just wondering cause i got a body blank thats about 1 & 3/4 thick im thinking a SG is thinner
an sg is pretty thin.....
I'm not sure of the exact measurement, but you don't have to make a 1 3/4" thick guitar just because you have a 1 3/4" blank. You could always plane it down (assuming you have access to a planer...) to a thickness you like.
& you don't have to copy an existing guitars exact specification
make it a bit thicker, give a slight more bottom end.

But yea, if you do want to replicate it, it is slightly thinner, but not much more tbh
I would also like to know this, as i want to build one as my first guitar, and i need to know basically to see if i need new tools
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Well what tools do you have now?

To cut the body you need at least a jigsaw, but a band saw is even better.

To rout it you need, well a router lol.

I'm not sure what else... oh uhm a plane, and a rasp I think to do contouring. I mean, shaping can be done with sand paper to some extent... but only for finishing touches really.

To make the neck I think a rasp is best, or a spokeshave but I'm not sure.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i got a 1 peace mahogany blank so i would need to take it some where that can plane 17 inches wide my planer only planes 12 anyway i have all the tools i was just wondering how thick a gibson sg was may be i'll get a maple top and build a les paul
1 1/2 inches thick. Well, you could rip your mahogany board up the middle if you're dead set on making it thinner, and plane it in 2 pieces, but I wouldn't.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
1 1/2 inches thick. Well, you could rip your mahogany board up the middle if you're dead set on making it thinner, and plane it in 2 pieces, but I wouldn't.

did you actually measure one, or did you find this on the internet?
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
uh-both of my sg's are about 1 1/4 inches thick so, if not one, but two are that thick, an sg is generally 1 1/4 inches thick
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Really? I'm wrong lol. Damn god thing you guys showed up lol. Sorry I generally try not to give advice I don't really know, but I did this time.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
warmoth bodies are naturally going to be thicker because its all bolt on- which requires a thicker neck joint
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Can't you get ones without pre drilled holes and set the neck yourself? I thought warmoth did that....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I have been building guitars for about 7 years now. An SG is approximately 1 3/8" Thick 1 1/4" is way to thin to ensure adequete gluing surface for the neck tennon. Sometimes you will see SG copys at 1 1/2". Also when you are using a 3 way swith you want to have a right-angle switch which fits into a smaller body.