Hey guys. I have to do a research project at school and my topic is the performance aspect of a music profession, and I seem to be having troubles finding stuff through Google. I was wondering if anyone know of some really good sites for information on what goes into a performance, and what is required to be a performer. Thanks in advance
Send out a press kit and demo to some clubs, talk to the manager and try to get a gig. Practice, Practice, Practice. Go to the club on the day of the show, set up, sound check, before show rituals (usually listening to AC/DC and vomiting) play the show, thank the crowd, have some beers, repeat
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
i think he means what does a person have to be able to do, physically and mentally, in order to perform music in a live setting.

there's a few things that the musician has to be in full control of in order to properly play live.

the musician must be able to focus on the moment, to focus on right now, so as to play well with the band, but be fully aware of what he must play next, without it clouding his thoughts of what is being played right now. Memorization is a big part of this, but so is learning the ability to access the memory of how to play each part instantaneously and on command. There is no time to struggle with sounding something out from hazy memory when you're live on stage.

getting back to memorization, a musician must be able to completely internalize the parts they are going to play on stage, to the point that they can play them immediately on command, with no adjustments in feel or tempo necessary. The parts should be in "muscle memory." The more one practices putting music into muscle memory, the better one gets at it, and it is no surprise that some bands can play for 3 or 4 hours a night and not forget the music. A lot of this comes from being aware of what the other players are playing, and how your own part lines up with that. You can use this technique to take cues on the fly as to what you should be playing next. This is why there are drum fills.

The musician must be able to handle the physical basics. Though keeping time is also a mental process, a player almost always has some sort of physical involvement in the music, be it tapping a foot, bobbing their head, jumping up and down like a dope, dancing along while playing, etc, etc etc... A musician must be able to play standing up (in most cases) and be able to play in time with the band for the entire show, without error, usually non-stop for 45 mins to an hour, save for the few seconds between songs. This kind of ability takes nothing but practice. Constant practice. The physical ability to perform well can be lost without regular practice. It is easy to regain, but not without solid hours of practice to get your chops back into shape.

Also on the physical side, players must, as they practice and develop their technique, make sure they find ways to avoid or to properly resist the pains and strains of playing their instrument. Guitarists must worry about wrist pain, tennis elbow, tendon strain in their fretting hand, carpal tunnel, sore shoulder from a heavy Les Paul, finger pain from over-playing, finger pain as a beginner, and sore backs from hunching as they play sitting down. Drummers have all kinds of ankle and shouler issues, and signers have all kinds of throat and digestive issues. Horn players are most apt to go deaf or get tennitus, but it can happen to anyone, so proper ear protection should be worn.

Hope that helps a bit
That does cover part of the information I'm looking for, and is definately a little more credible for my research. thanks