Well, I just bought a Crate gtd120 from Guitar Center a couple days ago and I'm not too happy with it. I cant listen to the "High Gain" channel for 5 minutes without feeling sick. The reverb never seems to turn off, the cleans sound like balls and a half, and I cant turn it up past 9 o'clock without it yelling at me. Plus, everyone on this site is saying that Crates suck ass. I want to return it but I think I lost the fuken reciept!

Anyways, could you guys please recommend a GOOD sounding amp that can keep up with a drummer in the $200-$300 range? And maybe possible for small gigging?
well for me marshalls are always good but can be pricey their high gain and clean is perfect but that depends on what you need to play.

i recommend marshall
Did ya pay with a card or cash?? If ya paid with ya card you can trace it back.... But thats all I can think of..

I agree ^^ Marshall
Quote by andrew.tran
well for me marshalls are always good but can be pricey their high gain and clean is perfect but that depends on what you need to play.

i recommend marshall

Quote by Kirenjob
Did ya pay with a card or cash?? If ya paid with ya card you can trace it back.... But thats all I can think of..

I agree ^^ Marshall

uhmm...

DOUBLE FACEPALM.

For $200-$300 the only marshall he's gonna be able to get will be just as bad as the amp he regrets buying. TS, DO NOT GET A MARSHALL MG OR AVT.

It is gonna be difficult to get a decent gig-worthy amp for that price, since most of them will be oversized beginner practice amps just like your crate, but if you go used you could probably get a decent 15w-30w tube combo (even 15watt tube should be loud enough for gigs, though it won't have much clean headroom), otherwise i'd say check out the Vox AD50VT or Roland Cube 60. There are also some pretty good Randall solid states if you wanna play br00talz only, although i'm not sure how much they cost.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by ratsalad780
Sorry for sounding n00by but, what exactly is headroom?

its basically how loud an amp can stay clean for before the signal starts to break up into overdrive. all amps do it when pushed loud enough, basically wattage refers to how much power the amplifier can take before it starts to distort. so 15 watts tube should be enough for gigs if you want an overdriven tone all the time (it'll sound great), but if you need cleans i'd recommend a 30 watt tube (i have a 30 watter, the volume is insane)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by ratsalad780
well would the handsome devil be too loud for home use?

I certainly hope not! I'm getting the head soon, together with an OD/Distortion pedal.
ha get urself a blackheart! they're amazingly good replication of a marshall tone.

oh and by the way, Blackheart is made through CRATE. crate's do NOT all suck. i think their higher end stuff is miles ahead of their low end amps. also, the blackheart amps are built like TANKS so you can depend on it lasting a while. it's fully tube. it's great tone. get that plus an OD pedal and you will be very happy!

but of course if you play darker american voiced modern metal (killswitch, As i Lay Dying, etc.) then it probably won't do the job as well as a Randall around that price range.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Just a fact of life that high quality, high powered amps cant be gotten for that kind of price. Prices are up on everything gonna need to get used to it.
^that's true, you have to be ready to spend some money on quality.

most people on here who are noobs go around asking for gigging amps at about the $300-400 price range, though myself, i just spent like $320(with tax) on getting a 5 watt all tube amp.

cost more than my AD30VT which had more bells and whistles and is about the same volume and can still keep up w/ a drummer. my my vox had a couple of problems over a couple years such as the input jack and speaker blowing. so there was less quality and more quantity.

with the blackheart it's definitely more quality and less quantity than most SS amps in the price range, but damn if it doesn't do what it does beautifully.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Just pointing something out - if you bought this from Guitar Center, you can probably return it without a receipt, and just get store credit in return. Not 100% sure on this, but it's pretty likely. Then, you can put that towards your new amp.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
yea you can return it to GC. they tend to have your whole sales history for the store on record. just ask em to print a new receipt. and you will only get store credit.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals