So i live in Australia and my grandfather is going to america next in a month or 2 for a holiday. So ive been looking into guitar over in America to compare prices and i have notcied that they are quite cheap compared to Australia. So i thought if i get him to buy me one I might be able to save a couple of bucks this way. But i was wondering if anyone had done this before and how much frieght insurance (is sending as a gift possible) and if i ould have to pay import tax. Any help would be good.

PS i didnt think this would fit in anyother forums so i thought i would put it here.
I doubt you would have to pay import tax, considering that you'll already have bought it and you won't be intending to give it to a shop for sale. There will be shipping fee's unless your grandfather brings it back with him.
My advice, regardless of shipping fee's, is do it. Guitars in America are way cheaper than here in Australia, and with the Australian dollar so close to the US dollar it'll be the lowest you'll ever pay for that guitar.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I've seen people charge $400USD freight before, but I assume the going rate is more to the tune of about $200.
However, you probably (in most cases) save more than that on the guitar itself.
^Yeah, when I got my latest guitar, it costs $450 US dollars, I got it for $750 with $250 off.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I got a guitar of ebay from america recently, retails for $2800 in some places here in Aus, got it for $858 all up so it worked out well. Take advantage of the great exchange rate!