Ok, so after getting my latest guitar, I knew that the thing I had to do next was get an amp that could stand up next to it.

The style of music I play is generally metal, but I also play a lot of hard (and even some alternative) rock. If I only really cared about distortion, I wouldn't be having so much trouble, and I'd probably just buy a JCM800 or something similar. The problem is that I also use a fair amount of cleans in my playing.

At the moment, I plan on using a Marshall 4x12 as the cabinet.

When it comes to the budget, I'm going to try and not spend over 1500, and preferably not more than 1000. But I want to go for quality, something that will last, so the price isn't set in stone.

Any help would be very much appreciated
ya engl has good clean for the amount of gain it has
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Fireball would do it Engl is tight as all hell. Rivera is quite good, and I'd say Brunetti if you can find one for 15ish used. Mine was like close to 1700, you can even see it in my profile if you're that interested, and I'd hands down put that up against anything. I'm talking right alongside any Diezel, Bogner, or even and the top end Engl. But that's just my 2 cents. If money is an issue, again I second the Fireball or maybe an Invader by Engl, or a Knucklehead by Rivera, maybe even a carvin V3 just for $ saving sake.
well, if you like marshall and play metal and alternative, but want cleans AND good overdrive try the JCM900 4100
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Awesome, thanks!

I'll have to check out Engl, especially the Fireball and the Invader.

I've heard mixed things about the jcm 900 though, does anyone know firsthand?
well, i own one and like it a lot. the people that don't like it are usually die-hard JCM800 marshall Plexi vintage classic rock fans. the 900 is more high-gain and modern sounding, so those people generally dont like it as much. but it can do those genres well, and it has great cleans on it too.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's