I purchased a new amp, and now i wanna record with it! im kinda retarded with recording with mic's so i need to tutorial. Im a progressive musician, my music has a lot of variety, heavy, soft etc.
I need a good, relatively cheap....
Microphone to Mic the amp...
Mic Preamp
And a way to get it from the preamp to the computer either through
Firewire or USB.
I have the software part covered.

Any suggestions?
Proud JEM owner.
If you're wanting to mic it, it's pretty easy. Just put the microphone from your computer next to the amps speaker.
well, this has been used on 1000+ recordings

Shure SM-57 (80 bucks)
to a
ART Tube MP (like 80 bucks)
to a
M-Audio Fast Track USB (100 bucks)
You actually don't need the ART Tube MP for chemist's hook-up. The Fast Track has a preamp that should be enough for the SM57. As for which speaker to mic (assuming it's a multi-speaker cabinet) listen to your playing at very low volumes and determine which speaker sounds the best (it's subjective, I know).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I figured he wanted a pre-amp, so I put the cheapest pre-amp I could think of.
Sonicorb haha good one.

yea all you need to run a mic is your mic and an adapter cable that goes from XLR to 1/8" TRS to run to your stock sound card but dont expect much from it. You will get some latency and distortion out of that rig.

The best way to go these days is with an interface. Most are USB and have on board Preamps so you can just plug in a mic without any other gear. I would suggest something like the Fast Track USB by M-Audio if you are on a budget. You will be able to record one mic at a time with this unit but it works well if you are the only one recording.
Well im looking for a really authentic sound, like, close to studio quality so i can get the full tone of the amp. i was looking at the ART a while ago for my vocalist. Now i know its for guitar to... lol *smacks head*
Ok so the Shure and the Art are in, but what about a firewire recording device, does that make a difference?

btw, thanks for all the help everyone! i REALLY appreciate it!
Proud JEM owner.
an interface will make the biggest improvement in your sound. Running into a stock card which was never made to record will give poor results most of the time.

If you want to record more than two mono inputs (two mics) at one time you will want to go with firewire since USB will mix any more than two tracks into one making editing hard.

If you are only recording a few things like guitars and vocals then using a drum machine or program you can get away with a USB interface like one of the m-audio units but if you want to record a lot in one take, (usually not the best way to go...) go with a firewire interface like the mackie onyx satellite.

If you get an interface you wont need a preamp for the mics, you will need a cable and mic...nothing more.

Your final sound depends on your mixing and mastering skills. You could be using the latest recording hardware and software but still get crud recordings. It takes time to learn the process and get your skills up to get near studio quality.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by dogismycopilot
This helped my guitarist and I greatly.

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

Sonicorb will be here soon to rescue you....

....hang in there my son.

Let me talk about how good this video is.

Now let me talk about how I just bookmarked it for future reference.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Let me talk about how good this video is.

Now let me talk about how I just bookmarked it for future reference.

DS

Am I to infer that the video did jack for you?
Don't get riled up dog, it is as informative as it was long. I bookmarked it so I can watch the 2nd half (when he's showing his mic setup).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Don't get riled up dog, it is as informative as it was long. I bookmarked it so I can watch the 2nd half (when he's showing his mic setup).

I'm just saying......

....u bastard.

You could get a nice Onyx Satellite Firewire interface for $200 if you are willing to go that high.
Quote by PsychomanZ
Nice one..i bookmarked that sh*t...lol

Thank you

You knew what i meant Moody.
Quote by eXperiment63
You could get a nice Onyx Satellite Firewire interface for $200 if you are willing to go that high.

Well im really only looking to record my guitar. the drums/bass/keys/vox aren't my concern. I just wanna be able to home record my amp for personal recording. but since you you put it that way, i think i might get the Onyx.

The ART Tube-Pre will def. beef up my tone right?
Proud JEM owner.
Ok... This is what i've come up with so far.
Won't be able to purchase all this for a while but one day i shall!!!!
\m/ -.- \m/

Im getting a Shure SM57 Mic - $99.00

The ART Tube PAC - $129.99

Thats decided on unless anyone here objects with a reasonable point.

Now... either the Yamaha GO46 which is $199.00 or the M-Audio FireWire 410 which is $299.99. Im leaning more torwards the M-Audio 410 because its a great brand name, relatively cheap and has a lot more controls. but its also $100.99 more than the Yamaha.

any suggestions?
Proud JEM owner.
Quote by Space-Viking
Ok... This is what i've come up with so far.
Won't be able to purchase all this for a while but one day i shall!!!!
\m/ -.- \m/

Im getting a Shure SM57 Mic - $99.00

The ART Tube PAC - $129.99

Thats decided on unless anyone here objects with a reasonable point.

Now... either the Yamaha GO46 which is $199.00 or the M-Audio FireWire 410 which is $299.99. Im leaning more torwards the M-Audio 410 because its a great brand name, relatively cheap and has a lot more controls. but its also $100.99 more than the Yamaha.

any suggestions?

The mike's fine, but why do you want the hybrid preamp/compressor? You might as well get a dedicated unit that's kick ass like the FMR RNC, which is $50 more but is said to be as good as $1000 units. Then you can use the preamp of the interfaces.

As for the interfaces, they look like overkill. You are just recording your amp correct? So you only need one or two inputs at a time; a USB interface or less expensive Firewire (unless you need MIDI) will do the trick. Presonus's 1394, Mackie's Onyx Satellite, M Audio's Fasttrack, or Emu's 0202 are much less expensive.
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by dogismycopilot
Am I to infer that the video did jack for you?

Absolutely NOT. I thought it was a great video. I actually watch the entire thing in almost one sitting on my lunch break. Then I bookmarked it for future reference.

Not sure how you got "didn't do jack for me" out of my post but oh well. The "let me talk about" is a play on the segue between each subject in the video. The guy used that phrase alot, and I thought it would be funny for the others that saw it.

Anyways thanks for sharing that, I will be passing it along as needed.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic