I'm putting in all new pick guard and electronics into a strat i just acquired. I know i wired the pick ups correctly, the steel shield clothing stuff to ground and the inner wire coming out of the black cloth as hot. Now I bought black and white wire from a shop to get all my pots and 3way switch together. On all this I used the white wire as my ground cause thats what it was in the old pickguards electronics and the diagram and black as hot. Now my question is, is there any difference between the black and white shielded wiring or is it just color coding basicaly? Should i be ok? Just extra nervous cuz this is my first complete wiring task and I don't wanna screw stuff up.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
well i dont know about this but wat is the worst that can happen if u screw it up?????? it wont cause a nuclear destruction
efff(while shaking fist in sky) did something wrong cuz nothing works. Gonna take it to my local shop in the AM. The only things I can think of that I might have done wrong are either fry a pot with the soldering iron or wire the switch wrong which I think is most likely.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Different colors sometimes correlate with different gauges or different types of winding.

It shouldn't be a problem as you're dealing with very small voltages.

Quote by pinksalmon
efff(while shaking fist in sky) did something wrong cuz nothing works. Gonna take it to my local shop in the AM. The only things I can think of that I might have done wrong are either fry a pot with the soldering iron or wire the switch wrong which I think is most likely.

Try and diagnose the problem before you send it off. Don't give up now!

If you suspect it's a pot, connect your pickup's hot/center wire directly to the output socket. You should get sound no matter what the switch/vol/tone is set to.

Solder one pickup to the switch at a time and check that it plays only with the appropriate selection.

You can't expect to nail it the first time out - you're bound to confuse a connection or two. The great thing about wiring a guitar is it's very hard to do any real damage.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Apr 23, 2008,
Last time I took an american Fender Strat apart I was shocked to see all the wires had been braided into a nice single cabling tree...it was a horror to remove the bridge pickup and put in a new little '59.

I know what you are going through, just relax, recheck your work and resolder if necessary.
I was weak, re-checked my wiring couldn't see any definite screw up so i put it together cuz I had a bunch of homework i was behind on(mostly cuz I usually decide to play over doing my school stuff then spent all last night doing this project) and dropped it off at the shop by my school before class. Luckily I know the owner cuz I'm always in there buying whatever I need from him, he said he'd have back to me by tomarrow and was only gonna charge me a half hour labor.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY