Page 1 of 2
Not sure if this is common knowledge among americans (im a Uk-er) or this website has made it up, but this was a pretty interesting article.

If you were asked to tell something about your all time favorite American president, which one would you pick, and what would you say about him?

Think carefully, and then open up your mind to accept a few facts you may not have known.

George Washington was not actually the first President of the United States. The real first President was Maryland’s representative at the Continental Congress, and his unknown name was John Hanson. On November 5, 1781, Hanson, who was considered a black man because of his Moorish heritage, was elected by the Constitutional Congress to the office of “President of the United States in Congress Assembled”. He served for one year and was followed by 6 other Presidents before Washington was elected.

President Thomas Jefferson had a long time common law marriage with one of his slaves, a teenager named Sally Hemings. They had 5 children together. Jefferson also was an apparent alcoholic. During his 2 terms, he spent close to $11,000 just on wine, which was a huge amount in those days.

President Grover Cleveland was a draft dodger. He paid someone to join the service in his place. He was scorned for this by his political opponent, James Blaine until it was made public that Blaine had done the very same thing.

Warren Harding was addicted to gambling, he once lost an entire set of White House China.

Franklin Roosevelt was related to his own wife. Eleanor was his second cousin. This First Couples marriage was not a happy one, President Roosevelt was a closet cross dresser, and for 30 years, Eleanor Roosevelt was having an affair with another woman, Associated Press reporter Lenora Hickok.

John Tyler, who was President from 1841 to 1845, joined the Confederacy twenty years later and became the only President named a sworn enemy of the United States.

President Andrew Jackson believed the world was flat and for all of his life, he refused to accept the proven fact that the world was round. Jackson once severely beat a man with his walking cane, because the man disagreed with him. (About something else)

Woodrow Wilson was a racist, and an outspoken white supremacist.

James Monroe was a college dropout, had a serious dedication to drinking, and was completely controlled by his wife and daughters. They were so selfish and spent money so freely that Monroe was practically bankrupt by the end of his second term.

These are only a few of the presidents, and only a few of their faults. However, your children won’t learn these facts in history class. Even though they are things, we should all know.
Quote by Tombe
Shut your noise, I was 18 when I had mine. About 30 seconds later the girl was sick on me. I'm not sure if the two events were related.
I call BS.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
DAYUM BITCH, meh I don't really care. America sucks, so why can't its presidents?
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
That article is misleading at best. The President of the Continental Congress did not have executive power as the President of the United States of America would.

Its a myth.

Quote by JobyByTheNight
DAYUM BITCH, meh I don't really care. America sucks, so why can't its presidents?

After reading this I consider myself enlightened.
Who cares?

Dead man who contributed nothing to our dear Amerisucksatthemoment.

Interesting though that we are all like "OMGZ EFF BROCK OBAMA GETS ELEKTED, WE GUN HAFF FERST BLAK PRESHIDENT!!!!!11!ONE!1!!!ELEVENTY!!".......

nice.
That's all true, and yet it doesn't change in the slightest the acheivements of any of those men.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
1781- before the Constitution was ratified. The states WEREN'T united. He was the president of the congress, Washington was the first to be elected by the people of the US, AFTER the Constitution was ratified. Get it right
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
All of those are true with the exception of Washington. Washington's "predecessors" weren't actually Presidents of the United States. They were Presidents of the Continental Congress, Washington was the first to have executive order of the states as a unified country. So, although they did have the most power, they still weren't the President because they didn't have power over all of the states.
teddy roosevelt

-walked around the white house with a loaded revolver. It doesn't say if it was a .44 magnum, or if he asked if people were feeling lucky, punk, so i'm going to assume he did.
-black belt in jujitsu and judo (100% true)
-held underground boxing matches in the basement of the white house 100 years before Tyler Durden had the idea
-these fights where so brutal Teddy had a detached retina and was blind in his right eye 2 years into his presidency.
-Shot in the chest while campaigning for president, decided that the wound was "too minor to be of consequence" didn't bother bandaging it and went and gave his 2 hour speech anyway, bleeding through his shirt as he spoke.
-his list of former jobs (before being president) reads like a list of the jobs of every action movie hero before the events of the film. They include
.Police Officer then police commissioner
.undercover officer (no ****)
.deputy sheriff
.cattle rancher
.bounty hunter
.Colonel in the army

-only person to win both the medal of honor AND the nobel peace prize.

also he formed the rough riders because he was pissed off at how the country was running the war. He formed it from a group of cowboys and the people he found in bars in texas and then charged san Juan hill and pretty much won the war. It would be the equivalent of John Mccain getting pissed off at the war on terror, rounding up a bunch of hell's angels and Mixed Martial Arts fighters, going to Afghanistan and single handedly finding and killing Bin Laden.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at Apr 23, 2008,
The United States Constitution, the current supreme law, was not adopted until 1787. Washington was elected as the first President of the current incarnation fo the country in 1789.

Yes, Washington was the first President.
I was just pointing out an interesting article, take it at face value, this is the internet after all.
Quote by Tombe
Shut your noise, I was 18 when I had mine. About 30 seconds later the girl was sick on me. I'm not sure if the two events were related.
Quote by zanz1bar
1781- before the Constitution was ratified. The states WEREN'T united. He was the president of the congress, Washington was the first to be elected by the people of the US, AFTER the Constitution was ratified. Get it right

Thank god someone corrected that.

And about all the scandals of the presidents; so what? Like that's ANYTHING new. If a politician DOESN'T have a scandal, then he probably isn't doing a whole lot.
Spiral Out
Interesting facts, though a lot of them I already knew such as Jefferson and his relationship with his slave, Harding's gambling addiction, and FDR's relationship with Eleanor.

I lol'd at Jackson believing the world was flat. And as far as the first president thing goes, I need to see if any of the people elected before Washington had the same powers as the presidents. The constitution wasn't even ratified until 1788, so he may not have been considered "president".
Quote by zanz1bar

The states were united under the Articles of Confederation.
Sent from my iPad.
thats true but they were not pres of the us as it is today. that was washington. and in college history i have heard most of the bad things about our pres. history, but you dont hear much of the bad in highschool.
Quote by DaveGilmour1189
teddy roosevelt

-walked around the white house with a loaded revolver. It doesn't say if it was a .44 magnum, or if he asked if people were feeling lucky, punk, so i'm going to assume he did.
-black belt in jujitsu and judo (100% true)
-held underground boxing matches in the basement of the white house 100 years before Tyler Durden had the idea
-these fights where so brutal Teddy had a detached retina and was blind in his right eye 2 years into his presidency.
-Shot in the chest while campaigning for president, decided that the wound was "too minor to be of consequence" didn't bother bandaging it and went and gave his 2 hour speech anyway, bleeding through his shirt as he spoke.
-his list of former jobs (before being president) reads like a list of the jobs of every action movie hero before the events of the film. They include
.Police Officer then police commissioner
.undercover officer (no ****)
.deputy sheriff
.cattle rancher
.bounty hunter
.Colonel in the army

-only person to win both the medal of honor AND the nobel peace prize.

also he formed the rough riders because he was pissed off at how the country was running the war. He formed it from a group of cowboys and the people he found in bars in texas and then charged san Juan hill and pretty much won the war. It would be the equivalent of John Mccain getting pissed off at the war on terror, rounding up a bunch of hell's angels and Mixed Martial Arts fighters, going to Afghanistan and single handedly finding and killing Bin Laden.

badass!
And Jefferson Davis was president of the Confederacy during the war. Your point?
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I didnt realise eveyone was going to take this so seriously, i just want to show something interesting You Americans are extremely patriotic!
Quote by Tombe
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
Who cares?

Dead man who contributed nothing to our dear Amerisucksatthemoment.

nice.

the only reason it sucks at the moment is cuz it has so many different worldviews in the same nation, it is tearing itself up from the inside
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
It's true, but I don't consider the President of the Continental Congress as the "first president". I consider the "first president" as the first president under the Constitution of the United States of America, which was George Washington.
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Quote by JobyByTheNight

I'm from Lincoln COunty, and you? GO WV!
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Yeah, and JFK had affiars and FDR didn't have functioning legs. Everyone seems to focus on the personal lives of our politicians these days, rather than the political.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
^ Beaten to it.

So? What does their personal lives have to do with what they achieved in politics?
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
So, some of our presidents had faults....who doesnt? and some of the names on that list have changed america for the better with some amazing achievemnts, so personally, idc
Quote by Chungavelli
I know this Jewish guy who pierced his asshole.
OMG Prezidants r hughman 2!!! lol
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by zanz1bar

Um, the people of the U.S. didn't elect Washington.

In fact, it took a while for that whole "people elect president" thing to happen.

In FACT, we still don't elect presidents. We just get a little bit of a voice to the electoral college.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
yea, damn electoral college is full of bribery and backroom deals, etc.

No Abraham Lincoln facts? I figured that'd be the first person they'd expect people to think of when they tell them to think of their favorite president, and yet they didn't even put him on the list.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
Um, the people of the U.S. didn't elect Washington.

In fact, it took a while for that whole "people elect president" thing to happen.

In FACT, we still don't elect presidents. We just get a little bit of a voice to the electoral college.

we actually do elect the president. you should look up the electoral college (not on the internet) and do some real research.
the thing bout TR is pretty cool dave gilmour, but my main beef with him was the whole imperialism thing, other than that he was alright
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
another thing about jackson (that you all should know) he was a racist, and he is responsible for completely marginalizing native americans in the east. I hear that some native americans wont use 20 dollar bills cause Jackson is on it.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by zanz1bar

Well if we wanna be technical, Washington wasn't elected "by the people" as the electoral college was doin' all that **** back then (and to some extent today, which will irritate me to no end). Buttt your point remains true. President of Continental Congress =/= President of the U.S.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
yea, damn electoral college is full of bribery and backroom deals, etc.

No Abraham Lincoln facts? I figured that'd be the first person they'd expect people to think of when they tell them to think of their favorite president, and yet they didn't even put him on the list.

IIRC, Lincoln didn't really want to free the slaves; he did it out of political pressure. We learned a long time ago that he actually wanted to put them all on boats and ship them out to the Caribbean or something like that. However, the logistics of this were a bit much, so he just made slavery illegal in a few states.

Edit - Now, this is just something I read a long time ago. The details may be shaky or flat-out false. Anyone have some confirmation?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Yeti60
another thing about jackson (that you all should know) he was a racist, and he is responsible for completely marginalizing native americans in the east. I hear that some native americans wont use 20 dollar bills cause Jackson is on it.

Lol he was such a dick to Native Americans.

The one thing I liked about him is that he was probably the only politician to promise everything he has told the voters while campaigning.

Abe Lincoln apparently used to go down Illinois Route 30 to sleep with prostitutes. I don't live very far from IL Rt 30.
Sent from my iPad.
Page 1 of 2