Do you guys usually prefer a band's early material, their new material, or like them both equally? I personally usually like a band's early material more than new but there are a few exceptions.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Opeth - Both
Death - "Newer"
Dream Theater - Both
Cannibal Corpse - Newer
Vader - Older
Carcass - Both
At the Gates - Both
Behemoth - Older
Bathory - Older
Immortal - Both
Elvenking - Both
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
It's generally the same with me, particularly with death metal bands.

I usually prefer the older stuff, but of course there's always exceptions.
Blind Guardian - Both
Maiden - Both, but their older stuff is so amazing
Metallica - Older, by a longshot
Dream Theater - Both
Hammerfall - Older
Manowar - Both
In Flames - Older
Helloween - Older
Gamma Ray - Both
Sonata Arctica - Both
Kamelot - Both
Elvenking - Both, but their newest album wasn't as good as the first 3

This is all I'll put for now, as if I listed all the bands I'm into, it'd go on for a while.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
wouldn't it depend on the quality of the respective musical output?

I know, I'm asking which one you generally like more, like I said, I like most bands' earlier stuff more than newer stuff, but there are exceptions.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
heh but that's also kind of what I meant There are so many bands around, that just by statistic alone it would even out. To take Opeth as an easy example, I love the sound of Morningrise, but by the same token I love what they did on Deliverance just as much, but in a different way. They're at the opposite end of Opeth's music spectrum.

It's very much a case-by-case basis, imo

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
This question is very specific, so to answer it generally would be stupid. I couldn't tell you overall which side I choose.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
heh but that's also kind of what I meant There are so many bands around, that just by statistic alone it would even out. To take Opeth as an easy example, I love the sound of Morningrise, but by the same token I love what they did on Deliverance just as much, but in a different way. They're at the opposite end of Opeth's music spectrum.

It's very much a case-by-case basis, imo

Oh ok, I didn't get what you meant before.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
early: opeth, CoB(blooddrunk is OK), slayer, dream theater(like first or second album early then from there its like wtf thats the same band? to me at least) diamond head, exodus.

both:judas priest, racer x, iron maiden, ensiferum, yngwie, death, helloween, rhapsody of fire
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Death- Newer (Post- Spiritual healing, though their old stuff is awesome too)
Dying Fetus- Newer
Slayer- Older (Pre- Devine Intervention)
Opeth- Both
Kalmah- Both (Now that I've gotten used to their old, more black metal-ish vocals)
Cannibal Corpse- New (Old stuff had some classics, but too many filler-ish songs.)
At the Gates- Newer
In Flames- Older
Behemoth- New
Iron Maiden- Old
Black Sabbath- Old
Judas Priest- Older
Candlemass-Older
Electric Wizard- Older (Though Witchcult was pretty impressive)
Carcass- Both
Decapitated- New
Deicide- Both
Emperor- Old (I like their new stuff too, just not Ihsahn's vocals)
Megadeth- Old
Morbid Angel- Old
Metallica- Old
Nile- Both
Strapping Young Lad- Both
Spawn of Possession-Both
While it may certainly hold true that in some cases, certain bands have made better music earlier on... something else is a really stupid trend, I've found.

It's beginning to be really aggravating with how a lot of people seem to, by default, state that earlier work by a band is of course better. Sure, this might be true. However, most of the time it seems like there isn't a very good reason to it. Usually, the band has supposedly just "sold out" or become more "mainstream" sounding. Even worse, a reason that has nothing to do with the music, like their appearance, or the fans that they've started to attract.

You know, what some people don't seem to realize is that most of the time, people will hear a bands earlier work before what's newer (naturally). Now, when you find music you like, chances are you become attached to it in some way. So when it changes in any way, it can have an adverse effect. At the very least, anything is more novel when its new to you. Sometimes, people may even think that the music is more special, more exclusive, to them when not as many people know about it. And once a band that someone has liked for a while has since gotten more exposure, its almost as if stating you like the "older stuff" better, makes you superior to the newer fans, which is just stupid and immature.

I really don't think reasons like this should keep one from enjoying new music from a band you already like. Most of the time, I like a bands newer material. Sometimes I even like it better. It all depends on the band, though.
Last edited by Delanoir at Apr 23, 2008,
Not to sound pretentious, but I can't think of a band that I like their latest album more than their first album.
Quote by Delanoir
While it may certainly hold true that in some cases, certain bands have made better music earlier on... something else is a really stupid trend, I've found.

It's beginning to be really aggravating with how a lot of people seem to, by default, state that earlier work by a band is of course better. Sure, this might be true. However, most of the time it seems like there isn't a very good reason to it. Usually, the band has supposedly just "sold out" or become more "mainstream" sounding. Even worse, a reason that has nothing to do with the music, like their appearance, or the fans that they've started to attract.

You know, what some people don't seem to realize is that most of the time, people will hear a bands earlier work before what's newer (naturally). Now, when you find music you like, chances are you become attached to it in some way. At the very least, anything is more novel when its new to you. Sometimes, people may even think that the music is more special, more exclusive, to them when not as many people know about it. And once a band that someone has liked for a while has since gotten more exposure, its almost as if stating you like the "older stuff" better, makes you superior to the newer fans, which is just stupid and immature.

I really don't think reasons like this should keep one from enjoying new music from a band you already like. Most of the time, I like a bands newer material. Not always, but usually. It all depends on the band, though.

I don't mean it like that, I don't give a **** about a band's image, I just kinda prefer a rawer sound over a highly polished one. Plus most bands are at their creative peak during their first few albums.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
It's hard to say generally because I make that decision on a case by case basis.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Plus most bands are at their creative peak during their first few albums.

I see what you're saying but I haven't found this to be the case in enough instances to warrant a ‘newer’ or ‘earlier’ answer.
I have a thing for debut albums so my answers is early. There seems to be more aggressivity on the early albums on most of the thrash bands and i think thats the reason i like early more.
Well, like many others pointed out. Depends on the band.

Death - Later
In Flames - Earlier
Metallica - Earlier
Opeth - Later
Meshuggah - Later
Dimmu Borgir - Later
Cradle of Filth - Earlier
Nile - Later
Behemoth - Later
Job For A Cowboy - Later
All Shall Perish Later
Psycroptic - Earlier

Etc. I could go on, but you kinda get it...
clearly depends on the band. bands that i actually prefer the later stuff of include malevolent creation (but not as late as warkult lol), morbid angel (mainly for formulas) and i cant think of any others at the moment

bands that were good but went to complete **** with later stuff include hate eternal, exodus, and i cant think of any others
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
It really does depend on the band.. but to be honest with most bands I can think of off the top of my head, I do prefer their earlier albums.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Intelligence levels = maximum on that, Mag.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Opeth - both
Dimmu Borgir - I liked Stormblast and For All Tid the best, but I like the new stuff too.
Cradle of Filth - Early (Midian and before. Thornography was teh gheyz.)
Theatre of Tragedy - Early (First two albums were awesome, Aegis was 'meh,' and then they went all gay industrial/techno rock.)
Dark Tranquillity - Both
Emperor - Early (I actually liked Prometheus though.)
My Dying Bride - Both really, it just depends on what I feel like hearing. (Songs of Darkness... owns.)
Graveworm - Early (Engraved in Black and before.)
The Kovenant - Early (Basically while they were "Covenant")
Immortal - Both

Yeah, it just depends, but it does seem like a good majority of bands were better in the beginning.