I'm posting this for a friend. Please, no "why would you trade your Valveking for an Epi?" posts.

Anyways, what is the quality like on Epi amps? My friend want's to use one for 80's metal (from Sabbath to Metallica), but I've never heard one, so I don't know if it has the right voicing. Would it be alright with a pedal? Remember, I'm talking about the t
ube amps, not the little piece-o-crap SS ones.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
To be perfectly honest, none of the Epi tube amps is really suitable for metal. The So-Cal is the closest but it's still way off. The quality is good, between me and my roommate we have 3 Epi tube amps and have never had the slightest problem. All of them are VERY classic voiced and can't really (even with pedals) do metal. The only exception to this that I've found is the ZVex 'Box of Metal' which did push both the VJ and the So-Cal into suitable metal territory.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Metal + small budget = SS combo.

+1

i like the epi amps...for blues lol. *sigh* im going to get flamed....might want to check out the spider valve and spider III amps *runs away*

but seriously, for budget metal they do that well IMO

if you hate me now, there are plenty of other amps that would do that sound
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^ +1, but there are other SS amps you should look into. As a SS activist, I will immediately recommend the Fender Princeton 65w. $150 used, and even though it can't do metal on it's own, you'll have plenty of dough left to buy a nice distortion.

By the way, despite what people will tell you, Big Muff is a fine distortion for metal, if you power it with 12-16v power. Just my $.02.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Alright, I'll tell him. thanks
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
randall amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by PimpedOutSquier

By the way, despite what people will tell you, Big Muff is a fine distortion for metal, if you power it with 12-16v power. Just my $.02.

I definitely agree with this one. They have a kick to them that I find real nice for certain types of metal.
Randall....its perfect. If you need tubes, save for a Bugera
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge