I was bored and started looking for guitars I wanted in the future, when I came across these two guitars. I've been playing for 10 months and I'm kind of a slow learner but I really want a new guitar for some reason.

The two guitars are a Gibson "The Paul" for $141 right now on eBay and an ESP LTD Viper-100 with Seymour Duncan pickups for $135.

They both seem pretty good but I'm not sure if I should wait until I'm a better player then get a guitar or not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
I really want a new guitar for some reason.

the sign of a true guitarist
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
no, wait till your better...it's just common decency towards your guitar, every guitar player likes to have new guitars, but it feels better knowing that you have fewer guitars which you have played lots and show your years of work upon...

in simple terms.....10months aint nothin fool!
spoken like a bassist MattC...

go for the paul, the esps don't get nice till about the 300/400 series.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
well, if you think the new guitar being better quality than your current one, may help you learn better/play better, than go for it, but you don't NEED a new guitar right away
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I got a new guitar at about 10 months of playing also, and I'm playing so much better than I did with my washburn. i would go for the les paul. What model is it and what finish and stuff does it have?
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
go for a new guitar, even thought i dont if i would get THOSE guitars. If you are going to upgrade, get something you wont have to throw away in a couple of months or even a year.

Save some more and get something good enough to play for a few years.
Quote by Don Tonberry

The two guitars are a Gibson "The Paul" for $141 right now on eBay and an ESP LTD Viper-100 with Seymour Duncan pickups for $135.

Dude. Les Paul is not ****ing French for "The Pauls". It's named after Lester Paul, it's designer.

Pet peeve aside, I'd say that if you think you've improved enough to switch to something that will make you sound better (and if you have the money), then by all means, go for it.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Quote by metalhead_c-1
I got a new guitar at about 10 months of playing also, and I'm playing so much better than I did with my washburn. i would go for the les paul. What model is it and what finish and stuff does it have?

It's a Gibson "The Paul", they are discontinued now but from what I've heard they are as good as Gibson Les Paul Studios. As for the ESP, I asked the seller what Seymour Duncans it had and am waiting for a response. Are there any good guitars at a low price? I'm kind of on a budget ($200-250?). I play mostly metal, thrash metal, hard rock, and I like nice clean tones as well. To stephen, my Spider III is good for what I bought it for, PRACTICING so a new amp wouldn't be needed.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Quote by Don Tonberry
It's a Gibson "The Paul", they are discontinued now but from what I've heard they are as good as Gibson Les Paul Studios. As for the ESP, I asked the seller what Seymour Duncans it had and am waiting for a response. Are there any good guitars at a low price? I'm kind of on a budget ($200-250?). I play mostly metal, thrash metal, hard rock, and I like nice clean tones as well. To stephen, my Spider III is good for what I bought it for, PRACTICING so a new amp wouldn't be needed.

u should have stated that in the first post, ur lucky you didnt get run over by the bandwagon...

anyway, for metal i would say the ESP...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
a new guitar can often inspire you to wanna play more.

go for the ESP w/ the duncans
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I would personally go for the esp.
If you play heaver stuff go for the esp, if you play blues softer rock it will be the gibson.
Last edited by georgethepie at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by bobsyouraunt
the sign of a true guitarist

+

EDIT: ESP, by the way.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by seizetheday1103
a new guitar can often inspire you to wanna play more.

go for the ESP w/ the duncans

+1000000000000000000000000x1000000000000000000000000
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Ive been playing for about 10 months also, and just bought a new ESP Eclipse. Did I really NEED it based on my current skill? Nope. But I wanted something different. Look, feel, sound. Im loving the guitar, so the more I can get from it, be it theory, lessons with an instructor, or a new guitar the better.

Heck, by years end I'll probably get a nice acoustic, then I'll be done guitar shopping for awhile.

Own:

MIM Fender HSS Stratocaster-Wine red.
ESP Eclipse II-Amber Burst with EMG's (60n, 81b)
Acoustic-??????

Guitars are seksee!
If you are going to buy something...you might want to rethink getting a guitar from ebay.
In my experience, ebay is the best way to buying a lemon.

Go to a guitarstore and try some models there. It's the only way to know if the guitar suits you.

And as for the waiting, go for it. I bought my second guitar half a year after i bought the first one, cause it was a real piece of crap. Never regretted that move, I still have my second guitar and play it every day. I pawned the first one...
Lol iv been playing a week and i already want an epi g400 just cos they look so nice. I would say wait if you can, you might regret buying it if you are unsure
i'm crap, but i like shiny gear and stuff.

and like the bloke in the shop said when i bought my fender, "you don't have to be the best to own the best son" its stuck with me that

I say go for it, but if theres something you really want which is a bit more expensive, hold back and save.

As for Gibson "the paul" i think there are a few types, I borrowed a 1980 the paul (one of those ones which was made out of left over walnut or something) and it was one of the best guitars I've played. No idea on the more modern ones such as "the paul II" etc.

