Im getting a second hand drum kit in the next week, an i was wanderin does a drum kit need tuning?

how can i do this, and how do i know if i need new skins, all that kinda stuff,

any advice is good.
"
i know to tighten them. but kinda like on a guitar, what sound or note day they need to be
"
When you think it sounds good then it's right!

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
Quote by RedOrange
When you think it sounds good then it's right!

it cant be that simple can it?
"
oh jeeze

is this your first kit?

because you definatly need to tune it or the sound will become flat and ****

and you wil need new skins when the old ones sound bad, or become too worn out (they generally sound bad once they are worn out)

what kit you gettin?

yea it can be, it depends how you want it to sound
Quote by rougegratton

You can tune it to notes if you want, i've seen it done before but you usually just tune to what sounds right.

*sighs* guitarists...lol
Quote by imthehitcher
oh jeeze

is this your first kit?

because you definatly need to tune it or the sound will become flat and ****

and you wil need new skins when the old ones sound bad, or become too worn out (they generally sound bad once they are worn out)

what kit you gettin?

yea it can be, it depends how you want it to sound

ye its my first, i think its like a Pear forum kit, second hand
"
Quote by str84ever

Is this it? Are you getting all the hardware with it?

no, its silver the kit, but pretty much exactly the same setup by the looks of it,

im gettin it free by the way,
"
i was in your position about 2-3 months ago, so i'm still figurin' stuff out...
but from what i know, you can tune your drums to however you feel comfortable/whatever you like/what you think sounds good.
but there is a way to tune your drums.
*see below*
and i think if your heads are dented, you need new ones.

1. place drum on floor to reduce noise from head opposite the one you're tuning.
2. hit the side of the drum with a drum stick or your finger.
3. strike drum about an inch or two from the tuning rod and tune according to the pitch heard from step two.
When tuning the snare, make sure the opposite sides are tuned to eachover to make a well balanced sound. Also, when tuning the bass brum it is best to get a mix between a "thud" and "click", too much thud and it sounds sloppy and it dosent cut through the mix, to much click and it sounds crap and not strong enough.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
but can the snare drum and toms just be tightend to how i think sounds right, i mean cos that could mean that all drums would sound totally different...

i think im not understanding somthing here
"
Quote by rougegratton
but can the snare drum and toms just be tightend to how i think sounds right, i mean cos that could mean that all drums would sound totally different...

i think im not understanding somthing here

Yeah they can, but just make sure they sound even on there own
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
also, when tuning, they're will be bolts that you have to use the drum key on to tighten or loosen them, you have to hit close to those bolts with the drum stick on the skin, and make sure they're all the same basic sound.

have fun =D
ive been playing for maybe a year now, a little less actually

tune to what sounds good
get the $8 wuhan splash, best cheap cymbal in existence
and dont worry too much about being the next buddy rich, just have fun with it

and tell your neighbors to go to hell
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal