Okay, so I've been looking into making some upgrades to my sound again. I have a boatload of things I would like to do, and only a small amount of time (however long the summer job lasts, to be exact ) to do it.

EDIT: Lemme rephrase that. What would be the SMARTEST order to go in, with the limitd amount of time that I have for a consistent flow of "teh monies"?

So, what I would like to know from the Gods of Gear here in GG&A.....

What is the order of importance that I should go for in this list? I'm looking to:

Swap my pickups
Speaker upgrade in Palo
OD/Boost pedal
Possibly a new neck for my Strat (one that is thicker)
Tube swap in Palo

Any advice/opinions/suggestions also in my choices for these upgrades would be greatly appreciated.

As far as speakers go, I've been considering V30's, Greenbacks, or Blues.

Pickups; I've been told to look into Bareknuckle and Rockmonkey.

OD/Boost; I've been looking into a Bad Monkey, perhaps a Keeley-modded Blues Driver. Maybe even an OCD.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 23, 2008,
Hmm... this is the order I would do it in if I were to do all of them...

1) OD/Boost pedal
2) Swap my pickups
3) Speaker upgrade in Palo
4) Tube swap in Palo
5) Possibly a new neck for my Strat (one that is thicker)

But to be honest... if you ARE gonna do all of them anyway, the order isn't that important... especially if you'll be doing all of them for sure over a pretty short period of time. My 2-cents.
Oh, it's not going to be a short period of time. Sorry, I should probably fix that.....

I meant, what would be the smartest order-... eh. Lemme just edit the original post....
--

--
Hmm... my first list is in order of greatest-to-least level of immediate-sound/tone change (in my opinion).

In other words... adding an OD/boost would be my first choice, since it will give you a better idea of what your current setup is capable of. My next choice would be a pickup swap, since you'll be able to significantly adjust your sound with different pickups (this should be a very noticeable different in your tone/sound). Then next I would swap my speakers; similar as the pickups, a noticeable change in your sound should be noticed (though in my opinion, a change in pickups is more likely to 'impress' you than a speaker change). Then, you can swap your tubes. You may or may not notice a change by doing this... it all sort of depends... but either way, a new tube set is always nice. And lastly, I'd do the neck... as it is more likely a change solely for feeling, rather than for sound.
Quote by CyBerAliEn
Hmm... my first list is in order of greatest-to-least level of immediate-sound/tone change (in my opinion).

In other words... adding an OD/boost would be my first choice, since it will give you a better idea of what your current setup is capable of. My next choice would be a pickup swap, since you'll be able to significantly adjust your sound with different pickups (this should be a very noticeable different in your tone/sound). Then next I would swap my speakers; similar as the pickups, a noticeable change in your sound should be noticed (though in my opinion, a change in pickups is more likely to 'impress' you than a speaker change). Then, you can swap your tubes. You may or may not notice a change by doing this... it all sort of depends... but either way, a new tube set is always nice. And lastly, I'd do the neck... as it is more likely a change solely for feeling, rather than for sound.

Why thank you sir. I greatly appreciate this. I think I'll follow that order...

--

--
CyBerAliEn has it in a good order. I should add that the Keeley BD-2 isn't all that, and is very overpriced considering he uses about $4 worth of parts. Unless you already have a BD-2, I wouldn't even consider it. I have the Keeley BD-2 and the OCD and although they are priced fairly closely, the OCD can do everything the BD-2 can plus so much more.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...