Since im a noob when it comes to building gears and stuff, I've been quite confused with the one statement, "Is it ESSENTIAL to have an amp for the effects pedal to work?"
I was originally going for B-52 AT head + cab but, after some research, I got another option to buy a Boss GT-8 multi-effects pedal + cab! But what is the difference between the 2 options? Is the sound going to be different or something? Or the pedal + cab combination won't actually work?

I seriously need help bcoz I have no idea wat to do! I know a pedal + amp combo would work but if I replace the amp combo with just the cab, would it still work?

Thanks in advance! And sorry if its abit annoying!
Maybe you get a little bit of sound, but it will sond bad, and it is almost impossible to hear. The pedal gives your guitar signal some boost, but almost all the amplification is done in the head. AND without a head you won't get a clean sound. Just buy the head, or a combo, you really need it.
^ in order for you to play anything you need a head and a cab. (or a combo, which is both)
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by jam_shahzeb
so, in order for me to play a multi-effects pedal, i need a head + cab?

no ,you could use headphones with the multi-effects pedal
lol he was just thinking about buying a 100 watt tube head, I dont think thats exactly an option. lol

Basically the amp boosts or 'ampliphies the signal and then sends it to thhe speakers. There are enough power inside the capacitors to kill you... a mulii effects pedal couldnt even pump out 5 watts of audio power... and if it could it would be a SS sound...

not the 100 watt, all tube power of that head your looking at
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ To be honest, I was actually thinking tht all we need is the head until I found out tht we need the a cab for it to work! lol

Anyway, wat abt during gigs and stuff? I mean, all the cabs and PA systems would be there so do I still need to take the head to operate the pedal? Can't I just do it directly?
you can plug a muliteffects into a PA or other powered speakers (ie computer speakers at home) but it wont work plugged into a cab
your going to need an amp... Doesn't necessarily have to be a head, you can get a nice tube combo amp, and it has the speaker built into it so you dont need two separate things. If you like the B-52, you might wanna looking into the b-52 at112
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
your going to need an amp... Doesn't necessarily have to be a head, you can get a nice tube combo amp, and it has the speaker built into it so you dont need two separate things. If you like the B-52, you might wanna looking into the b-52 at112

I dunno, are combo amps really worth it? Many ppl have been complaining abt combo amps...
Quote by jam_shahzeb
I dunno, are combo amps really worth it? Many ppl have been complaining abt combo amps...

COmplaining?

I good half of us here use combos, cos A)Theyre more practical and B) They can stand up to their big, stack brothers.

They just have a few less speakers, but they have the balls, mic em up if you want to sound as big.
Quote by PCSpeaker
COmplaining?

I good half of us here use combos, cos A)Theyre more practical and B) They can stand up to their big, stack brothers.

They just have a few less speakers, but they have the balls, mic em up if you want to sound as big.

Well then, any good combo amp u can recommend? An amp tht can play metal stuff like Metallica, Trivium, Opeth, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and has superb clean tones?
Quote by jam_shahzeb
Well then, any good combo amp u can recommend? An amp tht can play metal stuff like Metallica, Trivium, Opeth, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and has superb clean tones?

Marshall JVM 50 (I use one myself) And i play anything from The Police to Cradle of Filth and its still pretty damn good.

If you can afford it, a Mesa Boogie combo is amazing, they have epic metal tones and clean up well.

Opeth's guitar sound is a fair bit heavier than the rest you've listed, and all but Opeth use Marshall amps to my knowledge, so im going with the Marshall, and get a Blackstar Distortion pedal, which is fairly expensive, but gives you heavy as hell valve distortion (As it has a valve in it) if you want to get the Opeth tone.
Quote by PCSpeaker
Marshall JVM 50 (I use one myself) And i play anything from The Police to Cradle of Filth and its still pretty damn good.

If you can afford it, a Mesa Boogie combo is amazing, they have epic metal tones and clean up well.

