Alrite so i have a problem which im finding really annoying at the moment...
recently when i practice i sometimes get this shooting pain at the base of my pinky finger on the underside of my fretting hand..especially when running through scales or doing quick runs
basically everytime i use my pinky to hit the lower strings there seems to be an unpredictable sharp pain right at the base of my pinky!
its really weird & it usually only happens occasionally before i somehow shake it off but i just started a practice session & i cant seem to get rid of it...i think its the neck digging into it but i dont understand why its only just suddenly happening when 3-4 weeks ago id never even felt the sensation...its preventing me from practicing properly cuz i mean it only hurts for a second but it really really hurts & i do have to stop for a moment whenever this does happen & therefore cant play...& plus im now developing a phobia for it which is making me play really weird ive tried wrapping some bubble wrap & tape around it but it still hurts whenever im hitting the 5th or 6th strings
so does anyone know whats going on & maybe had similiar experiences & what should i do about it?
you have aids.

EDIT: seriously, tho, i dont know!
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by ultimate_syn
Alrite so i have a problem which im finding really annoying at the moment...
recently when i practice i sometimes get this shooting pain at the base of my pinky finger on the underside of my fretting hand..especially when running through scales or doing quick runs
basically everytime i use my pinky to hit the lower strings there seems to be an unpredictable sharp pain right at the base of my pinky!
its really weird & it usually only happens occasionally before i somehow shake it off but i just started a practice session & i cant seem to get rid of it...i think its the neck digging into it but i dont understand why its only just suddenly happening when 3-4 weeks ago id never even felt the sensation...its preventing me from practicing properly cuz i mean it only hurts for a second but it really really hurts & i do have to stop for a moment whenever this does happen & therefore cant play...& plus im now developing a phobia for it which is making me play really weird ive tried wrapping some bubble wrap & tape around it but it still hurts whenever im hitting the 5th or 6th strings
so does anyone know whats going on & maybe had similiar experiences & what should i do about it?

How long have you been playing, years? Or just started? Could have simply bruised or spraned it. I've heard of shoulder pains b4 and UG has a lesson on how to play comfortably. Look for it. But maybe chill for a little bit and see if it heals up
Is your wrist bent and are you trying to reach a few frets down with the pinky?

Unfortunately, I was cursed with tiny ass paw-hands and fingers, so I get that exact same kind of shooting pain if I try to reach an Octave on my bass. It usually happens because I need to bend my hand a bit to reach the lower fret.

Try holding the guitar neck a bit higher until your wrist is a little straighter. That's my solution right now, unless someone more knowledgable has anything better.
Or you can use your pinky even it hurts, at last you won' feel a thing. I did that 3 years ago.. My pinky hurt a lot, I used it instead of stop playing. In a few days, the pain just went away.. haha.. This is a good advise...
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Footswitch to Toneblaster 250.
Korg AX3000G
Quote by etays69
How long have you been playing, years? Or just started? Could have simply bruised or spraned it. I've heard of shoulder pains b4 and UG has a lesson on how to play comfortably. Look for it. But maybe chill for a little bit and see if it heals up

umm ive been playing about 3 & a half years so not exactly a beginner...& this has nothing to do with my shoulder lol but yer maybe ive done something like that to it although theres no visual bruising or swelling of any sort which is weird...i guess ill just have to take a break for a few days..although to be honest im not sure im willing to do that since ive just started getting most of my sweeps really fast & clean & i usually play like crap after a couple days off haha

Quote by Haanz
Is your wrist bent and are you trying to reach a few frets down with the pinky?

Unfortunately, I was cursed with tiny ass paw-hands and fingers, so I get that exact same kind of shooting pain if I try to reach an Octave on my bass. It usually happens because I need to bend my hand a bit to reach the lower fret.

Try holding the guitar neck a bit higher until your wrist is a little straighter. That's my solution right now, unless someone more knowledgable has anything better.

yer my hands are fairly small but my fingers are pretty long..umm by a few frets down do you mean like literally a few frets lower or do you mean down the neck? cuz i actually find it happens less on the higher frets for some reason even though the neck is wider & i have to reach further for the 5th string...i think i get what you're saying so ill try that later although i dont actually enjoy playing the neck higher...

& yes guilty thats what i thought of first & exactly what i just did for an hour, playing through the pain...
except i couldnt play those heavy bottom string riffs very well since i was jerking my hand back every few seconds so yer the pain most definitely hasnt gone away just yet haha

thanks for all the help so far guys.
but does anyone know exactly what it is though? do you reckon it would be worth seeing a hand doctor or something if it doesnt go away over the next few days...?
& could it be seriously detrimental if i continue practising & just try to ignore it?
i get that sometimes.. for me i think its slight arthiritis. I practice like 3 hours a day and just make sure that you spread out your playing times so like for me instead of 3 1 hour sessions, 6 1/2 hour sessions etc etc

just take a minute or so break inbetween licks... I have my guitar on with my strap and start reading some music for a bit and it gives my hands a quick rest

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
oh, well i do play for 2-3 hours with pretty much no breaks really so that could be it...