Currently i have a Vox AD30VT. im currently looking into getting a new amp. However i am not really sure where to start. I do know of a few things i want in it.
1. i would like to have an amp large and rugged enough to gig with.
2. i dont want a modelling amp, i think all that extra crap loaded onto the amp just gets in between me and my ideal tone.
3. I would like something fairly versatile with a nice clean but can also crank it up pretty good and would take pedals nicely.
4. i dont have a set price but i also dont want to spend a ton. no more than 2000 say.

Heres a few things i dont know:
1. Should i get a tube amp?
2. Combo or half stack?

I dont know a whole lot and i also dont live very close to any guitar store so it would be helpful for me to narrow it down a bit before i go out and try some out. Thanks in advance!!
Where will you be playing it? In your room or gigs or recording?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
well right now im just playing out of my basement, where my room is. Im in a band and we practice a lot, either my basement or garage. id like to get an amp that will really last me. so that i dont have to go out in the next year or two and get another. also ive been doing more recording lately as well, so i guess that too. if that helps. thanks!
If it helps i play a lot of van halen and 80's metal type music. led zeppelin too.
I would suggest checking out the B-52 AT series.. Either the AT-100 head or the AT-212 combo. Both are the same amp, just one in a combo. Both are 100 watt tube amps that leave plenty of room for volume, and the dual gain channels will do excellent for anything from classic distortion to metal... The cleans are very very nice too.

You don't need a stack. A combo will do fine.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or DSL401...hits those perfect! Also can get great deals if you don't mind used.

Quote by 51VH50
If it helps i play a lot of van halen and 80's metal type music. led zeppelin too.
Quote by ThrashJeremy
Everyone is gonna say... 5150 or JCM800 probably. Just get one of those.

The Peavy 5150's or the new EVH ones? I did some research and ive heard the Peavys dont have the best cleans. but wont know till i try it out.
carvin v3.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
You definately want a combo. Stacks are a pain in the arse to haul around, and take up a lot of room.

Look for a Laney tube combo. That should definately handle Zeppelin, and will definately do 80's metal with an OD.

Can't remember the models, sadly. We need H4T3BR33D3R for that. I think he knows them all....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Can't remember the models, sadly. We need H4T3BR33D3R for that. I think he knows them all....

Laney GH50L is probably my favorite Laney I've played, but I don't think it comes in combo form.

Honestly, a lot of people hype up the combos because they're "easier to carry" when all reality, they really aren't. Most weight a ton, are large in size and are quite awkward to carry. I'd say the only way I'd go with a combo over a head + 2x12 is if the combo is a 1x12 and didn't have a lot of room.

Anyway, besides the GH50L, with a budget in the $2000 range, I'd suggest picking up something like a Mesa Mark IV combo or head. Used they can be found in the $1000-1200 range which would leave you a pretty big budget for a really nice cab if you decide to go with the head.

The EVH 5150 III is also really awesome, I played one a long time ago when they came out and didn't remember being all too impressed, but when I played one a few weeks ago I was really blown away. I don't know what changed in that time, but that amp is pretty killer. I still don't think I'd pay that much for it new though, it's nice, but there's other stuff I'd rather have for the price.

Also, check into Splawn. A Quickrod would probably be suitable for you, though I don't think I've really heard anyone talk about its clean channel (I'd assume it has one? ). Splawn are basically Marshalls on steriods made better than Marshall themselves makes them, which is what a lot of bands from the eras your playing used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Laney GH50L is probably my favorite Laney I've played, but I don't think it comes in combo form.

Honestly, a lot of people hype up the combos because they're "easier to carry" when all reality, they really aren't. Most weight a ton, are large in size and are quite awkward to carry. I'd say the only way I'd go with a combo over a head + 2x12 is if the combo is a 1x12 and didn't have a lot of room.

Anyway, besides the GH50L, with a budget in the $2000 range, I'd suggest picking up something like a Mesa Mark IV combo or head. Used they can be found in the $1000-1200 range which would leave you a pretty big budget for a really nice cab if you decide to go with the head.

The EVH 5150 III is also really awesome, I played one a long time ago when they came out and didn't remember being all too impressed, but when I played one a few weeks ago I was really blown away. I don't know what changed in that time, but that amp is pretty killer. I still don't think I'd pay that much for it new though, it's nice, but there's other stuff I'd rather have for the price.

Also, check into Splawn. A Quickrod would probably be suitable for you, though I don't think I've really heard anyone talk about its clean channel (I'd assume it has one? ). Splawn are basically Marshalls on steriods made better than Marshall themselves makes them, which is what a lot of bands from the eras your playing used.

Dammit! I keep forgetting that you can buy 1x12's and 2x12's. Yeah, if that is the case, then by all means get a head. Maybe if I can remember that I'll start suggesting them more often

And TS, listen to MC. He knows what he's talking about.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 24, 2008,
2000 dollars.
and my problem with the vox is one. Volume, i want something with some more power. two its a modeling amp and so it can do a lot but it isnt good at anything.
I second the Carvin v3 because of the versitality. You can get the carvin v3 and a 2x12 or a 4x12 cab from avatar cabs for around 1300-1600 depending on the cab and speakers.
Early Van Halen stuff used Marshall Plexis, but really any Marshall voiced amp would probably suite you. I would look into a JCM 800, make sure its one that has a clean channel and you would be all set. Also a Messa Boogie would be awesome to, they are not mashally sounding but somthing all their own, a Mark IV would be worth a look as well as some of the F series boogies.
another thing i was wondering. i really like to play gear before i buy it. Guitar center ususally has crap, anybody know how i mihgt be able to play some of these before i pull the trigger?
I just visited Carvins website. I get their catalogues so i am familiar with their gear but i did some extra looking. the Carvin V3 looks like a really awesome amp. i listen to some audio files and i really like them, of course god knows what they did to produce them. i was just wondering if any one else had any insight, durability, experience, tone, idk anything. it also fits perfectly in my price range so i would love to hear some more.