For a while i have always been baffled by all the hate for guitar center around here. The guitar center near me is extremley well stocked, great priced, and the people there know what they are talking about for the most part. The mom and pop shops on the other hand dont even carry brands like fender, high priced, and ive been ripped off by one (i do however ask all my questions, buy all my picks, and get my guitar set up at a mom and pop shop because they have more experience there). I guess im alone here tho. I went to Kansas City to visit a cousin, he had a guitar center 5 minutes from his house, i was ****ing jealous but he drove me to it. I walked in and felt almost like i was at home. The first thing i saw was a Pearl pickguard stratocaster. This guy (he was an employee, probably a stoner) comes up and picks it up and says "yea this guitar is schweet" so i ask; "what kind of duncans are those?" the guy: "duncans??" Me:"you know, pickups" guy:"ummm..... theyre schweet pickups, and this is a schweet guitar"[fiddles with the whammy bar] "i guess they are seymour duncans or somehting, its awesome" I decided to try out some american stratocasters. one thing that was a bit wierd is that at the place near me the guitars are set up horribly but everything else about it is cool, this was the opposite, the people didnt know ****, half the guitars were missing tone knobs, but the action was set up great. kinda weird.

Anyway my younger cousin (different cousin) wanted to shop for amps, so i said "ok theres a guitar center near here" then i remembered how "well versed" the store employees were so i told him "ok these guys dont know ****, listen to me, i know a bit about amps, more than these guys do" so i got an idea of what he was looking for, so all i had to do was ask the guitar center employees if they carried a certain amp. Easy right???? so i walk in there and ask the nearest guy (different person)if they have the Kirk Hammet Kh15 Guy: "whooooooooooooaaaahhh, Kirk hammet has an amp????[serveral more whooooaaaaaaahhhs erupt from various locations in the store]" so i said "yea it was released like last month" {they carry guitar world so they must have seen the february cover of kirk hammet standing next to his new randall amp] Guy:"what is that, Fender?? marshall?? Boss?" Me:"randall" guy:"no i dont think we have that" so i showed my cousin around some Vox AD amps which he really liked. I was playing a schecter showing him through the amp models when this guy in a hawaiin shirt came near me and said "yo man you gotta turn that down in here" so i said "ok sorry bout that" then he said "duuuuuuuude, it was a joke, your supposed to laugh and go 'youre too old'" even tho he sounded pretty serious at first. so yea..... that was my experience there.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
i got called out by a 'jimmy wing' manager prick when i wanted to play a prs through a mesa boogie i was thinking about getting. he made me put the prs back and got me a $250 ibanez and treated me like there was no way i could afford the mesa(i was playing a '95 gibson explorer with emg 81's and a vintage music man hd212 with an '89 celestion loaded cab at the time but i didn't want to ruin his illusion). never really went there again unless i had to.
lmao! that made me laugh about the dude and the kirk hammet amp

the guys at my guitar center are really nice they came around always asking me and my cousin if we needed hep trying out somthing and we'd always say no cuz we was just looking but i'm never had any problems with my local guitar center
my guitar center in rockville is great. well stocked and the guitars are ready to play, not 12 strings though.... highest e is always broken. i always know what i want first and the small shops in dc are total **** so whenever i need something i'm just a 1 hour metro ride away.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
I find it EXTREMELY annoying when they come up to me and start running off random facts about the guitar i'm holding or playing or looking at or whatever.

Like honestly....I think theyre all on commission...so I mean it does make sense...but still annoys the ****ing **** out of me.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
mines great
The main people in guitar and accessories know their stuff although the others could use help.

And jeff the repair man makes some great guitars. but then again they're hollow body and i'm not to big on that although they are incredible for their application.

The biggest draw back is i have to go to Atlanta for the premium stuff aka diezel (mainly)
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Guy: "whooooooooooooaaaahhh, Kirk hammet has an amp????[serveral more whooooaaaaaaahhhs erupt from various locations in the store]"

That was hilarious. When I read that I just pictured some old stoner with long hair as guy 1, and a bunch of similar looking guys walking around the store then they just stop and go "woah".