Opeth's guitar sound is a fair bit heavier than the rest you've listed, and all but Opeth use Marshall amps to my knowledge, so im going with the Marshall, and get a Blackstar Distortion pedal, which is fairly expensive, but gives you heavy as hell valve distortion (As it has a valve in it) if you want to get the Opeth tone.

im pretty sure opeth use (or at least at some point used) laney gh100l amps.
Quote by PCSpeaker

The thing is i tht I needed a really versatile amp! Are the Marshall or Mesa Boogie really versatile?
yea, some of the models more then other. But I love my b-52 at112. it can handle everything from classic rock to metal. And the cleans on it are pretty good, but not the absolute best...

but no offense if you where thinking about running a multi effects pedal as an amp, what kinda of sounds did you expect from that?

basically a combo is the same thing as a head and a cab. Basically the head is attached to the speaker(s) made for easier portability, and usually cheaper. But they can have some draw backs, such as more headroom. Which basically, if im not mistaken, means that the clean channel doesn't begin to break up (distort itself) at higher volumes.

what kinda budget you looking for? and are you actually giging? and if you happen to be how big are the audiences?
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
yea, some of the models more then other. But I love my b-52 at112. it can handle everything from classic rock to metal. And the cleans on it are pretty good, but not the absolute best...

but no offense if you where thinking about running a multi effects pedal as an amp, what kinda of sounds did you expect from that?

basically a combo is the same thing as a head and a cab. Basically the head is attached to the speaker(s) made for easier portability, and usually cheaper. But they can have some draw backs, such as more headroom. Which basically, if im not mistaken, means that the clean channel doesn't begin to break up (distort itself) at higher volumes.

what kinda budget you looking for? and are you actually giging? and if you happen to be how big are the audiences?

Frm the multi-effect pedal, i was expecting tht OS-2 sound Boss has! And the delay effect too! Frm my hearing, they sound really good! And since most of the amps have really bad clean tones, i was thinking of getting a effect pedal to make it sound better! Which is why i was thinking of buying the GT-8! Plus, I also wanted to experiment with the sound and all! And the GT-8 has everything: a Wah pedal, overdrive mode, delay, reverb etc.
As far as the gig thing goes, the audience depends on the avenue. It can be crowd or 20-40 ppl or 100+..
Has far as the amp thing goes, r there really versatile amps out there? Which can deliver crushing distortion with superb cleans?
Hey, I play the same music as you from Opeth to Nile to Trivium and my Randall RG75G3 is sweet as. Its Half Tube and Half Solid State. It has kick ass cleans and dirt as hell overdrive. And it's a nice price. You can get the 100 Watt or the 200 Watt combos aswell but the 75 watt can still blow out windows (Did the three in my room :P) And it kick ASS for OPETH!! OPETH RULE!!!!! and it has a nice reverb (in my opinion) Good luck with your OPETH!!!!!

EDIT: It's loud as hell!!!!!! again i just had to say that.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Last edited by tomypg at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by tomypg
Hey, I play the same music as you from Opeth to Nile to Trivium and my Randall RG75G3 is sweet as. Its Half Tube and Half Solid State. It has kick ass cleans and dirt as hell overdrive. And it's a nice price. You can get the 100 Watt or the 200 Watt combos aswell but the 75 watt can still blow out windows (Did the three in my room :P) And it kick ASS for OPETH!! OPETH RULE!!!!! and it has a nice reverb (in my opinion) Good luck with your OPETH!!!!!

EDIT: It's loud as hell!!!!!! again i just had to say that.

wats the price?
Umm i got mine for $900 NZD soo about 700 USD if i straight convert it... Amps are very expensive in New Zealand same with everything to do with guitar!. Ill look around on the net real quick. There about $500 US. I dno about the price in Pakistan but anyway. OPETH RULE DON'T THEY!?!?!
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
TS, instead of that if you want a randall you should get an RG50TC, all tube and a much better option
Yea but whats the price? (wait just saw it.) Its about 70 USD more... I just don't like full tube combos with all the standy stuff. with mine its on or off.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Last edited by tomypg at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by tomypg
Umm i got mine for $900 NZD soo about 700 USD if i straight convert it... Amps are very expensive in New Zealand same with everything to do with guitar!. Ill look around on the net real quick. There about $500 US. I dno about the price in Pakistan but anyway. OPETH RULE DON'T THEY!?!?!

