So i'm studying sight reading right now at Guitar College and they just kind throw you in the deep end by putting stuff in front of you, telling you where each note is on the stave and saying 'Sight read it'. Well, i know about where the notes are on the stave and the pitches they relate to on guitar, my problem is that i don't know where the notes are so well that i can automatically translate what i see into my fingers to put onto the guitar. It takes a me a couple seconds to work out what the note is, and sometimes I have to use the 'Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge' rhyme to work it out. I know the key is practice, practice, practice but i was wondering if there were any guitar related online lessons anyone knew of that would help me out.
when i was learning to sight read, i would read ahead a bit and write the note names in once in a while so i could check where i was as i was going along.. but make sure you write them in before you start playin
Quote by kurt5494
So i'm studying sight reading right now at Guitar College and they just kind throw you in the deep end by putting stuff in front of you, telling you where each note is on the stave and saying 'Sight read it'. Well, i know about where the notes are on the stave and the pitches they relate to on guitar, my problem is that i don't know where the notes are so well that i can automatically translate what i see into my fingers to put onto the guitar. It takes a me a couple seconds to work out what the note is, and sometimes I have to use the 'Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge' rhyme to work it out. I know the key is practice, practice, practice but i was wondering if there were any guitar related online lessons anyone knew of that would help me out.

just get a book of music to practice reading out of. Sight reading is just reading on the spot..... you can read this in english because you have read English often enough that you can just do it. Music is no different..... read alot....... get good at it. No short cuts or tricks.... just do it. Then sight reading wont be so difficult.

It takes time, and dedication.
Yeh, i mean i have the time and am willing to learn and just practice as often as i can. but writing the notes out beneath the stave doesn't seem a good idea coz i'd just end up looking at the letters i've written rather than the notes on the stave. I'm thinking about buying all three berklee volumes but i wondered if there was an online thing i could use in the mean time that would be a step by step thing with sheet music designed for open position reading
Quote by kurt5494
Yeh, i mean i have the time and am willing to learn and just practice as often as i can. but writing the notes out beneath the stave doesn't seem a good idea coz i'd just end up looking at the letters i've written rather than the notes on the stave. I'm thinking about buying all three berklee volumes but i wondered if there was an online thing i could use in the mean time that would be a step by step thing with sheet music designed for open position reading

yeah, don't write the letters in, that defeats the whole purpose.

Im not sure about any sites that will help you read, but yeah get a book. Even the Mel Bay books, or anything of that nature will be fine.
Quote by kurt5494

Yea you could try musictheory.net for some basic trainers & lessons, I'd also highly reccomend the berklee books. They are clearly presented & progressively more challenging. Might as well get the one that comes with the dvd too, the chair of the guitar department walks you through the first volume, plays examples so you know how it sounds, and there are many duets so you can play the first guitar part while he plays the second and so on.