Page 1 of 2
Here's the guitar I'm building for my senior project-

The body is ash, the neck is maple w/ an ebony fretboard from Warmoth. It will have EMG HZ H4 bridge and EMG select neck pickups.

I'm planning on finishing with colortone acrylic lacquers.

The thing that really sucks- I have to present my project in 3 weeks, and I just ordered the paint yesterday...

Planning everything out:

Practice piece to see how everything fits

The body:

drilling the tuner screw holes

I accidentally routed the neck pocket too wide, so I had to add shims

What it'll look like when it's done:

I still have to do the wiring, painting and assembly.
Thanks for looking!

Comments, compliments, tips, criticism, etc are all welcome.
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Wow thats sick man. Keep up the good work!
Epiphone G-400 Goth (I love it so much!)
Digitech RP 80 Modeling Guitar Processor
Viper Amp (Getting new one soon.)
Jay Turser Strat (Worst guitar ever made.)

"Different strokes for different folks."
like the colour scheme i was looking to do something similar with with black and yellow with diagonal stripes, what program did you use for the finished design image.
I used a program that's pretty much free photoshop calle dthe GIMP. I basically took pictures of all the hardware I had, arranged it how I wanted it, and then just added the body outline and scheme. The nice thing is, I made the image actual size so to get a masking template all I have to do is print out the color scheme layer!
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

i remeber that program, i use CS3 now but havent had time to sit down and make my design, thanks though i may try a similar method
I might be the only one, but I'm not too keen on the colour... Other than that it looks completely and utterly awesome. Good job!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Hey why are you using EMG HZ and selects?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It's basically a cost thing- I've spent about $500 that I don't have on it already, so I was trying to keep my costs as low as possible. I heard the H4 was pretty good, but I almost never use the neck pup so I just got a cheap one for that.
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

hmm but that body is looking sweet though

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
why do you have a locking nut on the neck?
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Yeah.... that body isn't routed for a Floyd Rose... you know if you lock that nut and you don't have fine tuners, you will always be slightly out of tune.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Ah! Well if he is indeed using that bridge, you, person, have answered my question. Although it wasn't so much of a question as a warning that you need fine tuners... but anyway. Cool bridge IMO.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
he's set up for a string through TOM, but from the warmoth picture it looks like it could retrofit into a TOM routed body..

could fill in the extra holes with filler or something and paint over it
I know, but if I wanted to get a neck that had a normal nut, I would have to wait an extra 6-8 weeks, and I was under a deadline. I'm planning on just not tightening the nut and lubricating it somehow.
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Lol that practice piece is awesome!

Can't wait to see the finished product

edit: can't you just buy a normal nut and glue it in place of the old nut?
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Here's a progress update- right now I'm just waitng for the paint to dry enough that I can work on putting it together. Since my presentation is on Thursday, I just decided to leave it yellow. The black will be sprayed on later.

There were some gaps around the control plate, so I made a copy from plexiglass and clamped it into the hole.

Then I used 5-minute epoxy to fill around the plate

When it was done, I just pried out the plate, and the gaps were filled!

Drilling out the jack hole:

Done!

Then I gave it a few coats of grain filler:

After lots and lots of sanding, it was ready to paint-

Now the yellow:

That's what it looks like now, just waiting for the paint to dry...
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Looks really nice in yellow- But I thought it looked fantastic in the photo above (the natural one). Just saying.
Lovin it so far, though personally I'd make all of the black lines be the same width in the middle with the same taper . . . awesome work though.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Quote by even_flow
Lovin it so far, though personally I'd make all of the black lines be the same width in the middle with the same taper . . . awesome work though.

They will be.. that's just me being lazy when I drew out the picture.
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

I concur I think it does. although not saying it is the only way to be done, that's how my LTD is set up. I think it gives it more range for adjustment.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
O_O That yellow looks awesome, leave it like that!

+1!
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by crackereast
it looks like the holes for the TOM are drilled wrong,doesnt the top hole
need to be farther back.

Don't worry, it is. It just doesn't look like it in the picture. I think... I guess I'll have to check it when I get home, cause it's supposed to be.
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Don't use a EMG select pickup....please...
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Jaypack44

Can somebody please explain to me why?
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
^the neck didnt fit correctly
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^the neck didnt fit correctly

so...cutting the body AND centering the neck is out of the question? From what I see cutting the neck is just going to complicate things with string positions (not being parallel).

Either way, I would love to see the finished product. Good work.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
No-ones cutting the neck...
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
When you applied the grain filler, you just used the brush?

I recently recieved some grain filler from stewmac and the directions say that i need to spray it on.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
i don't know about everyone elses opinions on this, but i vote for using the plexiglass control rout cover... i think it looks excellent and you've already gone one cut to fit perfectly...
^I agree!
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
^ and put an LED inside of it so it makes the electronics glow
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
IT'S DONE!!! OK, not 100%, I still have to paint the black, but that will come after I do my presentation.

First I put in the shielding tape:

The body was too thick for the switch, so I used a dremel tool to thin it down a bit:

All of the wiring done!

Ready for final assembly:

(continued in next post because of picture limit)
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

She's done!

Me playin it for the first time:

I was half expecting everything to go horribly wrong the first time I plugged it in, but it didn't! A little adjusting of the truss rod, action, and intonation, and it's just about perfect. I still wish the action could be a little lower, but it's not really possible, because the bridge is as low as it can go. Anyway, it sounds great, I spent about 2 hours just playing it last night. Now I just have to worry about my presentation tomorrow...

Oh, and about the clear control cavity cover, I kept it, so all I have to do is switch them whenever I want to...
Peace n' love

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2