I'm no good at music theory, so I figured I would just go ahead a pose a question to anyone who might hold any knowledge on it.

I'm trying to figure out a good scale to go over both a Cmaj7 chord and a Fmaj7 chord. From what I've read up, apparently the G major scale goes well with the Cmaj7 and the C major scale goes well with the Fmaj7, however, I was looking for something that gave a more eerie sound.

Any help?
You could play both chords with a F ionian(major). Also eerie is mostly in Vibrato and phrasing
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Thanks. I'll have to fool around with both scales when I have time tomorrow.
I'd go with the F Ionian/major scale. C Major would work fine but F would be more interesting.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Quote by eviledge87
I'd go with the F Ionian/major scale. C Major would work fine but F would be more interesting.

Agreed i love F Major
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by eviledge87

Okay, great. I'll take that into consideration. Thanks.
Hit that **** with a Cm harmonic.

Or if you're feeling like a cheeky bastard, go with F Hungarian Gypsy scale.
Quote by Archaon
Hit that **** with a Cm harmonic.

Or if you're feeling like a cheeky bastard, go with F Hungarian Gypsy scale.

Cmaj7 = C E G B
Fmaj7 = F A C E
C harmonic minor = C D Eb F G Ab B
F Hungarian Gypsy = F G Ab B C Db E

The C harmonic minor's Eb and Ab clash with the Cmaj7 chord's E and G, and F Hungarian Gypsy's Ab and Db clash with the Fmaj7's A and C. In both cases, the third is compromised, so I'm not sure those would be the best to go with.
Quote by :-D
Cmaj7 = C E G B
Fmaj7 = F A C E
C harmonic minor = C D Eb F G Ab B
F Hungarian Gypsy = F G Ab B C Db E

The C harmonic minor's Eb and Ab clash with the Cmaj7 chord's E and G, and F Hungarian Gypsy's Ab and Db clash with the Fmaj7's A and C. In both cases, the third is compromised, so I'm not sure those would be the best to go with.

Actually, you're right. I suppose I just like suggesting the harmonic minor because I've got those positions memorized fairly well.
Quote by Archaon
Actually, you're right. I suppose I just like suggesting the harmonic minor because I've got those positions memorized fairly well.

It's okay - some of the notes would be fine, but the third is a key tone so IMO you'd want to avoid the scales that would conflict with the third.
Quote by :-D
It's okay - some of the notes would be fine, but the third is a key tone so IMO you'd want to avoid the scales that would conflict with the third.

I'm going to remember to watch out for that one from now on.