I'm looking for strings that have a heavy bottom but a SUPER light top. do such strings exist?

I just put on new Dunlop heavy bottom/light top strings (.10 .13 .17 .30 .42 .52). I love the low end the 'bottom' strings give but the top strings aren't light enough for me (yeah im a pussy). the main problem is that i find it difficult to tap. i usually use lighter strings (.9s - .42s and .46s). But with those I don't get enough low end as I'd like and it becomes loose when I lower my tuning.
k try a different brand if it comes to it. i use elixer 10-52 light to heavys but i found that the 10s were although obvious the same size as ever other 10 they were much easier to play with. otherwise mix and match your string so you can have the heavy bottom and light top.
Quote by Blanco
k try a different brand if it comes to it. i use elixer 10-52 light to heavys but i found that the 10s were although obvious the same size as ever other 10 they were much easier to play with. otherwise mix and match your string so you can have the heavy bottom and light top.

ive been looking everywhere but cant find what im looking for, im not really fussed about brand.
Ye +1 to whats already been said. I think Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy bottoms are good, but again they're 10-52's, so other than that buy them seperately.
many stores will let you buy mixed sets. if not buy several sets and match em up how you like.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Just a concern, wouldn't the tension on your neck get all messed up by putting completely different string gauges on?

Usually you have to adjust your neck a bit depending on what gauge strings you have. Having light and heavy, wouldn't that just be like confusing for a neck, and couldn't you risk damaging it?

Just my initial thought.
I would just buy two sets...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by phillyguitar
Just a concern, wouldn't the tension on your neck get all messed up by putting completely different string gauges on?

Usually you have to adjust your neck a bit depending on what gauge strings you have. Having light and heavy, wouldn't that just be like confusing for a neck, and couldn't you risk damaging it?

Just my initial thought.

thanks for raising that
Quote by phillyguitar

Just my initial thought.

I wouldn't have thought that it would make a difference. As long as the trussrod is set for the overall tension of the strings it should be fine, but I only play 9-42's so I'm not too sure.
I think ernie ball has strings ligt top heavy bottom or something with 9-52. But i'm not 100% posititve

EDIT: no it's 10-52, but just do the 10's.. it's not that much of a difference with 9. I play 11's and i love them, if i play on a guitar with 9's they just feel so floppy.

EDIT2: You could also buy a pack of 7 strings from 9-52 and ditch a string
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by WtrPlyr
I think ernie ball has strings ligt top heavy bottom or something with 9-52. But i'm not 100% posititve

EDIT: no it's 10-52, but just do the 10's.. it's not that much of a difference with 9. I play 11's and i love them, if i play on a guitar with 9's they just feel so floppy.

EDIT2: You could also buy a pack of 7 strings from 9-52 and ditch a string

oh yeah never thought of that. anyway, i found some strings that may suit my needs - the dr dimebag darrell hi-voltage (.9-.50). only trouble is I cant find them anywhere (in australia)
Quote by phillyguitar
Word.

Go here and just check back and forth between sets.

Note how many extra pounds the bass side of the neck is going to be carrying vs. the treble side. There will be a massive difference in tension on both sides of the neck.

Yes, the truss rod will keep it flat, but there are going to be strong twisting forces on the neck.

Perhaps a better way to put it would be...Yours truly would NOT run a set this unbalanced ever.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
EB you can buy the individual strings in packs of 6 I think. So can mix and match what you want instead fo wasting half sets of strings. I know MF carries them this way.
If you plan to get better just get used to them. A week of practice should be enough. Cmmon i tap on my acoustic with 12s. It just takes a week. If you practice harder, it may take you even less. Seriously.

Its worth it. If you can play on a heavy gauge, you can definately play on a light gauge.
^ word.

I go into any music store after playing any of my guitars with 11's; instant guitar god.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"