Until I can save up for an OFR.

The LFR on the ESP KH-202
The LFR JT580 on a Jackson DXMB
or an Edge III

I'm looking for a new guitar, budget less than or at $500. Play stuff like metallica, GnR, Jimi. Would like 24 frets, and a trem. Planning to change out the trem to an OFR, but curious as to which of these you guys think will give me the least amount of trouble for the time being.

edit: more questions post #26...
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Last edited by flydude at Apr 27, 2008,
JT580 is the best out of that pick.

But why dont you just straight up save for an OFR right now?

Whats your current guitar as well? these trems might not fit.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
current guitar, the gax in my sig.

Yea thinking about the S, but they all pretty much have 22 frets

and i should have added which would fit an OFR out of the 3 the best.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
I would take an RG over any of those if you are gonna change the tremolo ultimately. Save up and get the RGT42dx. Once you change the trem on that one for an OFR you will have one of the best guitars you could get for the money.
Quote by nyandres
I would take an RG over any of those if you are gonna change the tremolo ultimately. Save up and get the RGT42dx. Once you change the trem on that one for an OFR you will have one of the best guitars you could get for the money.

As much as i like that rg, i really don't think i want to go past $500. Specially $800, since if i did get the rgt42dx, i would get the rgt42dxfm which is blue/maple top.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
schaller is my favorite floyd rose wheter its licensed, official, or original floyds
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Careful though, if you wanna swap it for an OFR later on it might not fit. There are no standard dimensions for all Floyds except for the Schaller and OFR's (of course made by the same company) have the same numbers and can be swapped with ease. Another potential problem could be that on the licensed Floyd if they did a neck-through nut, the hole alignment could be different from an OFR nut, which on some models it is. Even with the top mounted screws it could still be different but its fixable, just refill those holes and redrill in the proper place cause they aren't that deep. So check into that.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Careful though, if you wanna swap it for an OFR later on it might not fit. There are no standard dimensions for all Floyds except for the Schaller and OFR's (of course made by the same company) have the same numbers and can be swapped with ease. Another potential problem could be that on the licensed Floyd if they did a neck-through nut, the hole alignment could be different from an OFR nut, which on some models it is. Even with the top mounted screws it could still be different but its fixable, just refill those holes and redrill in the proper place cause they aren't that deep. So check into that.

Yea was thinking about that too, anyone know out of the three trems listed above would be able to take an OFR without requiring any drilling or work like that? Anyone with actual experience of replacing a LFR with an OFR?
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Edge III's are direct swaps for OFRs I believe.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I think edge3's are direct swap to edgepro's

I have an edge (original) and it defiantly goes right back into tune after usage even if its 21 years old
The edge III is a horrible trem, but you can block it off until you have enough to buy an OFR. The Edge III is not a direct swap for the Edge Pro, but it is a direct swap for an OFR. I can't believe I am saying this, but go for the edge III as you can just buy an OFR and not a whole nother guitar.
if you want to change out the edge III it would definitely be the jackson one. they make awesome LFR's
Not all guitars with the Edge III will be a direct OFR swap without some routing. Some of them will, but some of them won't.

I would say just go with a guitar that either already has an OFR or has a quality LFR that you won't need to swap out anytime soon. Jackson and ESP LFRs are top notch IMO, much better than the Edge III. I would personally go with the KH-202, but the DXMG is a good guitar too. With either one you will want to change the pickups whenever you can, because passive EMGs just plain fail.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Not all guitars with the Edge III will be a direct OFR swap without some routing. Some of them will, but some of them won't.

I would say just go with a guitar that either already has an OFR or has a quality LFR that you won't need to swap out anytime soon. Jackson and ESP LFRs are top notch IMO, much better than the Edge III. I would personally go with the KH-202, but the DXMG is a good guitar too. With either one you will want to change the pickups whenever you can, because passive EMGs just plain fail.

I've yet to see a guitar with an Edge III that isn't a direct swap.
Quote by robsayswhat
I've yet to see a guitar with an Edge III that isn't a direct swap.

I can't find it right now, but a while ago someone posted a link to a site that listed which Edge III equipped models will fit an OFR and which ones won't without any modification. I believe the Edge Pro will work in any of them, though.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
. With either one you will want to change the pickups whenever you can, because passive EMGs just plain fail.

+1.
Save the troubles and just buy a DKMG.
I own a DXMG and the only thing that holds this guitar back is the pickups.
I think I am more confused now about what to get lol. Seems like the general consensus says that the edge III can be swapped with the OFR without problems. Looks like i'm leaning towards the ibanez now.
Another question, how long do you think the edge III will last since it seems like the worse trem of the ones listed.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Ibanez S series, and you dont have to worry. But if you dont like the 22 frets, just save up for somthing with a good quality trem, it will be better in the long run than replacing it.
You gotta look at it this way. Parts like the bridge, pickups, tuners, pots can all be replaced without much of a problem. The thing I'd be more concerned about it the overall quality of the guitar. How well its put together (if its a bolt on, how tight does the neck sit in the neck pocket for example) and the quality of the wood and so on. First thing I do when I pick up a guitar is run my fingers along the edge of the neck and feel the frets if they are sharp. Then check for gaps between the neck and body (I prefer bolt ons) and then play the guitar acoustically (unplugged) and see how well it sustains that way and the tone it gives off. If I still like it at that stage I'll then plug it in. Its always a balance in what you're willing to sacrifice and what is a must for you in terms of expectations when buying a new guitar.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I've been thinking, the only song i've been learning that goes past the 22nd fret is master of puppets, not like i can play that solo yet tho. I think i might go for an ibanez S, looking at the SAS32EX....
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SAS32EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518116

Questions...
Sat Pro II bridge good?
How are these true duo pick-ups?
And if i remember right from when i saw it in the store, it didn't have a bolt on neck?
And anyone with this guitar, how do you like it?
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Quote by nyandres
Or just get the ibanez S. Which has a trem better than any of those and even better than a OFR

So not true.
Be cool.
Quote by flydude
I think I am more confused now about what to get lol. Seems like the general consensus says that the edge III can be swapped with the OFR without problems. Looks like i'm leaning towards the ibanez now.
Another question, how long do you think the edge III will last since it seems like the worse trem of the ones listed.
At least a year if its set up fine, mines about 10 months old, works 100% as good as new.

Ive heard people go about 2-3 Years with theirs. Its really not a bad trem
Quote by flydude
I've been thinking, the only song i've been learning that goes past the 22nd fret is master of puppets, not like i can play that solo yet tho. I think i might go for an ibanez S, looking at the SAS32EX....
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SAS32EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518116

Questions...
Sat Pro II bridge good?
How are these true duo pick-ups?
And if i remember right from when i saw it in the store, it didn't have a bolt on neck?
And anyone with this guitar, how do you like it?
that doesnt have a floating bridge, thats more like a Fender Strats trem.
that doesnt have a floating bridge, thats more like a Fender Strats trem.

Yea i just realized that, well after you said it lol.

At least a year if its set up fine, mines about 10 months old, works 100% as good as new. Ive heard people go about 2-3 Years with theirs. Its really not a bad trem

If it does last a year then that would be perfect. I don't want to come home with the guitar and a month later its already giving me problems.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino