So I've got paintball in a few hours and I need strategies (ms paint if you will)

Page 1 of 2
As the title subtly hints, there's gonna be paintball soon. I'm in a team with rookies and I'm the only one with experience (which I got from call of duty 4 and other games. And some airsoft). I've refered my teammates to the battle of thermopyle but I fear that's not enough.

I need a good, solid strategy. We're playing capture the flag but it's not about points or anything, just winning the game so shooting out the other side works. There's about 7-8 players on each side.

I plan to use this strategy. The red dots are the supportfire players, and the blue ones are the flanking ones which will be moving forward once the other team is suffieciently pinned down. The red dots will stay in place.

If you have other strategies, use this template which is roughly what the map looks like:

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
^ That has come up but was denied very much like my tunnelbuilding suggestion. I tried telling them that the vietcong had great success with networks of tunnels but alas.
Crap. I'm out of ideas then.

Maybe persuade someone to dump a batch of paint over the opponents from a plane, Agent Orange in 'Nam style?
^ Sadly we have no air support

I suggested one of these, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-8N7RUnfG0

Filled with paint it would make awesome artillery.

And some of the players are girls, so shooting everyone in the balls won't work
The best way to go about it is using cover fire effectively and general gunplay.

Have your players set up at "angles", whereas one can set up and distract a player, having the opposing player become focused on them, and let the second player take them out. Your supportive players better have decent guns, or at least a strong trigger finger. Semi-autos aren't necessarily known for their suppression abilities.

Going over the basics also helps when playing with rooks. The idea that you don't need to watch the ball go to its target applies here. They don't hone in on players. This is applied in snapshooting, where you "snap", or move suddenly out of cover, engage and fire a few quick shots, and get back into cover. That doesn't go to say don't aim, but you don't have to watch every shot go to where it lands, you see.

Your players need to be spread better. Three players to a bunker screams obvious (to me, at least), and one player with an electronic marker will suppress the hell out of you until one sets up an angle. Spread into a three-two-two format, where three are up front, two are mid, and two are back players. This'll keep casualties to a minimum and maximize player communication.

COMMUNICATION IS KEY. Set up a quick lingo system with your teammates. Something as basic as "Two on the left side!" does wonders for on the spot team strategy. Awareness is everything.

Need anything else?
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Thanks graybass, that was very helpful!

I thought about a scorpion pinch strategy but it might be too advanced.

Quote by graybass_20x6
Your players need to be spread better. Three players to a bunker screams obvious (to me, at least)

The blue ones aren't going to stay in the bunker though

Quote by JackalUK
??

It's tough to find volunteers for a wall
Quote by Kensai
Thanks graybass, that was very helpful!

I thought about a scorpion pinch strategy but it might be too advanced.

The blue ones aren't going to stay in the bunker though

To the contrary, good sir.

If you want to lead other people (and I learned this the hard way), you're gonna have to rely on the tried-and-true motto of a personal influence, General George S. Patton.

You can't push a rope.

That being said, if you make the call to action, you can cause such an influence to which, people will follow.

To effectively play a scorpion tactic, just set up a heavy side, still spread out in a 3-2-2 fashion. I'd make the heavy side your right side (4 players to this side), as most people are uncomfortable shooting to the left rather than the right. Play the game of attrition; allow the other team to make a mistake, and DOMINATE on that mistake with a well played pincer movement. Over-aggression is a common occurrence in novice players, so patience will win it big for you here. Even better, with an over-aggression play, this allows your short side to completely flank the opposing side from the right, setting up for the most choice ass shots known to man.

I'm always happy to help.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Shame its a load of bollocks though. Spot the blinding obvious error of two offensive teams attacking the same point from opposite directions?
Flanking is the way to do it. Get suppressive fire on their positions so they can't move, send a couple of your team over to the flank via cover.

Then air-support in for Agent Orange...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by graybass_20x6
To the contrary, good sir.

If you want to lead other people (and I learned this the hard way), you're gonna have to rely on the tried-and-true motto of a personal influence, General George S. Patton.

You can't push a rope.

That being said, if you make the call to action, you can cause such an influence to which, people will follow.

To effectively play a scorpion tactic, just set up a heavy side, still spread out in a 3-2-2 fashion. I'd make the heavy side your right side (4 players to this side), as most people are uncomfortable shooting to the left rather than the right. Play the game of attrition; allow the other team to make a mistake, and DOMINATE on that mistake with a well played pincer movement. Over-aggression is a common occurrence in novice players, so patience will win it big for you here. Even better, with an over-aggression play, this allows your short side to completely flank the opposing side from the right, setting up for the most choice ass shots known to man.

I'm always happy to help.

I've been made the leader by default and they're eager to follow it seems, but they're still very inexperienced and don't want to get hit because they think they'll die pretty much. There's only 2 guys, the rest are girls who are very... girly. I'll suggest it though

I wish I had brought my airsoft radios...

Quote by Harvey1532
Shame its a load of bollocks though. Spot the blinding obvious error of two offensive teams attacking the same point from opposite directions?

The other side is even more inexperienced. They don't even have a leader so I don't think they'll pull anything advanced, or even offensive. They'll just sit at the same spot, duck when they're being shot at and get flanked quickly.
Two things... Try to have your front players sort of in the center of the field, but able to get angles on both sides of the field, as in, one can get people to the left, one to the right. Have your back and mids cooperate and take out the weaker side. Send a front or Mid to the bunker on the 50 (center of field between bases) on the left or right boundary. From this angle, if no one one that side is around to hit them, allows this player to have angles on any aggressive player on the other side. In speedball, this is even better because one bunker on the 50 tapeline is usally the snake, or long bunker, so you can get good angles anywhere.

You can extend this idea by getting this player into either the opponents back left or back right bunker. Once there, the enemy has to fight you with basically no cover, because the rest of the team is still shooting in the other direction. To get in their back bunker, your team can either kill off their weak side, or have a distraction like a front player moving up aggressively on the strong side while another player takes this key bunker on the weak side.

Another speedball tactic that is useful assuming you and your friends are not pussies is the art of bunkering. Bunkering is basically shooting them out from either on the other side of, over, or while running past their bunker. A good strategy is to have your back or middle players rain paint to pin down a player while a front player takes them out and takes their position as well. This can be achived by having back players spray cover fire at the side of the bunker with the better viewpoint of the field or the side of the bunker opposite the easiest approach angle of the bunkerer. Since there is paint being sprayed at one side of a bunker, they player can not shoot in that direction, and this makes them not only divert their attention, but leaves them defenseless on the covered side.

EDIT: Oh, and if you have played Army of Two the video game... Take it all in, the aggro stuff really does work. Players will shoot more at players shooting at them, leaving other players unnoticed. Players will have a tendency to shoot at ur teammate with a bigger, faster, or louder gun over your smaller less menacing one. Use this to your advantage.
Last edited by RIM99 at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Kensai

I've been made the leader by default and they're eager to follow it seems, but they're still very inexperienced and don't want to get hit because they think they'll die pretty much. There's only 2 guys, the rest are girls who are very... girly. I'll suggest it though

I wish I had brought my airsoft radios...

Good luck out there otherwise, and have a good time!

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Quote by Kensai

The other side is even more inexperienced. They don't even have a leader so I don't think they'll pull anything advanced, or even offensive. They'll just sit at the same spot, duck when they're being shot at and get flanked quickly.

Not that it even matters cos its only paintball, but flanking and pincer moves are fundamentally different...

End of the day, smear your naked body with cam cream and run around giving it big licks. Its only a game. Don't worry about no movement without fire and all that good stuff, just run around like a headless chicken. You'll enjoy it a lot more
Quote by MightyAl
Get yourself an armoured division.

thats AMAZING!!!

and sorry kensai.... i have no experience in paintball... aim to the chest if they're girls!
I made an artists interpretive prediction of the outcome.

Please note that Kensai has been pictured without a helmet for identification purposes.

Last edited by freedoms_stain at Apr 23, 2008,
This thread is hilarious.

Where are ya playing Kensai? Anywhere I know of?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"

thx guys

There were 3 matches, and they went as following:

Draw - I thought that was pretty good seeing as it was everyone in my team's first time and half of us had weapon problems.

