hey guys, thisisnt actually guitar question but i need to do this asap and this forum is always helpful. I need to be able to power a lamp with 1 120v bulb med base without plugging it in. Since it will be impossible to plug it in i assume i can use batteries. I figure that i could probably use 9 v batteries. That would make 13 batteries put out 117 volts from what i can tell or 126 from 14 batteries. How would i go about wiring this like series vs parallel and which of the 2 options would be a better choice?

Your more than welcome to tell me what you think and how this will or wont worlk and how to fix it.

Dont worry ill be putting 2 kill killswitches on it to make sure myself or noone else that goes near this well ever be in danger from what is pretty much live main power.

thanks again and any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.
This isnt

www.ultimate-fixadamnlightbulb.com

Now I would humor you with an answer to come across as less of an a$$hole but I dont have one (my only input is that wiring 13 or 14 9v batteries to power one lamp is retarded) so I'm just going to tell you to get out of GB&C

Start this thread in the pit if your really need help from a guitar forum over lightbulbs...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
LMAO ultimate-fixadamnlightbulb

why wouldn't you join like...iunno a home and garden forum for something like that.
Quote by Absent Mind
This isnt

www.ultimate-fixadamnlightbulb.com

Now I would humor you with an answer to come across as less of an a$$hole but I dont have one (my only input is that wiring 13 or 14 9v batteries to power one lamp is retarded) so I'm just going to tell you to get out of GB&C

Start this thread in the pit if your really need help from a guitar forum over lightbulbs...
Absent Mind, GB&C is frequented by people who are technically minded. Although it would appear to you that this thread is better in the Pit, that is not necessarily the case. Your attitude is unnecessarily hostile. I won't tell you to get out of GB&C, but I will tell you that your post has been reported.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
first of all, putting batteries in parallel is completly useless (as well as a bad idea). putting 9v batteries in parallel will provide you with no more than 9V. so they would all have to be in series.

also, with a 120v, 60w bulb, you are only running 2A (which is large, but not that large). so i wouldnt worry about 2 kill switches, one should be fine.

ill might as well leave this open cause people here like tech stuff i guess
2 amps is more than enough to kill you. .6 amps (or 60 milliamps I suppose) across the heart will stop it.

or maybe 6 amps? Well I'm going to just the mod... nevermind what I said.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
to explain, this is being used for a theatre prop for a show. it is for a lamp that is rolled onstage with a table and because of that, needs to be externally powered without being plugged in whihc explains the batteries. the lamp wioll be used for maybe 7 minutes a day, on possibly 10 occasions. it will therefor be used for maybe an hours worth of use. is there enough juice to power this bulb without having to replace the batteries? it will most likely be 25w- 40w. i guess i can use one on-off switch. will this also generate heat and become a small acid filled bomb?
and yes this group has already been much more helpful than the pit because im getting answers from people who know what theyre talking about when it comes to electricity.
I don't think a bunch of 9 volt batteries are capable of forming a bomb. Terrorists would have figured that out years ago.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
lol, either are firecrackers but ive heard about plenty of kids that have lost fingers and gotten badly burn by them
Those kids are mildly retarded. No one who is even semi intelligent would hold lit explosives close to their body.

I play with fire all the time, but I'm very, very careful lol!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
so yeah.... anything about the other questions not the exploding part? lol
First of all, you'll have to be very careful when you connect the batteries. Normally 9V batteries are connected with a clip. If you have the lamp plugged in, and all the batteries connected except one, you'll have over 100Volts between the two terminals of that clip. Touch that, and it will hurt like hell!

The box to house the batteries should probably be plastic or wood, rather than metal. Mount a standard outlet on the box and wire all the batteries in series. Do NOT use the ground connection on the outlet.

Make CERTAIN no one plugs anything other than a lamp into this. If they plug in a radio or other device with a transformer, you will cause serious damage. Transformers are meant to have AC input. They look almost like a short circuit to DC.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanks a lot!

am i correct in assuming i should be using 13 batteries and how long do you think this will last.
They make rechargeable battery packs that have a cigarette lighter adapter that are perfect for this. Just buy a power inverter and one of these, and you are set.

Linky:
http://www.cselinks.com/shopping-emporium/Cheap-12v+Jump+Start+With+Compressor-UK.html

The thing about wiring all of those batteries in series is that (A) it may cause the batteries to explode from heat (bad), or (B) the batteries may deliver enough current to fry the bulb. You'd need to look into it, but I don't think its worth all of the work.

Just buy or borrow a power pack like the one I showed you, get an inverter, flip the on switch when you need power, and smile because it looks like you are clever and resourceful.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
i feel as if that makes rthe 13 battery apx 20$ solution into a 100$ solution. and will they overheat over the course of 10 minutes and more importantly, will they overheat if the switch is set to off.
Quote by sethne
i feel as if that makes rthe 13 battery apx 20$ solution into a 100$ solution. and will they overheat over the course of 10 minutes and more importantly, will they overheat if the switch is set to off.

They won't overheat when the switch is off. I don't know where you came up with $100, I mean, here's a power pack for $30 + shipping:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2010841&productId=2010841&catalogId=10101

And a power inverter for $25 + shipping:

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PW200-12

You could probably find knockoff crap at Wal-Mart for $40 total. Plus it'd give you a safer more surefire setup that could be reused for future plays if need be.

Or, you could find someone that has these two items and borrow them, thats what we always did. We used this exact setup to power a lighted mobile telephone booth.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
unfourtunately we kind of left this light as a last minute though, opening is in lest than 48 hours
Try something else than a 120v bulb. It just has to light up right. Plenty of LED stuff out there that will run off AAA batts.
so... i hope everyone is aware of the Term "KISS" meaning keep it simple stupid. several hours ago i remeebered that my computer that im typing on has this

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=22

and it works absolutely fine. except some stupid buzzer that goes off every 30 secs. one minutes of soldering and a little speaker in the garbage fixed that right up.

thanks a lot everyone for all your help.