I auditioned for Springfest this year (an outdoor festival hosted by my college consisting of over 5000 college students and others)

except only the drummer and I showed up, they offered however that we film ourselves and give the recording to them so they can judge us.

So we were talking about what song to play on the video, my idea was to thrash our nuts off with "BLACK METAL" by Venom. my rythm player and singer believe we should play FooFighters, Audioslave, Queens of the stone age to appeal to the judges

To which i said Oh ok, trick them with ONE song, then go on stage and thrash!
but they said "no, we should focus all our setlist to appeal to the majority of teh audience)

This is where it all collides... the thing is that there are 8 bands playing, and 8 of those bands i know for a FACT are all playing the same genre of alt. rock/indie, same kind of low-key melancholic 3powerchord stuff... even if the masses LOVE it, wouldnt it make sense then for us to play stuff to Appeal to the MINORITY of the audience? you know? the true metalheads who'l be listening to alt all day

and besides, even if the songs arent well known, whats wrong with INTRODUCING the audience to tunes from Venom, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Saxon, Angel Witch etc etc
Play the metal.....Say that because they didn't show up in the first place, they shouldn't get to decide.....Because, if they were there, you would have played metal anyway right? So why change it.
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Listen to the other two, it makes more sense.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Quote by fattymcfatten
Play the metal.....Say that because they didn't show up in the first place, they shouldn't get to decide.....Because, if they were there, you would have played metal anyway right? So why change it.

the rythm player didnt show up because he had work that day and he told us ahead of time too.

but yeah, I figure even if its not "the pretender" the majority of people can atleast STAND the songs

but to be honest, if i were playing "black metal" for a crowd (in which id do guitar and vocals) and at the end of the song we we'd get booed off stage?

ID ****IN LAUGH AND SMILE because it was SO much fun to play and id love to know we got such a STRONG reaction out of them... I cant explain it, but for some reason i'd find myself having a bloody smashing time!
but I mean really, its selling out our musical integrity.

i told him "this is the kind of attitude that made metallica create st-anger!"
Quote by Rising

ID ****IN LAUGH AND SMILE because it was SO much fun to play and id love to know we got such a STRONG reaction out of them... I cant explain it, but for some reason i'd find myself having a bloody smashing time!

I'd do exactly this. Except I'd have played the Spice Girls.
Well as long as he let you know ahead of time it's okay. But seriously, play the music YOU want to play, not what you know the want hear. Cuz then you're not being the musician that you want to be. They are already censoring you with the fact that they don't like your music. Don't let them do it, man. Don't let 'em.
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Quote by fattymcfatten
Well as long as he let you know ahead of time it's okay. But seriously, play the music YOU want to play, not what you know the want hear. Cuz then you're not being the musician that you want to be. They are already censoring you with the fact that they don't like your music. Don't let them do it, man. Don't let 'em.

So I was thinking about booting out the rythm player and singer (the singer definitely since he ditched us for no reason yesterday) and the bassist because... we have no CLUE where he is!

So it' be me on guitar/vocals
skyler on drums
and we"d find someone else to play bass, record us doing black metal or something
guess wed be a power trio, like Rush... except with some BALLS

I love rush though
Quote by Rising
but I mean really, its selling out our musical integrity.

i told him "this is the kind of attitude that made metallica create st-anger!"

It's not selling out, it's just being logical.

If it was a metal festival, you should definitely do a black metal setlist, but for a festival like this, you'd just get boo'd off and be a laughing stock.

It's your own ass on the line man.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Firstly, Queens of the Stone Age and Audioslave etc... and powerchord bands like Greenday, so don't refer to them as that.

Secondly, play what you want...music is a personal thing, screw the 'masses'.

Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.