Could an old 60W Fender Bassman head handle metal if I throw in a distortion pedal? And if so, what's the CHEAPEST pedal I could buy that will make it sound good for metal?

I play lead in a band, and the BOTB at my school is coming up May 9th. The guitarist from one of the other bands said I could borrow his Peavey XXX and Marshall 1960 cab if he can get it working (he didn't say what was wrong with it). But just in case that falls through, I can get ahold of the Bassman, which I imagine would still be unimaginably better than my Line 6 Spider II 112.

Oh, and just to brag a little bit, since this is the high school that they went to, Trivium always shows up at the BOTB every year and acts as a judge.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
it would be hard to do i think. it will be muddy and not at all tight. your line 6 isnt bad at doing metal tbh.
I wouldn't trust Trivium to judge "good music" personally.

Anyway, just about any amp will do metal if you chuck a distortion pedal in front of it. Look into the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff.
You have an old bassman. I hate you. I want that amp!

It might be able to, an overdrive would work better, perphaps a fulltone OCD or a CMatmods Signadrive. THose are the best sounding at the best price (fulltone is 160, Cmatmods is 130)
If Trivium comes, you best be using that Triple XXX.

You don't want to kill Trivium via Line 6 ear rape.

Or maybe you do? Not a lot of people enjoy the new Trivium stuff.

The Bassman wouldn't have the right voicing for metal.

If you need a cheap metal amp, just get a Randall RG50TC or a Valveking.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by chea_man
it would be hard to do i think. it will be muddy and not at all tight. your line 6 isnt bad at doing metal tbh.

Naw, that's a pretty dumb opinion. Clean tube amps sound excellent, defined, articulated, and all the rest when paired with good distortion. Definitely better than that Spider.

So Bassman + pedal will sound great. Metal muff if you want to join the bandwagon, or maybe even a DS-1 plus an overdrive.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Naw, that's a pretty dumb opinion. Clean tube amps sound excellent, defined, articulated, and all the rest when paired with good distortion. Definitely better than that Spider.

So Bassman + pedal will sound great. Metal muff if you want to join the bandwagon, or maybe even a DS-1 plus an overdrive.

Why is his opinion dumb? There's no such thing as a dumb opinion.

And if there was, I'd definately say yours isn't much better.

I'm just kidding.

Metal distortion with Fender amps sound pretty turdy in my opinion. It makes the Jensen and Oxblood speakers sound like they're tearing apart when you really give it volume. They also end up sounding quite muddy and harsh too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Highwaytohell
You have an old bassman. I hate you. I want that amp!

It might be able to, an overdrive would work better, perphaps a fulltone OCD or a CMatmods Signadrive. THose are the best sounding at the best price (fulltone is 160, Cmatmods is 130)

It's not mine, it's my drummer's brother's. He also has a really nice Fender... uh. It's either a Mustang or a Jaguar. Or a Jagstang. Idk it's just really nice. I don't really have that much to spend on a pedal. Like $50 tops and that's pushing it. And I obviously don't have the time to save up for a new amp, so don't even bother suggesting that. I'm gonna go by the other guitarist's house and check out the XXX. If it's just bad tubes then I'll pay for a retubing.

And I like Trivium. I just think that Matt needs to back off a little bit, since Corey is the (much) better guitarist, and doesn't do crack.

Kso, any pedals that would work for $50 or less?

EDIT:
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Metal distortion with Fender amps sound pretty turdy in my opinion. It makes the Jensen and Oxblood speakers sound like they're tearing apart when you really give it volume. They also end up sounding quite muddy and harsh too.

Oh, it's just a head. I would be using either the house speakers or the Marshall cabs that guy from the other band is using.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why is his opinion dumb? There's no such thing as a dumb opinion.

And if there was, I'd definately say yours isn't much better.

I'm just kidding.

Meh, his opinion might have been plausible, but I ignored it once I reached "the spider is fine".

