It's not for me, but for my friend...he plays ska and stuff like RATM, AC/DC, Incubus and Foo Fighters...any ideas?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
$400 won't really get you those tones with much clarity. You could always try a Vox with a classic overdrive pedal, but they wont be that close.
Quote by nedthehead
$400 won't really get you those tones with much clarity. You could always try a Vox with a classic overdrive pedal, but they wont be that close.

what about for $500?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
for 600 you can get a marshall mg halfstack. not the authentic marshall tone but it could definitely be much worse
^ AAAH WHAT?

For $500 you could get a Peavey Classic 30 (good for those styles) a Peavey Valveking 112 (Great for those styles, trust me) or a Crate Palomino (also good for those styles, I think).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by acdcfan1556
for 600 you can get a marshall mg halfstack. not the authentic marshall tone but it could definitely be much worse

he has an spider right now and an mg wouldn't be much better
-Homer Simpson
Quote by Sid McCall
^ AAAH WHAT?

For $500 you could get a Peavey Classic 30 (good for those styles) a Peavey Valveking 112 (Great for those styles, trust me) or a Crate Palomino (also good for those styles, I think).

thanks, those are all 30W right?
-Homer Simpson
yeah a valveking would be a great fit.
but your friend might find replacing the speaker and tubes would be a good idea.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
The Valveking is good but I personally think the distortion is lacking.
Valveking + Speaker swap. Tubes don't really need replacing IMO. They come stock with EH12AX7s.
You know what? We need to start suggesting used Carvins (MTS and X100). They're as good as any $800 amp for around $350 or $400. Definitely better than any of the budget amps often suggested around here.

So yeah, I'd go with one of those two Carvins.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I just picked up my Peavey Valveking 112 today and I'm lovin it. It takes my pedal well and I think I'm liking this Class A to Class A/B power selector.

Once you smell those tubes, see them glow and hear their tone you will never go back to solid state amp. Personally i would stay away from the MGs and the Hybrids

;
Fender deluxe 90 with DSP 400 bucks new......I just traded one...perfect clean channel...nice effects...distortion lacks crunch but its ac/dc for sure. No out put or headphone jacks...has pre amp in and out tho...its a 9 out of 10 just for the clean...sooooo pretty