I'm playing rhythm in my band, and wanted to get peoples' opinions on a very important question. What, in your opinion, makes a good rhythm guitarist? I know a little theory, can write (working on reading) sheet music, know alot about writing songs, and am considered to be a human metronome by alot of my guitarist friends. I'm just worried that won't be enough.
There has to be more then that. Some people are masters at playing rhythm. What exactly is it that makes them considered "the best"?
Quote by InTheRain
There has to be more then that. Some people are masters at playing rhythm. What exactly is it that makes them considered "the best"?

By practicing hours on end, just like a 'lead guitarist' would. Perfecting your technique, just like a 'lead guitarist' would.

It all comes from the way you palm mute, strike the notes, bends, chords.. It's a lot of things..

I don't know... I guess it comes natural for some people...
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

A good guitarist plays along with other instruments. Certain parts of songs are distinguished while others are not. Accent some things at important parts of verses or phrases. Work with drummers to really make it sound "together."
Try figuring out how to play your chords in different shapes and in different places of the fretboard. There is more than one way to play the C chord, y'know?
Also, try altering your chords, add a 7th, 9th or 13th from time to time to keep things interesting.
You don't have to limit yourself to chording, of course. A little fill here and there does the trick. At least for me.
Quote by TheQuailman
Try figuring out how to play your chords in different shapes and in different places of the fretboard. There is more than one way to play the C chord, y'know?
Also, try altering your chords, add a 7th, 9th or 13th from time to time to keep things interesting.
You don't have to limit yourself to chording, of course. A little fill here and there does the trick. At least for me.

exactly what TheQuailman said...im thinking of putting what i said in MY sig to help ppl out...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Toniofalcon
You don't even need to know how ot write sheet music, to be honest.

Dude shut up, you have a misunderstanding of what a rhythm guitarist is.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

- Keeping in time; play and practicing with a metronome is essential.
- Keeping in time and interacting with the other players; especially the drummer.
- Learn about accenting. Helps the song with dynamics and makes it more impressive!
- Learn some theory; or at least where the notes are on the fretboard and how to make basic chords. That helps A LOT.
- Learn about different rhythms; don't keep strictly to quavers or something, add some crazy stuff and keep making stuff fresh and interesting!