so, i heard the d minor is the "saddest" key of them all, is this true?

i thought that any minor scale is sad any major is happy sounding...but apparently not.

whats meant to be the happiest key?
will a mode be happier or sadder depending on the key its in?

thanks for reading, hope for replies

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Back 'in the day' (classical music time) each key was for a different mood, so there'd be one for 'happy', one for 'sad', one for 'angry', etc etc. I don't know what the different keys/moods are, but it's something for you to research.
Thats on Spinal Tap. Spinal tap =/= serious.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Yes, especially if it's a Mach-inspired piece in D minor.
Quote by dangorironhide
Back 'in the day' (classical music time) each key was for a different mood, so there'd be one for 'happy', one for 'sad', one for 'angry', etc etc. I don't know what the different keys/moods are, but it's something for you to research.
That was back in the day, back before equal temperment.
Quote by monkey_dancer
Thats on Spinal Tap. Spinal tap =/= serious.

i havent seen that.... i just remember someone saying about a bach piece, that it was written in d minor - "the saddest key of them all"

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"This piece?.....This is called 'Lick My Love Pump'"
The saddest key or happiest is a matter of opinion, there is no set one. Most people don't even have an opinion. For me the saddest is F#minor and the happiest is G maj
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by top of that website
Eb major The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God.

Quote by middle of that website
Eb major Cruel and Hard

Hmmm. Nowadays its a matter of subjectiveness.
Well i think it relates more to piano than guitar. It comes from classical music where some keys sound 'brighter' or 'darker' than others. It can take a more refined ear to hear it and i myself don't really hear it but my high school music teacher used to tell us that. She told us that certain chords in certain positions sound brighter and happier than others, i think it was something like Eb major in position 4 or something was the brightest. but i don't think it applies much to guitar or modern popular music. plus there's the whole Lick My Love Pump Thing
That all depends on how you play the song.
Quote by LazySandman
f

the time has come (lol, get it?)

Gabel istheshit!
(But I is moar shitz!)
I believe it comes from intonation issues with certain instruments. some had different "sounds" because the notes were microtonally wrong. Thats what I heard anyway.
Pre-equal temperament thing. Some notes would be sharp and others would be flat depending on the instrument, and this particular system of out of tune notes made intervals unequal(a minor third A to C would be a different interval than a minor third C to Eb), which gave keys somewhat of an individual sound.
Its all psychological. You only think D minor is the saddest key, because you think D minor is the saddest chord. The reason why you think D minor is the saddest chord is because the third, which determines, its tonality, is in the soprano. If you tune to B, then all of a sudden A minor would be "saddest".