So I'm building a bigger rig, and I'm looking at using 2 4-ohm Peavey Blue Marvel 15" speakers for the low end. link (I'll build the cabs for these, have 2 Carvin 210's for the highs)

What I want to know is if these sound good with something they're not matched with. I like the sound of the TNT combo, but I've never heard these with anything else. I know the sensitivity is kind of low, but with an 800 watt amp does it really matter?

Also, if anyone knows a better 4-ohm 15" that can hold at least 200 watts, for a similar price, I'm open to suggestions.
Nope, no sig here.
Granted that the impedance is dependant on how the speakers are configured, you maybe want a bit more than 4 ohms in there.
Personally I don't rate Peavey at all, but their speakers are okay. Unless they're unbelievably cheap, I'd head for JBL's (I had a pair of JBL 15's in an HH cab years ago, and they were damn good), or Celestions.
Speakers aren't too expensive, so you might as well get the best; 'cos you'll save yourself a fortune by building the cab.
I've heard many good things about Peavey speakers, I'd go for it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I've used the same Peavey speakers for over 15 years (2x10 cabinet & 2x15 cabinet).
I've been happy with the sound and the speakers have really stood up to numerous gigs and time in the studio.
So they're good then? Thanks all!

An I won't need more than 4 ohms...it's a 2-ohm stereo amp. They are indeed much cheaper than JBL and Celstion.

Edit: I've been thinking about ditching the Carvins and building the 210s from Peavey as well, but I'm afraid it would make my sound too muddy...the Carvins are a lot louder.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 23, 2008,
Even tho it's stated as 2ohms, it can be risky to do so. John Swift runs does repairs on amps and I've seen him comment many a time on having to repair fried amps which are rated for a load of 2ohms but have still cooked bacon.

If you link me to your amp and tell me what cab config you want I can help you in finding the right loudspeakers, tell you what wiring configuration you'd need and the specs of the speakers themselves.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
^ There's no link to my amp...it hasn't been produced since the late 70's/early 80's

It's an EMC B800

outputs 1 and 3 are in parallel: connected to the same wire and grounded to the chassis.
2 and 4 are wired in the same manner to the other PA circuit.

(sorry about the pics)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 23, 2008,
Do you know the output at each load? ie wattage at 8ohms, 4ohms, 2ohms etc.

I'd run it at 4ohms personally, just to be safe.

So thats two 8 ohm cabinets.

2 x 10 consisting of two 4ohm speakers in series and a 2x15 if you want with two 4 ohm speakers in series.

EDIT - I miss read your post so here;s what I would recommend instead!

You have an amp with two sides, each side can hold 2ohms. Instead of this, i'd go for 4ohms a side, yes, you'll get less power but it'll be safer and you won't risk a fire!

Cab 1 - a 2x10, two 2ohm 10" speakers in series, if you cant get 2ohm, get two 8ohm and wire them in parallel (this will actually get a more even volume out the speakers too)

Cab 2 - a 2x15, two 2ohm 15" speakers in series, if you cant get 2ohm speakers, see above.

Plug cab 1 into Output 1 and Plug cab 2 to into output 2.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Apr 23, 2008,
And, maybe talking out of my ass here, but didn't John Swift say the 2-ohm thing wasn't good for old heads in Europe, with their 230V, as opposed to North American 115V heads?

And folks, heads that mono-bridge into 4 ohms are using 2 ohms per power amp. By the way.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Mono bridge is for dual-power amp heads.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
What does it do? I understand the term I think...bridging something into mono...but what gets bridged?
Nope, no sig here.
the two outputs into one speaker.
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Ah..that's what I was thinking but it's always better to ask.

So is running at 2-ohm per PA going to kill my head or not?
Nope, no sig here.
Not if the head is made for 2 ohms, no. And mono bridging is when you take a head with two power amps and use them the same as you would with one. Alternatively, dual mono is when you use the power amps with a full range of sound to power their respective cabs and bi-amping is when you use one power amp to send frequencies higher than x to one cab and the other to send frequencies lower than x to another.
So this would be Dual Mono then...thanks guys!

I understand the concepts of this stuff alright but terminology escapes me...ADD and all.
Nope, no sig here.
^Wait, wait, it's dual mono only if there are 2 power amps, and the vast majority of bass heads have only 1.

I shouldn't brought it up and confused you - the point I was making is that plenty of people run (for example) the Ampeg SVT4PRO, mono bridge, 4 ohms, and 1200W. A lot of people complain about 2 ohms, but those same people tend to think that running in mono-bridge is fine. I'm saying it's the same as running both power amps at 2 ohms.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
One of the problems with running amps down to two ohms when used for Bass Guitar is that the continuous Low/Bass frequencies produced by Basses required more energy from the amps making them work harder therefore they could and often did overheat; maybe things are better these days but it wasn't always the case in the not too distant past.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^ I see....I play a fiver too so this might be a problem.

What part of the amp would overheat? If it's the transformer I don't think I'll have a problem, and the rest of the amp has a lot of open space inside. It also has rather large heat-sinks on the PA circuits...I'm thinking (hoping) it will be ok?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by John Swift
One of the problems with running amps down to two ohms when used for Bass Guitar is that the continuous Low/Bass frequencies produced by Basses required more energy from the amps making them work harder therefore they could and often did overheat; maybe things are better these days but it wasn't always the case in the not too distant past.

But was I correct when I said I remember you mentioning that it's worth with European amps? Or am I making stuff up? I do that every now and then.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
If you play five-string, a 2x15 will probably work better than 10s for low end.
^ the low end is coming from two 15 inchers.

edit: I'm just gonna assume this will be ok...I won't be running it anywhere near the limit, and I can install a cooling fan if needed...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 25, 2008,