So i just got my Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire today, and i needed to buy a firewire card for my laptop, but when i get home with the card i try and put it in the slot and good ole dell has to use a fuc king different PC slot then everyone else.

So my mixer is now a $300 paperweight until i can find the right card...

but i was thinking that the ExpressCard would work cause its slimmer...any ideas?
Rtfm?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I thought it was a song name.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Quantonyne
So i just got my Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire today, and i needed to buy a firewire card for my laptop, but when i get home with the card i try and put it in the slot and good ole dell has to use a fuc king different PC slot then everyone else.

but i was thinking that the ExpressCard would work cause its slimmer...any ideas?

Example right here...

Check your computer's PCI slots BEFORE you buy.
Quote by Quantonyne

What's the Dell? Chances are, they'll have the type of card slot mentioned in its specs somewhere. Heck, if you look under Device Manager (Control Panel - System and look around there) they'll probably list it (PCMCIA on mine).

Btw, chemist, PCI is a different interface used on desktops.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
sell the dell - go for a laptop with on board firewire port
or
sell your interface/mixer and go with a USB unit...(not the best thing to do IMO...)
or
Just go with a good ol desktop, they are easy to upgrade and work although they are not so portable...

Research is the #1 thing to do BEFORE buying. You must know if everything will work before spending any money to avoid things like this.

See if Dell or someone has a compatible firewire card for your laptop. Chances are theres something out there.
Quote by Quantonyne

If its a new laptop I'd be surprised if it didn't have built in firewire, and if its fairly new theres a chance it will ahve an expresscard slot, as that is the connection that is replacing PCMCIA. My macbook pro has an expresscard slot as opposed to a PCMCIA slot, but I would be surprised to see a laptop with ExpressCard and no onboard firewire. Perhaps its a mini style firewire slot? The model of the laptop would help us out.
Quote by Quantonyne

So you bought the wrong type of expansion card for your laptop and you're mad at Dell? Did you spec the expansion port before you ordered or did you just buy the first thing you saw that said laptop firewire.

It's kind of like being mad at Ford because you accidentally put diesel in your gas engine isn't it...
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Btw, chemist, PCI is a different interface used on desktops.

That is still a PCI slot on his laptop.
PCMCIA or its derivatives may communicate in the same manner or have almost the same bandwidth as a PCI slot, but I'd like to ensure that they are distinct.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
your laptop most likely has the mini firewire, its a small rectangle and says 1394, just get a chord that goes from your interface to that size slot. just go to futureshop and ask, they should have it.