Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I just have some questions about the universities in the UK (Scotland in particular).

Im an American (San Diego, CA) but I am a Scottish citizen by birth, my entire family lives in Glasgow, and I visit Scotland once a year or two and I love it there (yes, bad weather and all ). So, its only natural that I consider going to University there!

In particular, I would like to go to the University of Glasgow, but I know NOTHING of the British education system. Can anyone tell me anything about this uni? (Annual fees, their policy for international students, if anything is different since I am a citizen, etc.) and of course, if you attend there, I want to know more about this Uni!

And, while were on the topic, anyone here attend a British University?
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
i went to a scottish university. free to us but foreigners (including english lol) have to pay biatch. Not as much as in the US but its not cheap. Education standards in this country are among the worst in europe so you should find most courses are not so difficult.

Did you know Glasgow was the murder and knife capital of europe? Go to Edinburgh Uni. I would move to california anyday.
I go to Glasgow university. Depending on what you study it can be the best in the country or it can be average.

Education standards in the UK are actually pretty high for those willing to work to achieve, I don't know what winalot is talking about.

"Glasgow" is the murder and knife capital of Europe, true enough but the University is situated in the West End of Glasgow, which is probably the safest area of the city. Not to mention most of the crime is actually conducted in the outskirts and council estates and not the actual city itself.

International fees are pretty high, I think it might be as high as £10,000 to £15,000 per year.

Living costs are probably alot cheaper than most of the rest of the UK though.
I know about the knife crime and stuff guys, I have relatives on every end of glasgow (South, West and East) South isnt bad but I am sometimes afraid of going into the east haha.

From what I hear and have seen UG is in West Glasgow, which is pretty nice.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Eh, I see your point, but Cali isnt all nice either. We have good weather, but everything is more expensive than a mo'fo. A crappy apartment near the metropolis area can run you $800,000 or more, and a little house 30 miles from the city is $450,000 easy. Then theres living expenses, everything over here is more expensive because its California.

Plus, I love Scotland

And dont get me wrong, Cali (especially SD) is a wonderful place too.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by zippidyduda
Hey guys, I just have some questions about the universities in the UK (Scotland in particular).

Im an American (San Diego, CA) but I am a Scottish citizen by birth, my entire family lives in Glasgow, and I visit Scotland once a year or two and I love it there (yes, bad weather and all ). So, its only natural that I consider going to University there!

In particular, I would like to go to the University of Glasgow, but I know NOTHING of the British education system. Can anyone tell me anything about this uni? (Annual fees, their policy for international students, if anything is different since I am a citizen, etc.) and of course, if you attend there, I want to know more about this Uni!

Edinburgh Rawks!!!!11
Quote by /winalot
i went to a scottish university. free to us but foreigners (including english lol) have to pay biatch. Not as much as in the US but its not cheap. Education standards in this country are among the worst in europe so you should find most courses are not so difficult.

Did you know Glasgow was the murder and knife capital of europe? Go to Edinburgh Uni. I would move to california anyday.

never heard of Limerick have you? otherwise known as stab city

or Krakow(spelling?) in Poland

or alot of Italy

in terms of murder and that Glasgow is full of a load of filthy jocks on heroine but i'd take that over Kalifornia
Quote by imthehitcher

or alot of Italy

in terms of murder and that Glasgow is full of a load of filthy jocks on heroine but i'd take that over Kalifornia

Limerick might be known as stab city, but the Glasgow Royal Infirmary alone(one of 4 or 5 A&E units in the city) deals with around 1,000 stabbings each year. All told, the per capita rate of stabbings in Glasgow is higher than New York or Johannesburg. Though those places do have an awful lot more shootings.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I go to Glasgow university. Depending on what you study it can be the best in the country or it can be average.

Education standards in the UK are actually pretty high for those willing to work to achieve, I don't know what winalot is talking about.

"Glasgow" is the murder and knife capital of Europe, true enough but the University is situated in the West End of Glasgow, which is probably the safest area of the city. Not to mention most of the crime is actually conducted in the outskirts and council estates and not the actual city itself.

International fees are pretty high, I think it might be as high as £10,000 to £15,000 per year.

Living costs are probably alot cheaper than most of the rest of the UK though.

