Ok sooo I've been tinkering with a fender strat i picked up second hand.

The floating tremolo was sitting too high off of the body and the action was ridiculously high so I assumed that the springs had long since lost their strength. I went out and bought three brand new replacement springs.

To my surprise, after putting in the new springs and tightening up the spring screws to the max, the tremolo STILL floats way too high off of the body. I even tried putting the two old springs on as well making it FIVE springs (three new) pulling on the bridge at maximum strength on a measly set of ernie ball super slinky strings.

What could be happening here? I detune the strings each time i adjust the spring tension yet each time i retune, the thin piece of metal that i slide under the floater slides out from under it before i can even finish tuning the third string. What could be pulling these springs so much?

I'm at the end of my rope here...any help is greatly appreciated ----New member, first post sos! jL
I don't quite follow you, some pictures would help.
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
is it a Floyd rose?
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Can you post some pictures? 5 springs should f*cking bury a bridge into the body with Super Slinky 9's installed
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I would think 5 springs would hold most anything down...

Unless your first assumption was correct and the old springs have, for the most part, lost their strength, in which case, having three new springs+two old ones=the same three new springs pretty much doing all the work.

Try getting two other new springs to replace the old ones.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
A picture of the bridge might help some, but if i understand you correctly its a strat bridge, and on those bridges if the six screws in front of the saddles are unscrewed too much it can cause a bridge to behave like you're describing. other than that i can't really think of anything that would make that happen.
"I don't quite follow you, some pictures would help"

hmmm well i dont have a camera but let me see if i can map this out with words

so the bridge on the strat has a floating or "synchronized" tremolo. You know where the whammy bar is ? I assume you know what i'm talking about. Anyways, rather than being flush up against the body or hovering nicely above it, the tremolo is floating wayyyy above the body so that the strings are way too high off of the frets. I thought that tightening the springs in the back would raise the tension on the tremolo and pull the bridge down....and it does...but once i tune up the guitar again the tightened strings are somehow overpowering the springs and pulling the bridge right back up and too high off of the body.

What i meant by the piece of metal is that after i tightened the springs at the back and the bridge is tight against the body, i slip a thin strip of metal under the tremolo to raise it back up while i retune it so that the strings aren't constantly falling out of tune while i go...they say that after you tune your guitar the metal piece (or wood, or a spoon, or even a thin coaster) should slide out from under the floating tremolo easily...but not too easy. Mine slides out before i can even finish tuning because the springs simply don't seem to be pulling on the bridge enough. I dont see why not though because i have five of them on there and very light guitar strings.
"if the six screws in front of the saddles are unscrewed too much it can cause a bridge to behave like you're describing. other than that i can't really think of anything that would make that happen."

Do you mean the screws that attach the bridge to the body or the tiny screws on the saddles themselves...I've lowered the saddle screws so much that they dig into my palms and the strings are still too high, the tremolo is floating too high off of the body i just dont see why.
it's not a floyd rose... i was thinking of buying two new springs as the next step but like you say...you would think with slinkys it would be buried with three new ones at max tension
Not the screws on the saddles, in front of them. on the metal that the saddles are sitting on. the screws that actually hold the bridge to the body.
right the ones that hold the bridge to the body are snug. I tried loosening them up a bit to see what would happen and it just kinda raised the whole bridge...I just retuned it again and the bridge is actually a lower than it was before. It's still not flat against the body though, and with all that tension i still think something doesnt add up...the guitar was also a major pain to tune and keeps falling out as soon as i play///gonna try to take pictures
I'm running a mac, do you guys know a good image file compression software? I can't upload any photos cause it says they are too big...
If you have a simple photo editing program, with most of them you can just simply resize the image smaller, save the image, and upload those.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
LOL

I think you resized 'em a little TOO small.

What gauge strings are you using? The seem awfully thick... The small pictures make it hard to tell though.
hahaha yea i'm having a hell of a time with this shrinking nonsense. They are super slinkys so that's .0something right?
Yeah, I can see that it's raised.

I've got a Fender with 9's on it, and the bridge height doesn't seem to be far off from yours (I like mine to float), BUT I barely had to adjust the spring tension at all.

The only thing I can really think that causes this is either:

Those strings aren't the size you thought (I'd check the package just to confirm).
The old springs are bad (get two new springs... although if you adjusted the spring tension as much as you say you did, that should be enough to flatten the bridge for 9's I would think.... unless the strings are not 9's...)

Just for the heck of it, might want to check the relief on the neck as well. The following link can help.

http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

edit: Just saw the new picture... is it me, or does the left side look higher up than the right side (the side with the thick strings)? Someone find Jenny...
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 23, 2008,
the bridge lays flat against the body until i tighten the strings and then it raises up . These are ernie ball super slinkys against three new springs with maximum tension, it should stay flush if not dig into the body no? Also notice the height of the saddle pegs sticking out at the top. The action is set to be super low yet the picture of the strings on the neck has them still fairly high. There is little bow in the neck
thanks man, i will check into all of that tomorrow. You guys have been great, ~ I'll let you know how it all turns out
That's the puzzle I'm trying to figure out. Three new springs at maximum tension SHOULD be enough to make the bridge flush with the body for 9's.

I'll assume you're tuning to EADGBe...

Bow in the neck. How much? If you checked the website, follow their instructions to check the amount of relief. Does the truss-rod need adjustment? I'm wondering that if there's TOO much bow, if that could actually pull the bridge up.
hmm so you think maybe too much relief in the neck is giving the strings more pull over the bridge somehow? I am doing standard tuning and i did loosen the neck a tad a few days before i started playing with the springs. I will check out that website first thing tomorrow. I just hope i havent done any pernament damage to the neck by dinking with the truss rod
As long as the adjustments you made were small, and you didn't hear any cracking or splintering (lol) you should be ok.

Let us know tomorrow.
hey hakael, just checking in.

looks good.

dont adjust the neck.
yes the bridge looks tilted.
the springs have lost their ability to hold the bridge down.

picture of a maxed out spring cavity.. and those are the two screws to adjust.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 24, 2008,
Tremelo springs also come in various sizes - You may have springs that are too long to apply enough tension to counteract the strings at parallel. Only when they are extended do they apply enough tension.

Look for some shorter springs (I believe they are colored gold.)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer