so right now I have a creative zen vision w mp3 player. I love this brick. Its hard drive based, I believe. Now the thing is, I'm thinking of upgrading to the new zen model. But the new one is flash based memory. I don't think I've ever had a flash based mp3 player before. What all does flash based mean? Is it better than hard drive based memory? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
I prefer flash though. cuz i just dropped my hard disk Mp3 player by accident and now it wont start up and makes clicking sound and beepin noises like ropocop gone crazy

lmao
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Flash memory is faster, requires less power (thus longer battery life/smaller battery with the same life) and (I think) is getting smaller than HD's too.

I think thats the case anyway.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Flash memory is faster, requires less power (thus longer battery life/smaller battery with the same life) and (I think) is getting smaller than HD's too.

I think thats the case anyway.

flash memory has always been physically smaller than hard drives, and smaller capacity as well but its catching up to hard drive capacity all the time.

to sum it up:

Flash memory
Pros: Smaller size, Less Power, more reliable/less likely to break when you drop it
Cons: Smaller capacity

Hard Drives
Pros: Large Capacity
Cons: Dropping one can ruin your day/year, bigger than your pocket
The guy above me is right.
The major difference between hard drive and flash is that flash has no moving parts so it cant be harmed from small falls, while hard drive does have moving parts, giving more memory, but its easier to break.
Space reserved for cool quotes.
Flash memory is awesome and has no moving parts, usually faster.
Hard drives have moving parts, and can be slower. Take more power. More prone to breakage.
Quote by paintITblack39
Soon enough Flash based hard drives will replace the disk based ones.

As of now, flash based harddrives have a relatively low rewrite cycle compared to a standard harddrives and are not completely capable because of this.
I'm looking forward to seeing some higher capacity players come out in the next couple of years.

My zen vision M 60gb is a real freakin brick. But I like to have my entire collection on my mp3 player and 32gb won't cut it. And I really don't want an ipod.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I'm looking forward to seeing some higher capacity players come out in the next couple of years.

My zen vision M 60gb is a real freakin brick. But I like to have my entire collection on my mp3 player and 32gb won't cut it. And I really don't want an ipod.

yeah, having a music library over around 30gb gets you in some trouble when youre looking for a portable player

EDIT: if ya want a really decent one