Anyone know of an amp that can get loud but stay clean? Like loud enough to stay up and get a little louder than big band? *Big Band being like big band music* I'm trying to find the right amp to get for Jazz band next year. My top price is $500, I might go $550, and no- I'm not tossing down the $ just for that, I also need a clean amp since my Windsor isn't exactly clean... but I didn't expect it to be either

Thanks in advance guys.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Just get a high-watt tube amp... You could try the Epiphone So-Cal around that price range, but I don't know how much clean headroom it has.
either a used roland jazz chorus or a fender hot rod would be great for that
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I would say for a bar gig, you'll probably need about 100 watts to achieve nice headroom to where it won't alter your tone too badly. That said, I find it hard to believe you are using all 100watts of that Windsor halfstack. Sounds like you need to roll back the gain, crank it, and manage your tone with your volume control on your guitar.
Used roland jazz chorus.
The dean of clean.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Rolan jazz chorus = $800...
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
I used a roland keyboard amp, it works brilliantly for super-clean jazz guitar stuff. I can't remember if it was the KC350 or 550, but it sure got the job done- it also doubles as a comfy chair since it's carpeted. I liked it a whole lot more than the Jazz chorus, it's the best you could do short of a used deluxe reverb which is probably just a bit out of your price range. SS amps work pretty well for Jazz band stuff IMO, especially if you'll be sharing with a bass, turning it on/off all the time, using it as a rolling table, and generally abusing it as I did.
Quote by Drewski09
Rolan jazz chorus = $800...

Try looking for them used.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Do you care if the amp is tube or SS, and how portable does it have to be? (ie do you need to be able to carry it in one hand?) There are several decent SS amps with crystal clear cleans well within that price range. For tube a Fender Blues Jr. would work.

I personally have a Hartke GT60c which is a hybrid 60 watt 1x12 amp. It sounds great and if desired will get brutally loud. Cleans are crystal clear at high volume as long as the gain is left turned down. It only cost $140, but doesn't have any modeling or effects other than reverb. (I use multifx for that though)
Part of your problem is that the windsor is designed to break up early. So your not going to get much headroom there.

Looks like your in the market for a good solid state like what many have suggested, the Roland Jazz Chorus. Look used and pray.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Pretty much any SS amp will have insanity headroom, I use one for cleans.
They're usually a lot cheaper than tube, so try out some in your price range, odds are they'll sound a ****load better than a spider. The guitarist in my school's jazz band (I'm the drummer) uses a 65w Princeton, and it sounds great. It's also plently loud. Oh, and they go for about $150 used.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money