hey im thinking of sending my guitar for a set up and setting on a drop d tuning. do i need heavier or lighter strings for that? and what gauge should it be?
I don't have my bass set up Specifically at all and i go between drop d, standard, Drop C and Step down, I think it would be fine without any set up, but since the tension would be slightly lower, if you need to, get heavier strings, It's usually fine with the same stings as you use for standard unless they are extremely light
for drop D? never heard of somebody having a guitar specifically set up for it... unless you meant drop C then yes, i'd go thicker.
You can get away with medium for drop C...kinda gets too loose with drop b without a set up. My band used to play a step down n we used to go into drop C too. But for drop D...you don't need to do anything cept to tune ure E to a D. Simple!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
i wouldn't waste your time doing anything special for just droped D. You're only messing with the E string anyways. I frequently drop my guitar down to dropped D and occasionally D standard and there is really no problem keeping the strings you have now, unless they're mad thin
I bought a five string guitar and I use the lowest string as a D so I never need to drop tune, if you've got the money for that it's a route i'd take but other than that I wouldn't advice any special strings
drop D doesn't need any heavier strings than for standard tuning. Sure, the E may become a tad floppier, but it really isn't by much.

^I have a 5 string, but still drop tune to D sometimes. Songs like Walk with me in Hell by Lamb of God would be absolute hell otherwise.
so what gauge should i look for in drop D? if thats the case, maybe ill just change the top string...
110 would help give it a bit more tension than standard 105.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by malaysia_mari
so what gauge should i look for in drop D? if thats the case, maybe ill just change the top string...

You dont need different gauge for Drop D tuning. I use standard 45-105 strings and have no problems playing in Drop D

The problem is when you change to 110 you need (posibly) to adjust your nut or the strings wont fit good. When you go back to 105 the string will be to loose.
So i wouldn't change gauge unless you are 100% you will keep playing on that gauge.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Cobalt Blue
for drop D? never heard of somebody having a guitar specifically set up for it... unless you meant drop C then yes, i'd go thicker.

Same here... Drop C go thicker for sure. Drop D, no need, really.