Lose: My scorpion pinch manevuer didn't go as planned. Mostly because after the paintball instructor had blown the whistle for everyone to move, I was the only one who had moved in my team! I ran like hell for 8 meters in a somewhat open terrain and thought my team would follow to the other obstacles nearby, if yet a bit behind me, but they stayed in place! After holding back the guys on the right side I was flanked from the left.

I talked to the team about moving forward instead of staying in the same place. Apparently there had been a misunderstanding. When I said "take it slow, these guys are very overaggressive" they interpreted it as "stand behind the big wall and do nothing".

Lose:So everyone moved out... to the same obstacle!
We were shot down after a while.

It was fun, though, even though I don't like losing. I guess I'll go back to airsoft so I won't bitch as much

Quote by CLVPX
You have paintball experience from playing a game?

well, I bet thats useful.

Oh yeah, it's not like there's any strategy in games...

Quote by Demon Wolf
This thread is hilarious.

Where are ya playing Kensai? Anywhere I know of?

We set up a small, improvised paintballfield close to my school (vingåker, nära stockholm).
Last edited by Kensai at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Kensai

thx guys

There were 3 matches, and they went as following:

Draw - I thought that was pretty good seeing as it was everyone in my team's first time and half of us had weapon problems.

Lose: My scorpion pinch manevuer didn't go as planned. Mostly because after the paintball instructor had blown the whistle for everyone to move, I was the only one who had moved in my team! I ran like hell for 8 meters in a somewhat open terrain and thought my team would follow to the other obstacles nearby, if yet a bit behind me, but they stayed in place! After holding back the guys on the right side I was flanked from the left.

Lose: I talked to the team about moving forward instead of staying in the same place. Apparently there had been a misunderstanding. When I said "take it slow, these guys are very overaggressive" they interpreted it as "stand behind the big wall and do nothing".

So everyone moved out... to the same obstacle!
We were shot down after a while.

It was fun, though, even though I don't like losing. I guess I'll go back to airsoft so I won't bitch as much

Oh yeah, it's not like there's any strategy in games...

We set up a small, improvised paintballfield close to my school (vingåker, nära stockholm).

NO. ****ING. WAY.

I used to live in Vingåker. We moved from there in 1994.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Just fire wildly into the enemy territory whenever you see one of them.

I never do that, but hell it might be worth it.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by Demon Wolf
NO. ****ING. WAY.

I used to live in Vingåker. We moved from there in 1994.

I'm at kjesäter folkhögskola btw, you must've heard of it, right?
Quote by Kensai

I'm at kjesäter folkhögskola btw, you must've heard of it, right?

Yeah yeah, I've heard of it. Sweden is a small place.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I still have bruises from went I went paintballing 2 months ago....

And wow! Those were exactly the same results as when I went...

Draw, lose, lose...a proud day
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
^ i SEE MYSELF QUOTED. OH ****ING YEAH.

Sorry. I went paintballing 3 weeks ago, was f-ing fun.

The best strategy that we did, which didn't include any precise movement advance, was just de-moralising the enemy, shouting "****S!!! DIE, YOU ****S!!!"

We managed to win 4/5 maps, came first team out of the eight.
DANK MEMES
Quote by Kensai
Oh yeah, it's not like there's any strategy in games....

Seems like it! Woooo!

Sorry about the text, I didn't check the time of the OP.
Quote by Kensai

And some of the players are girls, so shooting everyone in the balls won't work

Shoot 'em in the tits.
<Han> I love Hitler
There is only one way left, If you still want to win.

Time travel.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...

Either you, or the flank/post (or) flank/flank guy will be the flag-grabber if you feel
capturing it would be necessary.

Make sure the ones staying back have nice expensive guns...ones that don't require
impressive aim to hit.. (such as rental guns and/or ****ty $300-400 and under ones)

It's a perfect elimination/ctf set-up.

one of the prone people (probably the one on the right as shown in pic) could be an optional peek-a-boo shooter instead of prone...or an optional advance.

Make sure your n00b flankers know when to take a dive/slide etc. too.
Good trait to have if you're going to move forward and avoid the paint.
Page 1 of 2