My guitar center is pretty good. The employees that I've gotten to know, who have been there a long time are decently knowledgeable, very helpful and they won't BS you if they don't know something. They hired a new kid though and he's an idiot, shouldn't even be allowed in the place. I asked him for a input jack one time and he asked if I wanted a 3 way or 5 way.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I asked for 6 inline schaller tuning machines that i was putting on my mustang aftaer looking through the different styles they had instock(inline, 3+3, bass) the guy tried handing me les paul style 3+3 tuning machines. The guy was a little embarassed
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Our guitar center is sweet....probably cuz my guitar teacher is an x-employee and gets me 10% off everything in the store....and most the guys there are his buds. Here are some things that they have done besides take 10% everything

Given me a new boss ds-1 for 15$ because i asked for a used on the phone and they didn't have any used left

Given me a 250$ mandolin for 150$ with minimal bartering.....

Music go round has been good to me too, they have given me banjo discounts, free re-soldering and let me jam for endless time

Sam-ash reigns supreme though because i got my deville there.....4x10 deville for $500 used with cover and monsters(the $40 dollar cables and the $25 buck jumpers)...
My guitar center is pretty ok. There's one guy there who I absolutely hate (I've told stories about him in past GC threads) but, for the most part, the employees are knowledgeable enough and make up for whatever they might not know with being nice. That one guy though, I hope he dies.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
You guys are kinda lucky, I'd be going into GC all the time if I lived in the states just for entertainment purposes after hearing all the stories on here. The closest thing we have in Canada is a chain called Long & McQuade but its pretty tame there besides this one store close to my area where the guys have their heads so far up their ass. Others then that no excitement damn it!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
My guitar center is great like i said, the people there are nice and its extremley well stocked. This story took place in a Kansas City guitar center (like 1000 miles from where i live). ALso they had guitar hero there and half the stoners/employees where playing it and they pretty much talked about guitar hero more than guitar.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
whooooooooooooaaaahhh schweet thread duuuuuuuude.

ps. Whooooooooooooaaaahhh, Kirk hammet has an amp??????
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
yeah, the guitar center here isnt bad, even though it is literally across the street from a sam ash and I usually go to sam ash, but the worst place in town is Richmond Music. The guys there are such dicks. I went in to buy a stratocaster and had cash in hand and I was playing it (the guy set me up through teh ****tiest amp they had) and after about 2 minutes of playing he told me to put it back because he didnt want too many miles on it. I told him to eat poo and went to sam ash and bought a les paul.
yeah usually the people there dont know **** about guitars except for the technician who fixes guitars and what not. the GC near is pretty sweet except for the occasional douchebag that comes in and starts blasting noise through an MG
Dude, wait till you see some of the stores near me..
I asked for a string winder, the guy was like 'ahh yeah, these here are 2 dollars, and there was one over here *walks to a rack* which I'd recommend. It costs 40 dollars..'
Gah, no I will not pay for something when the cheaper item does the job..
The Kirk Hammett amp part made me think of the police in Hot Fuzz whenever he thinks there was a murder. Hilarious. My local guitar center is generally a cool place because the guys do not annoy you usually unless you ask most of the time, sometimes they will ask if you need help, but they do not push it if you say no. Of course, this could be due to the fact they know I've bought over $1000 in equipment. It's nice to be a prefferred shopper. Also, the guys know some things about guitars ecspecially since its in New Orleans.
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space… and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition… and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call… the Twilight Zone.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space… and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition… and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call… the Twilight Zone.

whooooooooooooooooooooaaaaa*reported*aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, the twilight zone, that show is awesome, especially the part where captain kirk hammet was on the plane, im gonna go play guitar hero now,. Whoooaaah
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
You guys a re lucky......My local shop is pants. The best guitar in the shop is a Mexican Strat....
Quote by Fuzzbox91
whooooooooooooooooooooaaaaa*reported*aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, the twilight zone, that show is awesome, especially the part where captain kirk hammet was on the plane, im gonna go play guitar hero now,. Whoooaaah

Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Apr 24, 2008,
i do all my shopping on there site

so you dont have to deal with all the dumb ****s

and they special order it for you
so its brand new
This story makes me glad there is no Guitar Center around here. The place i go to ,Advance music (Not trying to endorse them) is great. The people there know what they're talking about. All the people that work there have 10 years guitar playing minimum.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Whhoooooahhhh duuudddeee....

Wall of text!

lol yea...thats wat i thot
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional