im sure you could use a thumb pick on bass if you wanted but i want to get some second opinions on the matter. i know it would hinder me playing slap (frankly i still havent gotten that down yet) but would there be any disadvantages?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
I saw some guy do a crazy bass solo with a thumb-pick once. I wish I could remember the name of the damn video.

Anyway, I've used one before, and I don't think it really hindered my playing other than the fact that I suck at playing bass with a pick.
Robbie Merill of Godsmack uses finger/thumb picks. I tried it once but simply could not get the hang of it. I really can't think of any reason to do it. It was awkward and slowed me down.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i see no problem with using a thumb pick on bass. although most i have seen are thick. i prefer a thinner pick, with more flex to it. but if it works for you, go for it. there are plenty of good bass players using picks, of all sorts. welcome to UG Bass.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i see no problem with using a thumb pick on bass. although most i have seen are thick. i prefer a thinner pick, with more flex to it. but if it works for you, go for it. there are plenty of good bass players using picks, of all sorts. welcome to UG Bass.

thanks. and haha another one of us from texas!!!!!
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
I've tried it, and i kinda like it, i just used one a had for a banjo i never play. Yes, it most likely will impede your slap playing unless you can slap cleanly with whats left of your thumb. I enjoy the idea of being to have the crisp tone and attack from a pick, all while retaining the articulation that only your fingers can provide.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.