And "It makes the Jensen and Oxblood speakers..." .... that's the speakers, not the amp. You can always change those. Also depends what distortion you're using. But different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
i will once again say this.
line 6s dont sound horrible. if you cant get a decent metal sound out of it, then you should find a new hobby. collect stamps or something.
Quote by chea_man
line 6s dont sound horrible. if you cant get a decent metal sound out of it, then you should find a new hobby. collect stamps or something.

This is true, I'll admit. AT LOW VOLUMES. Once it goes past 9 o'clockish, it breaks up like crazy and just kinda starts to sh!t on itself. And don't tell me that I just haven't "tweaked" it right. I've had the damn thing for nearly 3 years and I've tweaked the living hell out of it. Kthanks.
Quote by chea_man

If you hear metal tone as overly saturated and muddy with undefined palm muting, then yes, I agree with you.

The Line 6 Spider I have is an alright practice amp, but I definately don't give it more credit then it's actually worth.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you hear metal tone as overly saturated and muddy with undefined palm muting, then yes, I agree with you.

The Line 6 Spider I have is an alright practice amp, but I definately don't give it more credit then it's actually worth.

what do you think its gonna sound like through a bassman?
Quote by chea_man
what do you think its gonna sound like through a bassman?

Read post number 7 and you'll find out yeah?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Read post number 7 and you'll find out yeah?

ok, haha, so which not great metal tone should he go with?
Fulltone OCD + Xotic AC Booster run together? I'm not sure what music you listen to/play aside from the very vague "metal" in the thread title, so I can't really help too much. You could probably use a variety of distortion pedals to get a metal sound. The Sword get their distortion from Either a EHX Metal Muff or a Maxon Sonic Distortion, so maybe that would do it.
Barber burn unit. Just lights up my twin.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I don't know a pedal for under 50 bucks, but a Bassman can do metal. The Plexi is bassed of the bassman, just with an extra gain stage. So if you get a gainy pedal, you can do it.
Quote by imgooley
I don't know a pedal for under 50 bucks, but a Bassman can do metal. The Plexi is bassed of the bassman, just with an extra gain stage. So if you get a gainy pedal, you can do it.

naw they both have 2 gain stages + cathode follower in their preamp.

there are quite a few overlooked VERY good high gain pedals out there though, do some research. For example the rare Zoom Tri-metal and Hyper lead are great, hyper lead gets a really good mesa-ish tone.

As for the advice of getting an overdrive pedal + a possible booster, i wouldnt recommend it. that combination on a low gain amp will make it sound raspy and not really metal(well perhaps a bit like old school 70's metal). too much overdrive in too few gain stages just doesnt give the metal tightness and responsiveness, it sounds more like fuzz.
Last edited by 1337void at Apr 24, 2008,
od pedal + clean CLEAN tone from the bassman, no bluesy thickness of any sort

actually, if you can get the cleanest sound you can out of the bassman (try to emulate a jc-120 if you know what that sounds like, without the chorus though) then just buy a boss ds-1 or ds-2

maybe a ds-2 if you wanna be safe and go with that little bit of extra gain that it has over the ds-1, but speaking out of experience, if you have the right clean tone from your amp, a ds-1 will do the job like hell
it gets a better shred tone than br00tal chugging though, so if you're into that, go for it

EDIT: I would recommend something more suitable for metal, but you mentioned cheap, so i figured 40 bucks would be the cheapest available to get
I have a 1975 Bassman 100, and i play heavy metal, it does it beautifuly, dunno about a 60? but it would have beautiful clean tone like mine
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
bassman = perfect for doom metal
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I wouldn't trust Trivium to judge "good music" personally.

Anyway, just about any amp will do metal if you chuck a distortion pedal in front of it. Look into the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff.

The Metal Muff can turn a Hot Rod Deluxe into a metal amp, so it's definitely worth a look.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by chea_man
it will be muddy and not at all tight.

It will be plenty tight. The amount of mud depends on the pedal in this case.
you can never go wrong with a marshall govner or jackhammer pedal they are cheeper and easy to get a hold of