Well I'm sort of new to being in a band...

We are a 'metal' band but I want it to be open to a lot of influences, so far since we're just starting we're doing 5 covers : enter sandman, walk, symptom of the universe, ride the sky and breaking the law

I wanted to do some Tool cover or something more 90s rock but every1 else said how starting out, when we play a show for metal fans...it wouldn't work to play metal and then rock which ppl may not like.

I guess thats a valid point...atleast until you get a name out and have a fanbase

Im not sure...any opinions?
Playing rock, metal, or whatever is all about doing your own gorram thing. If you, as a band, decide to do a Pantera-style cover of "Teardrops On My Guitar," there isn't a good reason not to. People don't like your choice of covers? Screw 'em.

I always like taking a non-genre song and making it in to your genre.

One of my old bands did that with Walk Like an Egyptian and I Think We're Alone Now.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Freunleven
People don't like your choice of covers? Screw 'em.

Terrible advice. Regardless of genre, you are an entertainer. If you fail to please your audience, you fail to entertain. If you fail to entertain, I sure as hell ain't booking you again, and you can bet I won't be putting in a good word for you elsewhere either.

If I was booking/managing a club, I need to remember that my first objective is to make money. If people leave, that's my kids who don't get a new bike (or even a used bike) this spring to replace the one they outgrew from last year. You can take your artistic integrity and shove it up your arse. If I have a family to feed.... you'd damned well better entertain. Keep people at my club, and keep them happy and drinking.

You want to do your own thing? Do it in your basement or school talent show or whatever, or bring a sh!t load of people who will come out and drink their faces off.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm just pointing out the reality that the people who book you are not doing so out of the goodness of their hearts. They are running a business, and unlike you, it's not a hobby. Remembering the whole 'business' angle is the first step in being successful.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 25, 2008,
^ i totally agree. granted you shouldn't sell-out and be stereotypical but try not to do something weird. like a distorted version of blackbird by the beatles isn't a great idea. but there's a good cover of day tripper by cheap trick that you could do. & there's some alt bands that you can cover like pink spiders & green day. so don't sell out but still try to play stuff that everyone can appreciate not just your stoner buddies
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
Quote by falling_process
when we play a show for metal fans...it wouldn't work to play metal and then rock which ppl may not like.

I think metal and rock are so closely related that it wouldn't matter if you played some rock songs as well. Most would consider Tool alternative metal though.
Quote by axemanchris
Terrible advice. Regardless of genre, you are an entertainer. If you fail to please your audience, you fail to entertain. If you fail to entertain, I sure as hell ain't booking you again, and you can bet I won't be putting in a good word for you elsewhere either.

Perhaps try some Iron Maiden or Megadeth?
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.