Hey guys,
I am looking for an amp that will get me a good metal tone, to a close to what Alex Lifeson gets with rush, to the AMAZING tone that is David Gilmour. Would a Peavey valvking 1x12 do this for me? I have no need for a stack, as I won't be playing any big gigs soon, and anyone that uses one of those playing to less than 1000 ppl is just showing off IMO.

Also, any amp + pedals that would add up to under $1000 would be very helpful aswell.

Willing to look into used too

pepsi
the two companies that come to mind are ENGL and Carvin.

a Carvin Legacy maybe?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
You might be able to pick up a used Hughes & Kettner Switchblade.

As used JCM 800 combo would be pretty cool.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
look for an alexi 600 my friend has one and it's sick

The Alexi-600 isn't an amplifier last time I checked.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
NOBODY will get david gilmours tone even if they have 100000000000 dollars. you could get damn close but you can never ever replicate it. Look for your own tone!

VK might do it, but hte cleans are crappy..
I would recommend a MESA F-30 and a good delay and chorus, and perhaps an OD

Delay- MXR carbon copy
Chorus- Empress Chorus or Diammond Chorus (or if you want to spend a little less, EHX small clone)
Quote by Highwaytohell
NOBODY will get david gilmours tone even if they have 100000000000 dollars. you could get damn close but you can never ever replicate it. Look for your own tone!

VK might do it, but hte cleans are crappy..
I would recommend a MESA F-30 and a good delay and chorus, and perhaps an OD

Delay- MXR carbon copy
Chorus- Empress Chorus or Diammond Chorus (or if you want to spend a little less, EHX small clone)

I think that the cleans are better quality than the distortion on a valveking.
I rockamend the B-52 Half Stack At-100/At-412
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
^^B-52 At100 is probably the most versatile, and best sounding amp you'll get new for under 1000 bones. Great cleans, great crystal clear but brutal OD, versatile. I would know I have one
Last edited by The Charm at Apr 23, 2008,
Mesa DC-5 (combo version if you want to save cash) plus a delay pedal. Also, you'd probably need two guitars at the very least; one with humbuckers to cover the heavy, and one with single coils to cover Gilmour's stuff (or at least the majority of it).