1) What do the dots beside some notes mean, in notation?
2) When you guys are playing a piece how do you play 8th notes and keep in time.
Quote by Darkmessiahnz
2) When you guys are playing a piece how do you play 8th notes and keep in time.

1. Hold the note for its duration plus one half of its duration. For example, a quarter note in 4/4 is one beat; a dotted quarter note is one and one-half beats.
2. Practice the piece with a metronome; tapping your foot can help as well.
1) The note lasts for half of its duration again. a dotted quarter note lasts for 1.5 quarter notes.

2) In 4/4, two eighth notes per beat.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Darkmessiahnz

1. A dotted quarter note is equal to a quarter note plus an 8th note. A dotted 8th note is equal to an 8th note plus a 16th note. See the pattern?

2. One and Two and Three and Four and...
Quote by Darkmessiahnz

1) a dot adds 1/2 of the normal value to the note

examples (in 4/4):

quarter note = 1 beat
1 + 1/2
dotted quarter = 1 & 1/2 beats

Half note = 2 beats
2 + 1 (half of 2) = 3
dotted half = 3 beats

2) counting 8ths in 4/4

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
Since the first question has already been answered, I'll just touch on the second one and say that you have to subdivide in your head.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
1) The dots can either mean the note is played STACCATO, or it means add half the value of the original note to it
heres your tempo
1 2 3 4
a half note plays 1 2
a dotted half note plays 123
:]

the way eighth notes are is
heres your tempo again
1 2 3 4
1+2+3+4+
the +'s, or ANDS are the eight notes
they are half the value of a quarter
two eights=one quarter
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
^To clarify, the staccato would be indicated by the dot being placed above the note, whereas the rhythmic dot would be placed next to the note.
KK any good ideas, I got told I could go like "1 and 2 and 3 and 4" but is there any other ways that you guys know of?
Quote by Darkmessiahnz
KK any good ideas, I got told I could go like "1 and 2 and 3 and 4" but is there any other ways that you guys know of?
No, not really.
Quote by Darkmessiahnz

Like I said, practice your rhythms with a metronome and you'll begin to internalize specific beats and subdivisions of beats.
theres an "and' after 4 also
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
and if your playing 16th notes
its
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a
:]
but yeah as the guy above me said
staccato is written directly above or below a note
a dotted note is always to the right of the note
(in western music)
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
K awesome thanks guys, I need to buy a metronome.
Also I tried the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & method and that works quite well.
may i ask...?
what are you needing to use dotted and eighth notes for?
just getting onto theory now or what?
i learned all my theory online :]
my band teacher said i basically know enough to get through a college music class
so just do some research online
its all there
this link is great
http://8notes.com/theory/
a bunch of lessons
in perfect order to learn