Is it illegal to take a picture of someone on your phone without their permission? I'm wondering because today we had a half day at school and me and some of my friends went to this ice cream shop and there was this hot girl and i took a picture of her. Then she saw my friend looking at the picture on my phone and started bitching at me to delete it. I said no and she threatened to sue me because her dad is a lawyer. So finally I deleted it to shut her up. So I was wondering if it is actually illegal or not.
One Love, One Heart, Let's Get Together And Feel Alright

Member of UG's Vegetarian Club. Add to sig to join!
I really don't know...ask her dad. :P
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
no. its only illegal if you mass produce it/sell it for profit etc.

but really, thats kinda weird dude. taking picture of random girls you think are hot?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I think it is illegal actually... But I'm not entirely sure.

Invasion of privacy or something?
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
it could be considered as invasion of privacy, but i dont think its really that illegal but the girl could really have sued you
it depends on the picture...send me it and i'll tell you if its legal or not.

jk
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

but really, thats kinda weird dude. taking picture of random girls you think are hot?

Well I take lots of random pictures of just about anything so it really isn't weird for me to take pictures of people.
One Love, One Heart, Let's Get Together And Feel Alright

Member of UG's Vegetarian Club. Add to sig to join!
Quote by system of chaos
Is it illegal to take a picture of someone on your phone without their permission?
No. Taking a person's picture is not illegal. But what you DO with the picture could be illegal.

EDIT:
If the picture was upskirt, that IS illegal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Bushinarin
You're not supposed to film people without their consent.

True, i dont exactly know what the law is on it tho... Phone up your local police department, lol
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Quote by andrid
it depends on the picture...send me it and i'll tell you if its legal or not.

jk

haha good one

EDIT: and btw, it's not illegal unless you are going to like broadcast it or something.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
its not illegal, however you cant use it for anything if it shows her face w/o her permission. im a wedding photographer if there face is shown you need a release form signed by the person but theres no law against taking a picture of someone
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Last edited by blaze2thekings at Apr 23, 2008,
its illegal to film any body with out that persons consent.
my friend got kicked out of school for filming a teacher in class.
Quote by system of chaos
Well I take lots of random pictures of just about anything so it really isn't weird for me to take pictures of people.

no it is, if i were the girl I would have punched/ bitchslapped you
you can sue over anything, but you can't really claom damages for something like that, plus no reasonable lawyer would even bother, as it would probably get thrown out very quickly.

also it really isn't invasion of privacy since she was out in public, the only way she could get you is if you distributed the image.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
no. its only illegal if you mass produce it/sell it for profit etc.

At football games me and my buds would go on a hunt to find the best ass and snap a photo of it, whoever won got $5.
filming someone on school campus isnt the same as a photo of someone out in public, filming isnt usually allowed without permits, but photography is game on in public DUH the paparazzi take pictures of people all day and obviously those people dont want their picture taken
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Quote by blaze2thekings
**cant** use it for anything w/o permission

There is an edit function.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by The Silent Fool
At football games me and my buds would go on a hunt to find the best ass and snap a photo of it, whoever won got $5.

see this is the kinda thing that i thought the TS was doing. i may of misread what exactly he was doing. i have some friends that walk around with their big giant cameras snapping pics of this and that. if thats what the TS was doing i take back what i said.

but this, yeah, this is weird. you really think thats the way your going to get a chick?

but back to the topic i found this article, and no, what the TS did was not illegal

There is no general legal requirement to obtain someone’s authorization to take his or her photograph. However, there are situations where photography can infringe on important social interests such as national security, protection of children, right of privacy, etc. Most of these situations are strictly controlled by national laws and regulations. Irrespective of the legalities, there are also some things a photographer should not photograph for ethical reasons. Certain photographs of people may amount to exploiting the persons concerned or misrepresenting the truth. If you, as a photographer, know the law and one’s legal rights, you will also be in a better position to find solutions that minimize your legal risks.

http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents/ip_photography.htm#3.1
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I just realized that we could all be right... seeing as we're from different States/Countries.

I don't know PA's law on filming without consent.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
i usually talk to girls that i think are hot, save the pictures for the foreplay
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Quote by Bushinarin
I just realized that we could all be right... seeing as we're from different States/Countries.

I don't know PA's law on filming without consent.

In CA you can, but no filming
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Shoulda' saved it and fapped to it later... wait, no. That's just wrong.

Shoulda' saved it and fapped right infront of her!
Quote by Bushinarin
You're not supposed to film people without their consent.

that's only if you plan to distribute and sell the photo in question