So I just learned pinch harmonics in a whole minute and a half and before I continue to practice them I just need a question answered...

Are you supposed to hear both octaves when you play a pinch harmonic or just the high pitched ocatve?
depends on where you hit the harmonic.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
the new members forum is not for guitar questions

*moved*
from daylight...
...into darkness
You should only hear the high pitch, but I usually hear both too. Getting just the high one comes with technique which you get from practice. I find that cranking the gain and volume on my amp also helps
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Quote by Billyjson
You should only hear the high pitch, but I usually hear both too. Getting just the high one comes with technique which you get from practice. I find that cranking the gain and volume on my amp also helps

Thanks man
It's possible (and sometimes desirable) to hear the lower frequency too (original fretted note), they're known as semi-harmonics. However, it's worth working on them to make sure they sound clean, just so you can.

If you're on the lower strings, my experience is that they'll frustrate you for ages, then you just 'get' it. Remember to dig in a fair bit if it's on a thick string; eventually they'll be second nature. Gain and treble helps too.