Is there a way to good pretty good tone out of a 10 watt marshall mg and epi les paul? I also have a Ibanez TS-9
I'd be forced to agree, it depends on what you consider "good" tone. If you're wanting to make it sound like a cranked tube amp it's probably best to give up now. You might want to consider a new amp for your next purchase, something like a Laney VC or if you can push your budget maybe an Orange TT Combo.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
You can try taking out the speaker and throwing it out the window.
Sorry.. just being honest
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Yeah try these settings.

Bass:0, Contour:0, Volume:0 Reverb: 0 Gain:0 Power: OFF

Try using your TS9 through the clean channel.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
ya i was pretty sure there wasn't. i was just thinking maybe that someone had a way to maybe make it sound decent but nevermind
Listen to H4T3BR33D3R, he's one of the tone-*****s from the Laney thread

If you want to recreate the warmth provided by driven tubes, however that is possible. All you need is some lighter fluid, a match and good home insurance...
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
There really is no such thing as good tone with an MG. I don't care which size MG you have. The bigger it is, the louder the crappy tone is. I did use my ME-50 and was able to get a decent tone, but you're not going to get much from just one distortion/overdrive pedal, and I don't care what it is. That's with the MG, of course.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by roythereaper

If you want to recreate the warmth provided by driven tubes, however that is possible. All you need is some lighter fluid, a match and good home insurance...

best answer so far
Quote by roythereaper

My comment was obviously a joke. There was no need to bring that into the discussion at all.

Are you suggesting I don't know what good tone is Mr. Korg Multi Effects?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
what type of music are you trying to play?

how does the tube screamer on clean sound?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well at lest you got the ten watt and werent one of the unfortunate many who spent 600 dollars on the crappy 100 watt models. It depends on what kind of tone you want. If you like scratchy death metal tones than its an ok amp. but id save up for somehting a bit better. Try a Peavey Valveking (just use ur TS9 and for the love of god dont use the built in distortion) or a Mesa. In the meantime put it on clean and use the ts9 and see what you can do.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Marshall MG's are amazing. Wtf is with all these people on UG dissing the MG just because its solid state and sounds "Horrid".

Then the other great amp is the Line 6 Spider III.

They should make double stack MG's. Great amps.

/joke

=[

GET RID OF IT!
Quote by ThrashJeremy
Marshall MG's are amazing. Wtf is with all these people on UG dissing the MG just because its solid state and sounds "Horrid".

Then the other great amp is the Line 6 Spider III.

They should make double stack MG's. Great amps.

/joke

=[

GET RID OF IT!

I was about to have a heart attack until I read that part. What's sad is, I've seen people who actually have that mindset. Does anyone remember that dumbass who made like three threads about how amazing his MG sounded, at least one of which turned into multiple pages of nothing but flame after flame after flame? 0.o

Yeah, the TS9 through the clean channel is probably the best tone you're gonna get, which still isn't saying much at all. It's probably tolerable at lower volumes though.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
tubescreamers + solid state in general = yuck. Even if the solid state is decent, which an MG isn't really.
Honestly no, I have one and it is just... just horrible. However to get the best tone you can out of it (which is still just awful) roll back the volume on your guitar to about three then crank the amp to 10. This way you can get a loud, somewhat acceptable sound.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Just buy the Spider III 15W instead

Might serve you better.
Actually the micropube might be your best bet

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

HAHAHAHA...

hahaa...

..... ha...

no. Spiders are just MGs with more channels and slightly better distortion.

The Microcube, however, is an awesome practice amp. So thumbs up for that.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized, you said micropube
What ever you do to an MG it will sound like a cross between:

AND

Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
What ever you do to an MG it will sound like a cross between:

AND

A weird brown snake and George Bush? Naw. I think a log of sh!t and Hitler would be more accurate.
Quote by mafropetee
A weird brown snake and George Bush? Naw. I think a log of sh!t and Hitler would be more accurate.

Too true man.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I did however hear a guy playing a Mesa Boogie tube preamp pedal through an MG. It DID warm it up nicely... setback is that the pedal is a little over $300. Your better off buying a new amp so people dont make fun of you.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless