Hey, I just bought a Peavey ValveKing half stack for $500, I don't know much about it, but the distortion isn't the best I've heard, though occassionally I can get a good sound when I adjust the EQ and Texture settings. However I'm considering buying a Boss Metalzone and a Digitech RP350 Effects Processor (I used to have the really old RP3 model a while back and liked it). Also: I have no footswitch for the ValveKing, I bought it used, and the guy wanted an extra $100 for it, I would have got it, but I didn't have any more money at the time. I play mostly heavy metal stuff like Children Of Bodom, Norther, Mors Principium Est and similar styles of metal.

1) Would the Metalzone have a better quality distortion than that of the Amp?

2) If I was to record directly from the RP350 but wanted to use my Metalzone distortion, would the quality differ or even work if I put my Metalzone before the RP350?
Last edited by Eunakritos at Apr 23, 2008,
That doesn't answer any of my questions... :\
I'm also buying all used.
Finding detailed used equipment is difficult sometimes.
Quote by Eunakritos
Hey, I just bought a Peavey ValveKing half stack for $500, I don't know much about it, but the distortion isn't the best I've heard, though occassionally I can get a good sound when I adjust the EQ and Texture settings. However I'm considering buying a Boss Metalzone and a Digitech RP350 Effects Processor (I used to have the really old RP3 model a while back and liked it). Also: I have no footswitch for the ValveKing, I bought it used, and the guy wanted an extra $100 for it, I would have got it, but I didn't have any more money at the time. I play mostly heavy metal stuff like Children Of Bodom, Norther, Mors Principium Est and similar styles of metal.

1) Would the Metalzone have a better quality distortion than that of the Amp?

2) If I was to record directly from the RP350 but wanted to use my Metalzone distortion, would the quality differ or even work if I put my Metalzone before the RP350?

The rp350 would be great. You can also bypass it through to the metalzone and keep the effects and the pedal. But the Rp350 distortion is much better than the metalzones. But its your choice.
My advice is to first maybe find a used shop that will rent you out an over drive (some still do, I used to do this a lot locally to try things) and see what it does... it may push the amp into the sound you want. But I have to ask that if you didn't like the sound, why did you buy it? It's very hard to sculpt a tone you like out of something you don't versus just tweak it from something you like to something you love.
1) DO NOT buy a Digitech Death Metal, Boss Metal Zone, or Digitech RP350. These will sound extremely digital, thin, and honestly you don't need one to coax metal out of this amp. These pedals are generally considered to be door stoppers and the salesmen in Guitar Center will try to sell them to you to make a quick buck.

2) You have a 100w tube half stack. I would recommend just getting an OD pedal such as the Maxon OD808, Fulltone OCD, or Ibanez TS9. All of these pedals will get you into metal.

3) Look at the tubes. If they're old or are Groove Tubes, EHX, or Ruby, i'd recommend changing them. With a valveking, four JJ 6L6GC power amp tubes, 1 Tung Sol preamp tube in V1, and two 5751 Preamp Tubes in v2 and v3. Go to the valveking thread for more info:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296&highlight=valveking

4) If you're absolutely set on a distortion pedal, I would go with an EHX Metal Muff. Significantly better than a death metal or rp350. Trust me.

5) Think about a speaker change, there's more info on what works in valveking cabs (which i'm assuming you have) for what styles in the valveking thread i gave you above.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
get a maxon 808 and use it to boost the VK's distortion into metal. and just buy a new footswitch, they're cheap
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.