I r alumnus(though hardly a distinguished one). What are you studying?
Hey,

I'm an internationl student (canadian) studying at Glasgow Caledonian. Unless you're doing optometry, don't bother coming here. Glasgow uni is incredibly beautiful and in the nicest part of the city. With regards to the stabbings........if you keep your mouth shut around the neds, and don't go out all by yourself at night you're absolutely fine. My tuition is about 8000 quid a year.
www.ebaumsworld.com

check out garrison acoustic guitars
I've been planning on going to uni (probably Aberdeen uni) once I get back from Aus but have been thinking recently both my parents are Scottish born and I pretty much grew up there but, I was born in England and was wondering if anyone knows whether I would still get the free uni?
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Well I start at the University of Manchester in September and the main point to consider for international students seem to be course fees cost a lot more. However all international students are guaranteed a room in halls of residence throughout the entire duration of their course.

But if you are a Scottish citizen fees are FREE. Don't know whether living in California affects this but I don't see why it should.
Glasgow University is awesome. I go there, its great. The west end is jsut so laid back, i love it. Night life in glasgow too is so good, and i dont kno what people are on about, sure theres some crime, but weegies are among the nicest people ever.

Only downside is that the Student Union might end up going bankrupt... that will make me cry, no joke.
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
Quote by imthehitcher

or alot of Italy

yeah we are unwashed quarterbacks riding ontop of mythical historical characters
Uni is damn expensive here. A few years back or so the tuition fees were put from around £1000 to £3070.

I'm in my first year and I'm paying £3070 for fees, about £3465 for accomodation, and then there's living expenses. I'm given a loan for that of around £3000 but I probably won't use all of it.
I'm lucky because my parents are paying for all of that.
Isn't there discussion of raising the tuition fees to 9k a year though?

That would pretty much put off anyone who wants to do a PHD as it would but them in around 90k of debt from tuition fees alone
Quote by Rocking-Rob

That would pretty much put off anyone who wants to do a PHD as it would but them in around 90k of debt from tuition fees alone

Sod that, I'm still doing my PhD...then I'll become an academic, never earn above the 15k threshold and never have to start paying it back

(this depends on me finding a research field in English that's not already been done to death *searches*)
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Quote by The Lunatic
Glasgow University is awesome. I go there, its great. The west end is jsut so laid back, i love it. Night life in glasgow too is so good, and i dont kno what people are on about, sure theres some crime, but weegies are among the nicest people ever.

Only downside is that the Student Union might end up going bankrupt... that will make me cry, no joke.

Only the GUU, the QM aint goin bankrupt, so I'm fine with that

TS, I go to the University of Glasgow, its a pretty good uni, one of the best in Scotland, depending on the subject you wish to study of course. The west end is a fairly cool area. I can't remember how much international student shave to pay but it should say on here somewhere www.gla.ac.uk . There are things like international student meetings to help you settle in and all that, but seeing as you've been to Glasgow a fair bit they probably won't tell you much you don't already know.

Edit: Freedom Stains and The Lunatic, what do you guys study? I'm a Geographer
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by GHJ
Only the GUU, the QM aint goin bankrupt, so I'm fine with that

TS, I go to the University of Glasgow, its a pretty good uni, one of the best in Scotland, depending on the subject you wish to study of course. The west end is a fairly cool area. I can't remember how much international student shave to pay but it should say on here somewhere www.gla.ac.uk . There are things like international student meetings to help you settle in and all that, but seeing as you've been to Glasgow a fair bit they probably won't tell you much you don't already know.

Edit: Freedom Stains and The Lunatic, what do you guys study? I'm a Geographer

So would I count as an international student? Im a citizen but Im not a resident.

And if I were to mvoe to Scotland in the summer before attending uni, could I somehow cheat the system?
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

I'm going to St Andrews Uni next year. It kicks ass.

As far as I'm aware, the Scottish government only pays for your tuition fees if you went to school in scotland (which I did). Still costs over 3 grand a year for accomodation alone, but it's still a pretty good deal.
Wow, hearing all these prices, Scottish uni is FAR less expensive than most of our schools!
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by zippidyduda
Wow, hearing all these prices, Scottish uni is FAR less expensive than most of our schools!

Yeah, as far as I know we have it pretty easy in the UK...sure we complain cause until very, very recently students got non-repayable grants to study, but it's now a loan, which means automatic debt unless you're loaded, and the system just assumes that your parents will pay for you, cause if they have a high income you're entitled only to the base rate whether your parents are funding you or not, but the prices in the states seem to be astronomical.
I think you have to have lived in Scotland for the last 3 years to qualify for free tuition fees. One of my flatmates is Scottish, but he lived in Indonesia for a lot of his life so I believe he has to pay tuition fees. Whereas I'm English, but have lived in Scotland for 12 yrs, so I get it free
...Bleep Bloop...
The student loans are interest free though, and you only start paying them off once you're earning more than 15k a year, so they're not that bad. There's different quotas of how much money different places have to give you depending on your parents income. The lower the income, the more loans & grants you get & the less your parents have to pay, as it goes up, the loans fall a bit, the grants fall fast & your parents fill up the rest.
Yeah, I know, but it's still ridiculous that the government just expects your parents to fund you after the age of 18 if you want to go to uni, especially if you're at an institution which doesn't allow you to work during term time (ok, this is a tiny minority, w/e). Parents shouldn't be expected to chip in for people who are effectively adults just because they want to learn rather than go straight into work. Doesn't the government WANT more people at uni anyway? *mutters about foolishness*
Quote by zippidyduda