The problem in Pakistan is tht u cant get **** here at a cheaper price.. there's the shop near my house who sells Ibanez guitars and amps but charge an extra Rs. 10,000 (which is almost $160!!) Ppl like me, who after searching for hrs, finally know tht there are much better guitars and amps put there than Ibanez (although Ibanez are pretty decent though but just not my type..) This is wat annoys me the most! And if i tell them to order a Schecter or Jackson guitar, they're gonna charge a hell lotta money and I seriously dont have tht much, seeing tht the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR is for $850... So im gonna tell my cousins to buy one for me and ship it since they live in London! Or i might even buy it frm Dubai if i get the chance to go... And this is the reason i'm depended on clips on the net to see how the guitars or amps sound! Pretty awkward, I know...
Oh yeah, OPETH FOR LIFE!!!
But hey, TRIVIUM PWNS!!!
With a multi-fx, you could plug regular computer speakers into it for bedroom practicing, and plug it into the PA for gigs. I can assure you you'll never play a gig where they don't have a PA.

I usually do this at gigs, and not only does it sound great but you don't have to lug around amps and then try to mic them aswell.

Sure a tube amp is and always has been the ****, but until you have $1500+ to spend on that, multi-fx with amp modeling are a great option.
Quote by Aziraphale
Sure a tube amp is and always has been the ****, but until you have $1500+ to spend on that, multi-fx with amp modeling are a great option.

+1

Tht is why im going for the multi-effects pedal!

Btw, are the B-52 AT-112 Tube Combo amps worth it?
I got mine for 500$ (US$). And I love it, I play mostly hard rock and metal. Its gain channel, is the closest thing i've seen to marshall sounding for 500 and under. The valveking is also good, but I personally just didn't like the way it sounded... sounded kinda digital to me but its still a decent tube amp none the less...

Its cleans are good to, although not the best. But it definitely handles my needs. With a bit of reverb and my small clone you can get some really nice sounds out of it.

The gain channel is a little dark though. Lacks a certain trebly punch that I like with some of my music (Iron maiden or AC/DC) but I just got an EQ pedal off ebay that should fix that problem, haha.

Personally from what you've been saying I think that a tube combo is exactly what you need. But with most guitar stuff I would definately recommend trying it before you buy it although i can see how that would be a problem...
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Go to the Randall website and listen to clips there if you want. Just realized kirk hammet uses randall lol what a treat. I love the sound my randall makes and once you go Randall you never go back (to marshall). And I have had excellent customer service being in a far of country but they still help. And dude with the price... I have the same situation here but its $200 USD plus to just get equipment. But it is definatly worth saving up a bit more and buying it locally for the tech support and everything.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
I got mine for 500$ (US$). And I love it, I play mostly hard rock and metal. Its gain channel, is the closest thing i've seen to marshall sounding for 500 and under. The valveking is also good, but I personally just didn't like the way it sounded... sounded kinda digital to me but its still a decent tube amp none the less...

Its cleans are good to, although not the best. But it definitely handles my needs. With a bit of reverb and my small clone you can get some really nice sounds out of it.

The gain channel is a little dark though. Lacks a certain trebly punch that I like with some of my music (Iron maiden or AC/DC) but I just got an EQ pedal off ebay that should fix that problem, haha.

Personally from what you've been saying I think that a tube combo is exactly what you need. But with most guitar stuff I would definately recommend trying it before you buy it although i can see how that would be a problem...

Can u recommend some? I'm most probably going to buy myself a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR and/or Jackson WRMG Warrior!

Quote by tomypg
Go to the Randall website and listen to clips there if you want. Just realized kirk hammet uses randall lol what a treat. I love the sound my randall makes and once you go Randall you never go back (to marshall). And I have had excellent customer service being in a far of country but they still help. And dude with the price... I have the same situation here but its $200 USD plus to just get equipment. But it is definatly worth saving up a bit more and buying it locally for the tech support and everything.

True but i'll have ask them if they can bcoz they have to b*tch abt stuff like these.. And did u know Dimebag also used Randall before switching to Krank?