The overall idea behind this thread is to compile a list of guidelines to make trading go smoother. These are based of my own experiences. I figure others can add tips, and help it grow.

So Here We Go:

1. If you give someone a day to respond to an offer, wait it out. Don't sell the item you were planning on trading to someone else while waiting for a response from the first person.

2. If someone makes you an offer, and you aren't interested, please say so. Don't lead the other person on with counter-offers and haggling, and end it by saying you weren't in the first place.

Agreed. Good ideas. I shall contribute.

3.There has been SEVERAL scamming threads over the past while. most notably, that dodgy ESP "owned" by James Hetfield. Its still open, and I am the only one who reported it. PLEASE, report dodgy posts, as we dont need that crap clogging up the forum.

4.No matter how much you think its not required, please leave descriptive feedback after every trade. Its not compulsory, but it damn sure helps your future sales if someone said you're a good trader. Descriptive means post what you think went well, and what went bad.

I'll definitly contribute more soon.

-Mick.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
I'm glad someone finally made a thread like this.

5. A good description and pictures. If you don't have any pictures handy at least link to a site that will have something that looks similar. As far as this goes make a good description not just "Fender strat good condition" Pics of the actual item help your credibility and a description lets people know what they're getting into (maybe there's damage or possibly parts were changed).

This one really isn't too big a deal because most ads I've seen have all you need to know. It does happen where someone will not be very descriptive and you'll get the next few posts asking for pics/info. Maybe we should also have a paper with a username on it next to the item, I was surprised nobody does that around here.

I also like the idea of the other guy shipping first. I've seen a few ads mentioning something along the lines of "you ship first if you don't have any feedback/credibility around here". It only makes sense and I think maybe it should be mandatory. It helps people from getting ripped off and it's probably the safest way to do exchanges.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I agree pictures help it sell. As soon as I put up pictures of stuff, it tends to go. Also, people love to look at clean guitars. They aren't going to be interested in something with an inch of finger board cheese and that fingerprints all over it with rusty parts. Clean up/lube up your guitar if possible. Also make sure it's setup. It makes it look like you know how to treat it.

Next, list as much as you know about the guitar, but don't list anything you DON'T know! If you aren't sure, ask or state clearly you don't know at the bottom. Try to get in as many details as possible. The more you know, the better you look.

Try to provide as much contact info as possible in a post or your profile. IM, email, or maybe once you're deep in a deal, give the person a call. This makes it seem much more secure, and gives a good idea how accessible a person is and if they are a scammer. Scammers often won't go through the trouble of all sorts of IMs, an email, or to talk to you on the phone. Plus you can check registration dates to make sure their aren't decoy accounts.

If you think something is fishy in an ad or the person has a bad rep elsewhere, say it! It certainly is a heads up as to what you might be dealing with, and what to expect when something goes awry. But likewise, when you're wrong, be a man and own up to it. This goes for either sides of a debate over something. Sometimes though, the best course of action is to agree to disagree.

Finally, I do disagree on the part of about requiring your first deal to make the newb ship first. If I had not been dealing with someone who had loads of transactions, I would not of done it. This just encourages MORE scamming, and is about the dumbest thing you can do. Would you ship a guitar without being paid first? I don't think so. That is the number one way to get taken. Always take tracking numbers. If the tracking number or Delivery confirmation number (USPS) won't go, chances are something is sour. This does allow you to intercept the package and have the shipment canceled.
Edit number 5: Don't post pictures of the item in online stores, like this but rather a picture of your OWN item, so people can see what condition it is in, rather than just WHAT it is.

6: Post a descriptive link to your sales thread in your sig.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Edit number 5: Don't post pictures of the item in online stores, like this but rather a picture of your OWN item, so people can see what condition it is in, rather than just WHAT it is.

Yeah maybe that is a better idea not to post pics from a store but for some guitars that people don't know what it looks like it's best to link to somewhere like zzsounds where you get a picture, reviews and an in-depth description of what is and what it has. I personally think that makes up for not having a pic, better than nothing. That's what I meant in my original post, at least link to a site (not just the picture)

There's been more than one time I had to look up a guitar to see what it had and what it looked like.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab