I was thinking today: What, in the music nowadays, differs from what was done in the 90's?
I mean, how did it evolve in your opinion?
For my part I think that the metal world as changed a lot, with the emergence of man genres, such as technical death, metalcore, or even deathcore (please dont argue on wether these are genres or not, we don't care)
But in the overall music world, what actually did change?
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
Lots of alternative rocks bands with tough-guy males who sing looooong notes in choruses and all their songs are slow ballads about love. They also use wall of noise method in chords.
Think Hinder
ya it has evolved plenty... Instead of 90s alternative, we have the 00 alternative which is harder ie: fly leaf (Good and Bad)

Indi music is bigger (Good)

metal has become more "pretty sounding" with epic clean singing choruses. (Good and Bad)

Rap has become more ballad-y (Bad)

County is less original and is lacking creativity.. (Bad)

umm

Techno is more ravey and less OONS OONS OOSE OONSE over and over again (good)

The good to bad garage band ratio is a little better (around where i live anyways)
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by metaldud536
Lots of alternative rock bands with tough-guy males who sing looooong notes in choruses and all their songs are slow ballads about love. They also use wall of noise method in chords.
Think Hinder

<Han> I love Hitler
We've seen fusion take off, especially with Country and Rock:

Examples -
Johnny Cash doing Nine Inch Nails
David Allen Coe collaborating with Dime and Vince

I think Country is taken a lot more seriously nowadays, when in the 90's it still seemed to have that "hick music" distinction. It has really broken into the mainstream like never before, even (to my dismay) pop.

But of course there is Pop-Everything now...

Pop-Metal
Pop-Country
Pop-Punk

*grumbles*

...oh well.

But back to the topic at hand, when they opened up Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar and Grill," this book rep I was working with (at a bookstore) - incidentally a very Metro, college educated black fellow - was HUGE into Toby Keith.

I didn't expect that one at all!!

He bought the T-Shirt and everything, he was singing along.

This is like one of those black dudes you'd expect to drive a Lexus, hit the links on Sunday...

Digging the country.

...that, in my opinion, is what this decade is all about. And rightfully so, Country is pretty good.

(just not Toby Keith!!!)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by metaldud536
I know this is the pit but just correct me if necessary. Don't flame.

It was just a joke I'm sorry if it came across as flaming...

You son of a bitch =o
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
You son of a bitch =o
As someone who is currently suffering through Organic Chemistry, I have to ask...

Is this... =o ...a carbonyl group or what?

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
As someone who is currently suffering through Organic Chemistry, I have to ask...

Is this... =o ...a carbonyl group or what?

Heavens, no! It's a surprised face! = is the eyes. o is the mouth of a SHOCKED AND ASTONISHED INDIVIDUAL
<Han> I love Hitler
I think in the 90's musical technology had not developed the wonders of the ...CORE

Now if you put CORE after it, then it's cool.

Quote by HaKattack
Heavens, no! It's a surprised face! = is the eyes. o is the mouth of a SHOCKED AND ASTONISHED INDIVIDUAL

lol strange to think a shocked face could become a chemistry symbol?
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
BN BN biscuits
Can you still get those? I used to love BN.

BN BN doo doo do do do, BN BN, doo do do do
Quote by screwup30
EtOH

Quote by screwup30

It's shocking.
<Han> I love Hitler
Independent music has much more market appeal now, so I think there's a lot better variety out there, and more than 6 major bands at a time.

But then again, I will miss the days of $46 million dollar Guns 'n Roses videos....

Videos with hot chicks in them, period.

Those were the days...

(see, at one point there was this thing called a "video," which was a bunch of moving pictures that went along with music, and the music could be, like, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" or "One" by Metallica...)

I'm going to get my walker and go away now.

What about the 80s? Pfft haha. I don't like a lot of the mainstream music during the 90s. All just a bit mixed up and confused, at least for a lot of the beginning/mid 90s.

I think now the mainstream has a few genres bobbing about, but they're all clearly their own kind of music.... maybe
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Basically, there are much fewer truly "good" bands in the mainstream now.

Musical originality is much rarer today. Mainstream music is even ****tier.

Simply put, 90's music > 2000's music
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Independent music has much more market appeal now, so I think there's a lot better variety out there, and more than 6 major bands at a time.

But then again, I will miss the days of $46 million dollar Guns 'n Roses videos....

Videos with hot chicks in them, period.

Those were the days...

(see, at one point there was this thing called a "video," which was a bunch of moving pictures that went along with music, and the music could be, like, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" or "One" by Metallica...)

I'm going to get my walker and go away now.

Pfft. Next you're going to tell me the M in MTV stands for music.
<Han> I love Hitler
It seems like there was a good shift from "grunge" popularity to "hardcore" in the recent years. There's also audible differences in 90's alternative and Contemporary Alternative.

I wouldn't say changes are huge. But music with heavier gain have become more popular and acceptable.
D:
Signature.
Well I guess it's south florida, but down here what rules mainstream is garbage rap and hiphop. Not a single radio station will play anything "hardcore."

And the only rock station will only play heavy metal which is just Metallica, and Pantera, and Black Sabbath. But not Iron Maiden. No other metal bands. Not Killswitch, or Nile, not even Dragonforce.
They play that ^ and modern rock. That's it.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Apr 23, 2008,
Indie music was counter-culture back in the 90s. Now it's mediocre mainstream pap. Cheers Doherty.

Bands like Pearl Jam and AiC were making original music in the 90s. In the 00s, bands like Godsmack and Nickelback rip off bands like Pearl Jam and AiC. Post-grunge? Whatever.

Power metal has become cool again. Why, I don't know. But I suspect it has something to do with Guitar Hero.