Do you know in some songs, the artist puts an exert from a movie at the start?

My band wants to do this, but I'm just wondering what is involved in doing this? Do I have to ask for permission of the creator? Or just give them credit somehow?

Just wondering so I don't get sued.

Cheers, Felix.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
i think it depends on the length of the audio.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
Come again?

Guns N Roses used a quote from Cool Hand Luke on their song Civil War.

EDIT:
Quote by lateraluspiral
i think it depends on the length of the audio.

It's 30 seconds or 10% of the work as a whole, whichever is shorter, but that only applies to students using it for a school-related project. (aka Fair Use)
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
Guns N Roses used a quote from Cool Hand Luke on their song Civil War.

Ooh ok I get you now!

Yes, thats what I'm talking about.

I LOVE KENSAI
I'm pretty sure you can write it and perform it without any worries, but once you put it on an album I think you'll run into trouble without proper measures to obtain permission.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
mr tinkertrain from ozzy even used video for 30 seconds without permision, rob zombie with dragula too
Quote by HaKattack
Civil War-style! Nice

My favorite GN'R song by far.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by pavel
I'm pretty sure you can write it and perform it without any worries, but once you put it on an album I think you'll run into trouble without proper measures to obtain permission.

Do you know what these "proper measures" are? Because if we do use something it'll most likely go on our EP.

I LOVE KENSAI
A7X quoted Hunter S. Thompson in their video for Bat Country,but that song was an E P I C F A I L
Rob Zombie springs to mind, but I can't remember exactly which song...

Dude, you're a small local act I'm sure. Don't worry about it. See You Next Tuesday or some other band with an equally long and annoying name has albums which have multiple movie clips in pretty much each song. And it's also a pretty repeated fad amongst "deathcore" artists. None of these people go out of their way to look into getting copyright clearance and all that. Unless you're raking in big money on someone else's work, don't worry about it. Just like in your EP put something along the lines of "all movie clips belong to their respective owners" or some junk if you want to be careful.
slipknot uses a quote from...some movie..on they're song eyeless, the "the whole thing i think is sick" part...
93% of teenagers listen to rap music,if you are part of the 7% who listen to good music, put this in your siggy
Cryptopsy began the album none so vile with a sound clip for exorcist 3, and ended it with a clip from evil dead. Probably the coolest usage of soundclips
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Raise Your Fist- Throwdown, i think it was the breakfast club or something, lol
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