Is anyone else aware of the food shortages caused by ethanol? and what about gas in the US? 3.50 a gallon for a gas that corrodes my enging? seems a little high considering I live in the PERMIAN BASIN shouldn't I be buying gas for like 2.00 a gallon at the most?
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2007-06/america-headed-food-shortage
discuss~

EDIT: This is not a Bush-hating thread. keep your damn comments to yourself unless you can back them up.
Last edited by whatadrag at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by whatadrag
and what about gas in the US? 3.50 a gallon seems a little high considering I live in the PERMIAN BASIN shouldn't I be buying gas for like 2.00 a gallon at the most?

Lucky... I pay £1.10 per litre here (Thats about $10/gallon)
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

I know about them, but I'm not particularly worried. It happens in history from time to time.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Britain pays close to double what you pay for gas, Canada about a dollar more.

No I'm not aware.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Where I live, we are sitting on one of the largest oil deposits in the world. U.S. gas is $0.90CND a litre. Gas in SK is projected to go up to as much as $1.50CND a litre. Quit your bitching.
food shortages like in africa and stuff

as for me. no

i live in mexico and we are high on oil so the prive right now hre is lik 1 dollar.
our food prices havent risen.
so no
Quote by Neillya1
Lucky... I pay £1.10 per litre here (Thats about $10/gallon)

Thats $8.16/gallon
Quote by whatadrag
Is anyone else aware of the food shortages that are happening globally? and what about gas in the US? 3.50 a gallon seems a little high considering I live in the PERMIAN BASIN shouldn't I be buying gas for like 2.00 a gallon at the most?

discuss~

EDIT: This is not a Bush-hating thread. keep your damn comments to yourself unless you can back them up.

re: petrol prices.

1.09GBP per litre

2.13USD per litre=9.68 per gallon.

figure from google.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Yeah...I saw it was at $1.20 CND yesterday...when my parents came to Canada, I think it was at $0.40! Thats 1/3 of the price!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
re: petrol prices.

1.09GBP per litre

2.13USD per litre=9.68 per gallon.

figure from google.

That's what us Brits are paying, and we don't even have it the worse...
Not worried at all.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
if the US government would drill for oil in our country, we would have cheaper gas. or if we switched over to that corn crap. that's impossible to run out of, and it would create a ton of new jobs farming corn and making the gas and crap if we did it. whatever. stupid environmentalists.
america still has it good compared to most countries
somehow in canada we're paying almost 50 cents per litre more for gas
and its going up
its not just food thats going up, everything is
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Quote by frottage
if the US government would drill for oil in our country, we would have cheaper gas. or if we switched over to that corn crap. that's impossible to run out of, and it would create a ton of new jobs farming corn and making the gas and crap if we did it. whatever. stupid environmentalists.

I don't think it's energy efficient yet, I'm pretty sure it uses more energy to create it. We could also use all that corn, ship it out to Africa and starvation problem solved.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Corn based ethanol probably isn't going to be used nationally because it would cause a hike in food prices. But wood based ethanol is currently being researched and it's expected taht it will be a much better alternative.
Quote by floppypick
I don't think it's energy efficient yet, I'm pretty sure it uses more energy to create it. We could also use all that corn, ship it out to Africa and starvation problem solved.

screw them, i want my gas.

Quote by frottage

The "Corn Crap" requires lots of land and lots of corn to make. The cost it costs to make it almost elimates any profit from it, which is why we arn't "switching" over to it although it is used by some. Also it cannot be transported through pipes like our gas, it has to be by truck. Making is not as effective in saving energy because energy is used to transport it vs the energy used transporting gas through pipes. Also, it doesn't last that long, it goes bad after a while.

That's why we arn't using to much of that.
Quote by frottage

we already switched to that corn crap. and it drives up grain prices which drives up meat and dairy prices which leaves us with nothing to eat except fish.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
The "Corn Crap" requires lots of land and lots of corn to make. The cost it costs to make it almost elimates any profit from it, which is why we arn't "switching" over to it although it is used by some. Also it cannot be transported through pipes like our gas, it has to be by truck. Making is not as effective in saving energy because energy is used to transport it vs the energy used transporting gas through pipes. Also, it doesn't last that long, it goes bad after a while.

ah.
i am a bit worried about the ethanol bull****. If it continues it could be another Great Leap Foward.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Guitarfreak777

thank you

*you gain 3 intelligence*
**** enviromentally friendly bull**** taxes, lets buy food for the poor people
Quote by whatadrag
thank you

*you gain 3 intelligence*

Can I has a intelligence point as well? I contributed!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

The US has Aldi and Food Lion, both cheap as dirt. I have an old Honda that gets 35+ mpg, and I enjoy taking long walks. I'm pretty set, really.
There are countries where food shortages are a problem becasue crops are being converted to fuel.

America however will always find a way to stay in a reasonably good position. However questionable the moral aspect is.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
There are countries where food shortages are a problem becasue crops are being converted to fuel.

America however will always find a way to stay in a reasonably good position. However questionable the moral aspect is.

Very true.

Personally I think the reason we here in the U.S. are pushing for the use of ethanol is mainly so the ones that we get our oil from might "panic" because we are starting to move away from needing their oil.