Hi pit, sorry to bother you but I'm looking to see if we have any bagpipe players here.

See, I have always wanted to learn the bagpipes, in fact, learning the guitar was a compromise between me and my parents, so anyhoo, I live in Austria, we have no pipers here to learn from and I believe now would be a good time to start.

A music shop just got in a practice chanter and 'teach yourself' style DVD. Basically I was wondering if it would be a good idea to teach myself to play the chanter now, then, when I move back to Scotland get a teacher and move up to the full pipes.

Any advice? Is this a good idea? Would it be impossibly hard to teach myself the chanter?

ive been playing for a year. i reccomend getting a teacher for the chanter, otherwise you can develop bad habbits.

edit: didnt read that you would get a dvd. it might help, but i know that my teacher hears a lot of mistakes that i dont hear, and you will need to be very patient with it. its a strange feeling at first cause you have to keep your fingers flat on the chanter.
Quote by hippiecrack69
ive been playing for a year. i reccomend getting a teacher for the chanter, otherwise you can develop bad habbits.

edit: didnt read that you would get a dvd. it might help, but i know that my teacher hears a lot of mistakes that i dont hear, and you will need to be very patient with it. its a strange feeling at first cause you have to keep your fingers flat on the chanter.

Is it absolutely necessary that I get a teacher? I'm kind of hoping that I can avoid the bad habits because of playing guitar for so long, whenever I play guitar I concentrate on my technique and I very rarely suffer from bad habits, I'm hoping this would reflect in learning the pipes. Also, even if I do develop bad habits, are they hard to overcome?
Quote by blynd_snyper
Is it absolutely necessary that I get a teacher? I'm kind of hoping that I can avoid the bad habits because of playing guitar for so long, whenever I play guitar I concentrate on my technique and I very rarely suffer from bad habits, I'm hoping this would reflect in learning the pipes. Also, even if I do develop bad habits, are they hard to overcome?

their not too hard to overcome. the most common habbit people have is using their finger tips to play, and not moving their hands at the same pace. if you life off one hand before the other when you should lift them at the same time, then it makes a crosing noise which is really easy to hear on bagpipes.
Quote by hippiecrack69
their not too hard to overcome. the most common habbit people have is using their finger tips to play, and not moving their hands at the same pace. if you life off one hand before the other when you should lift them at the same time, then it makes a crosing noise which is really easy to hear on bagpipes.

Alright, I think I'll try and learn them, then if I come across any major difficulties I'll ask a teacher in my school (he plays but he doesn't teach, I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving me a couple of pointers though).

Thanks for the help, I'll just let this thread die now I guess.