So i dont know if this is the right forum but...

I suck ass at singing but i want to improve so i can do back up in my band, anyone got any tips?
take lessons if you're that serious, just a few so you know the basics, and practice
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Get a keyboard, so you can practice and be pitch perfect.
Practice scales and arpeggios, making sure theres a smooth sound between the chest and the head voice. Also learn to breath properly, make sure the chest doesn't rise and the ribs expand at your back.
That should be enough to get you started.
Quote by Cyberbob
Get a keyboard, so you can practice and be pitch perfect.
Practice scales and arpeggios, making sure theres a smooth sound between the chest and the head voice. Also learn to breath properly, make sure the chest doesn't rise and the ribs expand at your back.
That should be enough to get you started.

Actually, listen to this guy, instead of me being a retard.
LESSONS. They will also teach you how to practice. Seriously, lessons have helped me a WHOOOOLE lot.
I know a lot of very nearly tone deaf girls who took choir all school year and have noticeably improved.

So I guess an hour every day will probably yield results in the long run.

though it sounds odd, get "The Zen of Screaming" or the sequel. It has a lot of good information on SINGING not just screaming. A problem that I have is that I don't have someplace to go and feel comfortable singing it, so I sing in the car a lot. Though it is harder to sing well when you are sitting down, not being self conscious about it will make you sound a lot better
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Quote by Hannakins
I know a lot of very nearly tone deaf girls who took choir all school year and have noticeably improved.

So I guess an hour every day will probably yield results in the long run.

It's all about learning how to place notes, your mind doesn't sort it out by itself, it's something you unfortunatly have to learn.
But improvement comes really quickly, an hour a day of proper practice, not just singing songs, will work wonders in a couple of weeks.
Zen of Screaming which is a GREAT place to start. Melissa is a friend of mine and a great teacher that has inspired me to teach as well and we may even collaborate on some seminars and expanding the ZOS teaching school on a national level soon.

The main thing is to learn control and there are a few aspects of that. First is breath control, and basically that means breathing from the right place in your body which is most easily described as your gut. Breathing in the chest puts un-due strain on your vocal cords so work on dropping the breath to your gut area and think of it like pushing your beer belly in when ya see a hot chic and then letting it out when she walks away! Keep in mind not to expand the chest or "lift up" when you breath, again this chokes the cords, so think of the stomach moving the air straight forward and straight back.

Then it's about getting those quick bursts which Melissa calls a " By the Way" breath. I have taught this by having my students mimic a gorilla or Tim Allen from Tool Time, ya know that OOh OOh OOh kind of grunt. By doing that and being conscious of keeping the breath centered in that lower area you can start to build your control and find your center of power.

The last part is getting the raspy grovel or the HEAT as she calls it, in your voice. Let this be natural. If you yell or get agitated that sound naturally comes to the voice so you want to harness that sound and contrpl it in a manner that won't mess us your throat. So start with the breath centering, then do some grunts to find that burst of power and then turn up the heat. Little by little you'll get stronger and be a bad ass screamer!

With these three core principles in mind ANYONE can develop a great screaming voice. The thing to remember is it takes time and patience to get it to that point where it comes easy every time and the power increases. Also try and not over-think any technique, try it a bit and if it seems like too much info to process, take a break and come back to it.

Best of luck!

SVH
http://www.scottvonheldt.com
"When one loses himself in his art, the art then comes to life."

-Hazrat Inayat Khan
Drink lots of water before practicing then make lots of pig grunts and growls (breathing INWARDS against your vocal chords to make those noises) as i heard it'll put some extra mucus or something on your chords, giving you better performance or something. I dunno, i don't sing, i hum.
I doubt very much he's talking about screaming.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Lots of practice with scales to help stay in key. Do some vocal exercises. Don't smoke or drink coffee before a gig. And also, strange tip but I've heard pineapple juice before a gig helps a bit. Our lead singer does it all the time and apparently it works for him.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y
nachocheeez, that was awesome.
Quote by rorythefaggot
I doubt very much he's talking about screaming.

I know. My mate (who dosn't do screamo) does the piggy noises while doing his vocal warm-ups. Everyone has a different vocal warm-up cos everyone is different.
First find your voice bass, baritone, tenor, whatever. Then try solfedge its that do re mi **** but it helps a lot learn the solfedge patterns from a few keys that match with your voice type. and try and match up with your guitar.