indeed you have it hard over there but its by no means cheap, especially when high earners can get taxed 40% plus
The student loans are there to help a lot with the parent contribution, I think they just want parents to contribute to try & reduce the amount of debt the people will have after leaving uni.

The government just wants to get their uni number up so they can look good, even if most people get degrees in 'media studies' or equally worthless degrees. They neglect the fact that we need tradespeople to keep the country running.
Yes, but given that they abolished the grant system and then assume parental contribution after there should be no need for it, they're not doing themselves any favours. Student loans in no way help 'a lot' with the amount that parents have to contribute. Sure they cover tuition and lodging, but if I were to try to live on the base rate loan then I'd have to stretch £300 over 9 weeks for food and course books after I've paid my £900-odd rent. Of course in the majority of cases parents are either happy to help out or the student in question can work, and I realise that I'm probably arguing from a very specific point of view, but I know a number of people who have to live off the base rate, have no parental support, cannot work during term time due to university policy and cannot work during the holidays because of a combination of far too much vac work and a lack of ability to commit to a long term contract. In summary, yes, the system is probably not as bad as I describe for most people, but in the particular cases I've seen the system is failing.
I don't really have much to say about this I suppose... I'm not at uni until September, I'm working this year to save up, & my parents are happy to pay for my accomodation...

But seriously, what kind of retarded uni doesn't let students work during term time??
Quote by zippidyduda

I am pretty sure that your fees for uni will be free with you being a Scottish citizen. I don't know if they change it just because you haven't lived there for so long.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by dangorironhide
I don't really have much to say about this I suppose... I'm not at uni until September, I'm working this year to save up, & my parents are happy to pay for my accomodation...

But seriously, what kind of retarded uni doesn't let students work during term time??

Oxford and Cambridge.
Quote by toasted_lemming
Oxford and Cambridge.

Heh... Ok, maybe not so retarded uni, but it's still a pretty stupid policy. With tuition fees like they have & being in the south of england it's like they're trying to get people into as much debt as possible
Quote by dangorironhide
Heh... Ok, maybe not so retarded uni, but it's still a pretty stupid policy. With tuition fees like they have & being in the south of england it's like they're trying to get people into as much debt as possible

Yeah, I know. I think the point of view is that you're there to work, and having a job would detract from that, which is patently true. The workload is insane, but that's what you sign up for. I think they assume that you can work in the vacs, but most employers have massive (and understandable) problems with employing people who'll only be around for half the year and who don't have a proven record of being reliable employees, which most students at Oxbridge don't, given that there's a general tendency to put far too much effort into academic work.
Quote by toasted_lemming
Yeah, I know. I think the point of view is that you're there to work, and having a job would detract from that, which is patently true. The workload is insane, but that's what you sign up for. I think they assume that you can work in the vacs, but most employers have massive (and understandable) problems with employing people who'll only be around for half the year and who don't have a proven record of being reliable employees, which most students at Oxbridge don't, given that there's a general tendency to put far too much effort into academic work.

Yeah I can understand that point of view, I suppose people put up with it thinking they'll get a (very) high paying job from having gone to those unis. All the small shops & shiz around there must be massively understaffed during the term time.
Mostly the Brookes students work in the shops in Oxford, I'm not so sure about Cambridge. And yes, most people either go for massively highly paid jobs or do postgrad. stuff and end up teaching, never earning enough to have to pay back the loans.

EDIT: this may be a somewhat cynical view of the academic life.
You still have grants (called bursaries) in Scotland, if you are resident here. Plenty of students have jobs during term time, but I manage fine just working during the holidays, plus my loan and bursary.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Rocking-Rob

I don't know about other disciplines but in the sciences there is no tuition fees for doing a phd. THEY pay YOU. Seriously. You get a £12-15,000 tax free stipend per year if you get funding from a decent research council.

My gf is doing a phd in cancer research next year in Edinburgh.
Page 1 of 2