There is a 1979 "the paul" on UK ebay for £725- so if you can get one cheap then its a bargain!
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
dont wory bout your playing ability if you want one you go for it mate

case in point: I;ve only bin playing a lil over a year and a half but I decided to buy a dean razorback V 255 for £819 ,,, and strangely enough i feel my playing as improved since getting it so you never know it could be good fer your playing
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
ummm "The Paul" is an entry level guitar by Gibson made in Asia. I've never played one but don't be fooled by the Gibson name. Not saying they aren't good, but...
Quote by Parabellum
Dude. Les Paul is not ****ing French for "The Pauls". It's named after Lester Paul, it's designer.

Pet peeve aside, I'd say that if you think you've improved enough to switch to something that will make you sound better (and if you have the money), then by all means, go for it.

'The Paul' is a seperate model. It's much like a dumbed down Les Paul. It has no maple top, dot inlays etc...

If you really think that a new guitar would be beneficial, then go for it.

I'd say that you'd get more out of getting a new amp unless your guitar plays like turd or something.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah... I'd say look into getting a nice shiny new amp. Save a bit more and get something tastey. THEN you can go around with the Gibson you would have bought afterwards... and show it off as well.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Well, I don't think I should get a new amp because my Spider is good enough and I won't be gigging or anything. But, I'll definitely look into it. It might be worth the wait.

I like the Vox Valvetronix 15W and I really want an Explorer shaped guitar.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
pick up an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, then someday when you rock, get a Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul

youll waste less money in the long run and have a great guitar... period

same thing happens over at the car audio forums i hang out at. people dump so much time and money into gear only to upgrade again and again and again.......
save up and get the guitar of your dreams man. I only bought my 2nd guitar because I was gigging 3-4 times a week. You need a backup. I eventually got my 3rd when we started using alternate tunigns besides dropped D.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Can you please list the main bands you listen to? Just naming a few rock/metal genres doesn't really give me a good idea because everyone has a different opinion of what's metal and what isn't (People at my school call Atreyu heavy metal WTF)

Anyway, judging from those genres you named, go for the ESP, they're great metal guitars.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Can you please list the main bands you listen to? Just naming a few rock/metal genres doesn't really give me a good idea because everyone has a different opinion of what's metal and what isn't (People at my school call Atreyu heavy metal WTF)

Anyway, judging from those genres you named, go for the ESP, they're great metal guitars.

I listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Linkin Park mostly. I play lots of genres of music though. I really want an explorer shaped guitar but I don't know any that are >$350 that are good. I was thinking of getting a Dean Z and changing the pickups but I'm not sure. If all else fails I'll probably get an Agile.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
I was bored and started looking for guitars I wanted in the future, when I came across these two guitars. I've been playing for 10 months and I'm kind of a slow learner but I really want a new guitar for some reason.

They both seem pretty good but I'm not sure if I should wait until I'm a better player then get a guitar or not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

They're $141 and $135 right now, but its an auction site and I doubt they'll be going for anything near that when the last few minutes strike. Keep playing and saving money! Get a new amp first anyways, you'll hear a bigger difference.
Heck I've been back playing for what 4-5 months (I played a little 20 years ago) and have had 3 new guitars & 2 amps & trading/selling my Ibanez now & buying a VOX or Palomino soon. I like to try stuff out to get a feel of what I like. Which is also part of the learning. If you can afford it go for it! It's the only way you will find out exactly what YOU like.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Do you think I should get a new guitar instead of replacing my amp? Because I'm only going to be playing in my bedroom. Or if I have the money should I just go for both amp and guitar?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
You can never be too sure about where you'll be playing. Who knows, you might find a band, then want a better amp. If you have a really bad amp (like me), I'd suggest upgrading that. I know I at least want a roland cube or something.

btw, hope that "The Paul" isn't like a Fender Starcaster. I'd suggest buying an epiphone, it's based off of gibson (might be owned by them?), and an epi Les Paul can be pretty cheap. Just make sure to try it out in the store first.
So is it worth it to replace my Spider III with a Micro Cube for a practice amp or get a new amp in the far future and get a new guitar in the meantime?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
dunno what the line 6 is like but the microcube is prettty sweet, i really like mine, very good size and has a suprising amount of oomph
Well if youre decided that your amp is fine, then dont change it. If you fancy a second guitar for different feel, tunings, just as a change; go for it.

Im far from great as I havent been playing that long, but Im kind of in the same situation as you; im about to buy a second guitar, because I can and want to, and have no real need for uprating my amp as yet.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
If you want a new guitar, buy one. No big deal. I started playing again in October, and I have three guitars.

My acoustic, & my PRS have improved my playing for sure.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
i got an esp after playing for about that long and i love it, but i realize that in a way i wish i didnt get it for the reason that now that i am quite a bit better i could buy something real good but i cant just buy a guitar all the time so......but i do still like my esp better than my original austin lol
do you need a new one? probably not.

will it hurt to get a new one? no.

if you can afford it, go ahead and get it.
Well, I really want an explorer shaped guitar and was looking at the Dean ZX and I think it's pretty good. Not sure if I should get it though, and not sure if I should buy a new amp because there's two reasons people keep saying.

1. Spider III is a good practice amp, keep it and buy something later.

2. Spider III doesn't have a good sound the Microcube is good.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals